The What To Do With Boy Wonder Thread

20 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If you look up to week 8, the playcalling was abysmal. +70% passing with Joe Mixon running the ball? The decision to start Finley was laughably bad. Hell, I could keep going.  I've watched 40 years of Bengals football, and that set a new bar for ineptitude and futility.

I was probably a smart move to start Finley at that point in the season.  We were out of the playoffs and you need to see if there's any potential in your 4th round QB.  If not, you can look at QBs in the draft.  If he showed any potential, that would have opened up the draft.

28 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

All I keep hearing is give him better "assistants" and better players and he'll be a better coach.

Funny, I thought good coaches got the most out of their players and helped elevate their assistants. Instead we need assistants to cover up Taylor's deficiencies.

Sure, it was still Marvin's roster... But that also gives us a good A/B test of how Taylor is as a coach.

If you look up to week 8, the playcalling was abysmal. +70% passing with Joe Mixon running the ball? The decision to start Finley was laughably bad. Hell, I could keep going.  I've watched 40 years of Bengals football, and that set a new bar for ineptitude and futility.

The point is, Zac Taylor, despite any reasons for being 2-14, did not show me that he has what it takes to run a successful NFL team. So... We want to see if he figures it out on the job? The same crap was spewed when it was Dave Shula. Record aside, he showed no preparedness, no real adherence to a scheme, no real talent for putting the best 11 guys on the field. 

I understand the need/desire to move on from Marvin, but I thought the idea was someone who could get us over the hump. Now it's a year later and we're all happy with a "rebuild" featuring the office temp?

Taylor is a bad coach. You can hope he gets better, if you want to.

When 21 year old Michael Jordan and Andre Smith were the game one starters I knew this team was in deep deep shit.   A 4th round rookie and washed up turd defending Dalton’s blind side was a ridiculous idea.  Throw in the undrafted 21 year old WR Willis to the mix and it was obvious he was simply trying to be smarter than everyone else. He wasn’t. 

4 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I was probably a smart move to start Finley at that point in the season.  We were out of the playoffs and you need to see if there's any potential in your 4th round QB.  If not, you can look at QBs in the draft.  If he showed any potential, that would have opened up the draft.

i'll have to disagree , throwing a rookie 4th rounder into a situation of a bad OL and a defense that couldnt stop anyone that simply threw to the RB or TE. to allow him a chance to learn from his mistakes  , doesnt competently show you anything about his potential, only shows how i'll prepared he was for the job. so in short thanks to this great idea everyone has decided he doesnt have it as QB . so much for his career , might as well cut him. 

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

When 21 year old Michael Jordan and Andre Smith were the game one starters I knew this team was in deep deep shit.   A 4th round rookie and washed up turd defending Dalton’s blind side was a ridiculous idea.  Throw in the undrafted 21 year old WR Willis to the mix and it was obvious he was simply trying to be smarter than everyone else. He wasn’t. 

You act like he decided to start Andre and Michael over Williams, Cordy and Bolling, he didn't.  He also didn't have AJ.  It wasn't trying to be smarter, it was trying to find a way to win.  With the depleted team, he couldnt.  But the guys he did go into battle with NEVER FRIGGIN QUIT.  As shown in the last two weeks.  He Deserves another year!

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

This 

I have no issue with the idea that good teams should overcome injuries, but this team was down to players that had no business in the NFL and they were starting.

Just now, kennethmw said:

Who the fuck was he going to go get?  

At the point of the season they got hurt or had to retire in the case of Boling, that is about all you can get. Calm the fuck down Kenny, all I am saying is this team was not going to win many games from the start because of that.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

At the point of the season they got hurt or had to retire in the case of Boling, that is about all you can get. Calm the fuck down Kenny, all I am saying is this team was not going to win many games from the start because of that.

Sf2 implied that he did that because he was trying to be smarter than everyone else, not that he was forced into that, and you agreed.  

1 minute ago, kennethmw said:

Sf2 implied that he did that because he was trying to be smarter than everyone else, not that he was forced into that, and you agreed.  

I agreed with the injury situation being a problem. Stop being so God damned knee jerking contrarian all the damned time.

46 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

You act like he decided to start Andre and Michael over Williams, Cordy and Bolling, he didn't.  He also didn't have AJ.  It wasn't trying to be smarter, it was trying to find a way to win.  With the depleted team, he couldnt.  But the guys he did go into battle with NEVER FRIGGIN QUIT.  As shown in the last two weeks.  He Deserves another year!

I never said he didn’t deserve another year, just that the coaches tried to get cute early on but it bit them hard in the ass.

Andre Smith should have NEVER been an option but that is on Tobin more than Taylor.   Starting Jordan wasn’t fair to the rookie.  Willis over Tate simply made no sense. 

There were still some old experienced FAs out there that could have been signed that were better than Andre Smith.  Williams went to pup in June, not September. Still a Tobin issue to be fair.  However, the slobber fest by the coaches regarding the Hart re-signing was a head scratcher. 

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Tomorrow, he'll take the podium with MB, and they will reassure everyone that things are on track. 

Should there be a drinking game involved ?  

Mention Marvin Lewis, keep digging, we'll build upon..., never gave up, we'll add a few..., a few player's away, etc...  DRINK

2 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Should there be a drinking game involved ?  

Mention Marvin Lewis, keep digging, we'll build upon..., never gave up, we'll add a few..., a few player's away, etc...  DRINK

My doctor said no. 

Nahh fuck that, when you keep bringing back injured players you don't get to use injuries as an excuse.  Start the season with 53 healthy players for a change and that might hold up.  Don't be walking around with shit on your shoe complaining about the smell.

Browns fired Kitchens after 1 year. They instantly, without even hiring a new coach are more likely to win a playoff game before us. Because they at least are willing to admit they made a mistake. MB won't, so we'll get more years of Taylor's incompetence. After the interception return to the 3 yard line, we lined up in a spread with no back next to Dalton. Oy. 

Archived