The What To Do With Boy Wonder Thread

6 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Do you think Taylor has shown to be a better coach than ML?

Ridiculous question.

What Zac has actually shown is unquestionably inferior to what Marvin did. The team immediately took massive steps forward when Marvin took over. We regressed - or at best, stagnated - under Zac.

I keep hearing about how 'the cupboard was bare' when Zac took over. Marvin inherited a 2-14 squad, added a couple cheap spare parts in the offseason and molded them into an 8-8 team contending for the playoffs into the final few weeks of December.

Keep hearing about improvement. By November of Marvin's 1st year we were delivering signature wins against the 9-0 Chiefs. 2019? Sure, we progressed from turds to maggots. It is hard to not show improvement when you start 0-11.

If you want to argue that it was time to part ways with Marvin - fine. I won't debate that. It's probably best summed up as an "It's just not going to happen" type situation, as they say. The ingenious foreplay, the extra lube, the dildo and vibrator, just not going to get it done tonight. Best to just go to bed.

But even after a year, still the only thing Zac has going for him is 'potential.' That precious commodity of whistful gamblers, thinking of that magical 'upside,' what could be, even when the bank has foreclosed on your house. Sure, I guess Zac still has potential as an unproven and unknown quantity - like any of us. Put another way, this is the belief that Mike Brown has seen something in this lad that the rest of the league didn't notice. Doesn't sound so appealing anymore.

1 hour ago, Go Tory Go! said:

Ridiculous question.

What Zac has actually shown is unquestionably inferior to what Marvin did. The team immediately took massive steps forward when Marvin took over. We regressed - or at best, stagnated - under Zac.

I keep hearing about how 'the cupboard was bare' when Zac took over. Marvin inherited a 2-14 squad, added a couple cheap spare parts in the offseason and molded them into an 8-8 team contending for the playoffs into the final few weeks of December.

Keep hearing about improvement. By November of Marvin's 1st year we were delivering signature wins against the 9-0 Chiefs. 2019? Sure, we progressed from turds to maggots. It is hard to not show improvement when you start 0-11.

If you want to argue that it was time to part ways with Marvin - fine. I won't debate that. It's probably best summed up as an "It's just not going to happen" type situation, as they say. The ingenious foreplay, the extra lube, the dildo and vibrator, just not going to get it done tonight. Best to just go to bed.

But even after a year, still the only thing Zac has going for him is 'potential.' That precious commodity of whistful gamblers, thinking of that magical 'upside,' what could be, even when the bank has foreclosed on your house. Sure, I guess Zac still has potential as an unproven and unknown quantity - like any of us. Put another way, this is the belief that Mike Brown has seen something in this lad that the rest of the league didn't notice. Doesn't sound so appealing anymore.

What did you drink before banging this out? No way you were sober.

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Are you assuming that Jones wouldn't interview him otherwise, or that Marvin is unqualified, or both?

Kind of a fucked up comment either way IMHO but I'm trying to withhold judgement. 

Well, if Jones interviews more than one capable African American coach we will know the answer for sure.  If not, it is obviously open for speculation. 

Marvin being qualified has nothing to do with the Rooney Rule issue, it just gives Jones more cover. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Well, if Jones interviews more than one capable African American coach we will know the answer for sure.  If not, it is obviously open for speculation. 

Marvin being qualified has nothing to do with the Rooney Rule issue, it just gives Jones more cover. 

Yeah.

Well, and, let’s be honest, if most of us had the choice between Lewis and McCarthy...

Or, wait, am I just thinking that way because we HAD him? For nearly twenty seasons.

6 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Yeah.

Well, and, let’s be honest, if most of us had the choice between Lewis and McCarthy...

Or, wait, am I just thinking that way because we HAD him? For nearly twenty seasons.

Don’t be a drama Queen, it was only 16 years!  😜

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Don’t be a drama Queen, it was only 16 years!  😜

Ha!

It’s like that whole “when am I in my late-30’s?” argument.

36? Nah, man, that’s still mid-30’s.

See? 31-32-33, early thirties. 34-35-36, mid thirties. 37-38-39, late thirties.

But, what about “30?” 

“...”

Marvin’s sixteen, at the end, felt way closer to two decades.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

"We have a request going out to Mrs Vanetta Lewis.  Its that old Willie Nelson classic,

"Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys".

Hit it, Willie.

I mean, start singing the song.

:smoke:

"Uhhh... what?"  -Willie, probably

starts playing City of New Orleans

On 1/2/2020 at 3:30 PM, SF2 said:

I think Taylor simply didn’t want his named etched onto the 0-Fer wall of shame.  It’s an elite club nobody wants to be a member of.  Kind of like employee of the month at a Death Camp. He put Dalton in to win 1 game plus as it was obvious Finley was probably not going to pull it off. 

