Good riddance to the Andy Dalton "era"

Here is hoping that is the last time we see Dullton starting for the Bengals ever again. Amusing that the dumbest fans in the league chanted his name as he left PBS.  I imagine Ravens and Stiller fans would cheer him on as well.

Good - Regular season, non-primetime Dalton against mediocre/bad teams

Bad - Playoff Dalton; 0 wins, 1 passing TD

Ugly - Injuring thumb after throwing god-awful red zone INT against Stillers; unforced fumble against the Chargers in playoffs; being the rookie victim of JJ Watt's coming out party (pick six); thursday night game against the Browns.

The thursday night game has a special place in my heart as I attended that game.  He was truly horrid. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11/7/7173031/andy-dalton-bengals-browns-performance

I am also ready to move on from Dalton, he is what he is....BUT let’s not crap on the guy on the way out. He gave us a lot of great moments and I still believe the 2012 team would have won multiple playoff games had he not broken his thumb, if not the Super Bowl. Let’s hope Burrow comes in and becomes the next Brady but Dalton has never been the biggest reason the team didn’t win in my opinion. 

It's time - but give the guy some credit.

Player Gms Att Cmp Pct Yds Int TD Lg Rating
1. Ken Anderson, 1971-86 192 4,475 2,654 59.3 32,838 160 197 94t 81.9
2. Andy Dalton, 2011-19 133 4,449 2,757 62.0 31,594 118 204 86t 87.5
3. Boomer Esiason, 1984-92,97 134 3,564 2,015 56.5 27,149 131 187 86t 83.1
4. Carson Palmer, 2004-10 97 3,217 2,024 62.9 22,694 100 154 78t 86.9
5. Jeff Blake, 1994-99 75 2,221 1,240 55.8 15,134 62 93 88t 79.3

1 hour ago, palmer4mvp said:

I am also ready to move on from Dalton, he is what he is....BUT let’s not crap on the guy on the way out. He gave us a lot of great moments and I still believe the 2012 team would have won multiple playoff games had he not broken his thumb, if not the Super Bowl. Let’s hope Burrow comes in and becomes the next Brady but Dalton has never been the biggest reason the team didn’t win in my opinion. 

I can’t recall many good moments, every time he had the ball I was looking for a fumble, pick or one of those clumsy runs short of the first down marker, or a pass no where near the receiver. Far to inconsistent and choked under pressure. Was a great match for ML though

9 minutes ago, Go Tory Go! said:

Bunch of fools in this thread. Be careful what you wish for. It is likely to be a long time before we see an era as good.

Reminds me of those early 90s Shottenheimer led Chiefs teams.  Snuck into the playoffs with 9 to 11 wins 5 straight times.  Finally won 13, got a bye and lost first game.   Marty was 3-7 at KC in playoffs. 

46 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Reminds me of those early 90s Shottenheimer led Chiefs teams.  Snuck into the playoffs with 9 to 11 wins 5 straight times.  Finally won 13, got a bye and lost first game.   Marty was 3-7 at KC in playoffs. 

That's who I always compared Marvin to my coworkers...Shottenheimer.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Other than the 5 consecutive winning seasons you mean?  How long do you think it will be before the next QB matches that?  I'm betting it's more than 5 years from now.  Any takers?

I’ll take that. 2 or less.

2-14, but we aren’t quite as broken as the record indicates. We lost what, eight games by a score or less? We are a couple players and some more learned coaching away from success.  

Things can turn around fast in today’s NFL.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Other than the 5 consecutive winning seasons you mean?  How long do you think it will be before the next QB matches that?  I'm betting it's more than 5 years from now.  Any takers?

He will only need 1 playoff win to exceed Dalton. Sorry, early on I saw the limitations with Andy and felt we should have looked for someone better. 

29 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

2-14, but we aren’t quite as broken as the record indicates. We lost what, eight games by a score or less? We are a couple players and some more learned coaching away from success.  

If you have the management to turn it around fast

I thank Dalton for all the AJ moments to get me through the years but definitely been his time to go for awhile. If AJ leaves I’m ok with it but need a FA to get the doubles off Boyd since Ross will be injured as usual. Wouldn’t mind getting rid of Erickson. Need a few LB’s, OL, but is this organization going to do things right for once? I can only hope 

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

I should clarify;  I'm wondering how long we'll wait to see another 5 consecutive winning seasons.   I think it may be a while.  

To your point though I don't expect a winning season next year, either.  Too many holes in the roster & no sense of urgency in fixing that or any other problem.

I guess if you are a Bengals fan you settle on a guy like Andy Dalton.  He's "OK" as they say in the commercials.  If you actually have plans to win in the playoffs you need someone better.  I have no vitriol for the guy, but it is past time that the Bengals move on.  Yes, the next guy may not be as good.  (Not likely if that guy is Joe Burrow.)  Yet if you actually think a team should press to improve and want to reach the ultimate goal of the Super Bowl you have to have someone better than Andy Dalton.

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

This thread just seems...unnecessary. 

The most ludicrous time on this board is right before the season starts and when it ends.  From Hope and Dreams to crippling depression in 17 weeks. 

It makes me sad to see the Dalton-Green era end.  (Green may be on the team next year, but his era is effectively over.) When they came in 2011, I really thought we might win a Super Bowl with those two as the foundation, but then it became apparent that neither man had what it took when the lights got bright.  Maybe it was a by-product of having ML (who also wilted in big games) as their head coach, I don't know.

Bottom line, though, is that it's time to move on from AD.  I'm fine if Green wants to come back and...you know...actually play football, and do so with the right attitude, but I won't lose any sleep if he goes.  There are holdovers from ML's team that have shown that they're ready to be hard asses and help build something, but I don't get the feeling that Green is one of them.  If he's not, the door is right over there, so hobble right on out, and try not to hurt yourself doing it.

As for AD's stats compared to Ken Anderson and the other QBs, I don't think it's a fair comparison at all.  There's a reason all the passing records are dominated by seasons from the past decade.  

Archived