Reports were that Finley was "broken". Taylor COULDN'T have started him again and kept the respect of his team.

You pissed off a guy who has been loyal and who is going to be needed next year when we draft Burrow anyway. You took a 4th round rookie and shattered his confidence behind a makeshift o-line.

And if you're telling me that Taylor's eye for talent is so piss-poor that he has to put guys in live games to see if they can play??? That explains him starting everyone, including the peanut vendors, to play LT, LG, RG, C... That's hilarious.

7 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And if you're telling me that Taylor's eye for talent is so piss-poor that he has to put guys in live games to see if they can play??? That explains him starting everyone, including the peanut vendors, to play LT, LG, RG, C... That's hilarious.

He should have went with whoever fills these things:

Image result for ketchup dispenser

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Reports were that Finley was "broken". Taylor COULDN'T have started him again and kept the respect of his team.

You pissed off a guy who has been loyal and who is going to be needed next year when we draft Burrow anyway. You took a 4th round rookie and shattered his confidence behind a makeshift o-line.

Hold on there Padre, I only said Zac put Dalton back in to win a game so he didn't become a footnote in the record books, I made no mention of my opinion of his coaching ability. 

Honestly, he did a few things this year that totally made me scratch my head:  

1. Started rookie Michael Jordan at guard in the first game.  That made almost no sense.  I think the guy has potential but you don't start a raw, later round rookie there when you have an experienced player like John Jerry or even Price on the roster.   He was obviously not ready.

2. Started Damion Willis over Tate or even Erickson game 1.  WTF was that?  There is NO comparison between Tate and Willis.  And please, I don't want to hear any, "He looked great in practice"  bullshit.  Most of us here have coached sports teams.  I have coached high end youth teams for 25 years.  The best player ALWAYS LOOK THE BEST in practice.  ALWAYS.  I have never had a kid who looked great in practice and played like utter shit in a real game.  I have never had a guy who looked like shit in practice and kicked ass in the real game.  That is all bullshit particular at the high end youth level and ABOVE. 

3. The whole Glenn thing.  Ok, assume he had a concussion that long.  Then, he was cleared for practice and DID NOT PLAY.  In fact, he didn't play for a few games and was fined and sat for one as a punishment.  Why in the fuck would you sit a guy who is without a doubt your best available left tackle BY FAR for multiple games when the alternative is a fucking useless swinging door?   You started Finley with John Jerry at LT with a HEALTHY Cordy Glenn on the bench.   John Jerry who had NEVER played LT.   Ridiculous.

4. The Finley fiasco was unnecessary.  You put a guy out there with no offensive line and basically fed him to the wolves.  It was a bullshit move. 

4 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Upgrading to a guy who can't win in the regular season... Priceless.

The Jury is still out on that.  Marvin went 8-8 two years in a row and then got a guy by the name of Carson Palmer before he went 11-5.  In his first 8 seasons, only two of them were above .500.  Marvin definitely brought some respectability at times to this franchise, but he also brought alot of mediocrity as well.  Yes, 8-8 is much better than 2-14.  At the end of the day, what does it really get you?  He definitely consistently won games the first half of the decade during the regular season, but by that time he had already been here nearly 10 years.  At the end of the 2021-2022 season, if they arent winning more than they are losing with Burrow and some other additions, then Taylor can start to be looked at as a failed coaching hire.  

To be fair, i do not think the cupboard was bare this year.  I do think there were some shitty circumstances that arose, however.  There is talent on this team moving forward.  They have a great opportunity to add to that.  Taylor needs to show progression (6,7,8 or better wins) next year for sure.   

2 hours ago, membengal said:

The Rams for some reason have let Wade Phillips go. Now THERE's a coach that I would love to see Taylor bring in  - and he certainly has the connection from his time at the Rams. 

Dude is 72 years old and his defense was mid teens.  Time to move on.  

15 minutes ago, membengal said:

Dick LeBeau coached as d-coordinator from age 67-77 for the Stealers and went to three super bowls in that time. Not sure Phillips' age is a reason to pass on him...

Well, he took over the 9th ranked defense and they promptly went 19th, 19th and 13th.  He was there to be a calming influence to Boy Wonder ver 1.0.  He accomplished that and now it is time to move on.   The cool kids don't want Dad hanging around.   He is a decent d coordinator but meh, time to move on. 

As far as LeBeau goes, his time at Pittspuke his defenses were, starting it 2017 and working backward:  4th, 17th, 4th, 1st, 2nd, 6th, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th and 2nd.  I think you can overlook age when your defense is that ridiculously good year after year.  Probably best defensive coordinator in history to be honest.   His defenses in the 80s in Cincy  were great as well. 

Archived