Good riddance to the Andy Dalton "era"

On 12/29/2019 at 9:31 PM, Go Tory Go! said:

Bunch of fools in this thread. Be careful what you wish for. It is likely to be a long time before we see an era as good.

They were 77-86-2 to include 0-5 in the playoffs.  It wasn’t a good era.  A losing record and zero playoff wins isn’t acceptable to any owner except 2.  

5 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Hence, this comment......

Its already been a long time.  😉

I hear you brother.  Celebrating mediocrity is the characteristic of a loser.  Is it asking too much for a playoff win or appearance in the AFC Championship once every 20 years?

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

They were 77-86-2 to include 0-5 in the playoffs.  It wasn’t a good era.  A losing record and zero playoff wins isn’t acceptable to any owner except 2.  

spacer.png

Don't know where your numbers are from, they are incorrect. Perhaps you are counting the preseason...are you a Browns fan in disguise?

Actual W-L-T record in Andy Dalton regular season starts: 70-61-2, even after this year's debacle.

Including his 4 playoff losses: 70-65-2.

Whether you or Mike Brown deem it acceptable or not, this is the best QB winning percent in Bengals franchise history. Perhaps it doesn't truly register as a 'good era' considering the playoff failures. I never said it was. But whatever it is, it is likely to be a long time until we see an era as good.

3 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

And SF will still be counting his non-playoff win year totals for the foreseeable future. Will the default setting remain the same for blame?

Hell no! Burrow is going to be Super Bowl MVP before he even leaves the stage

1 hour ago, Go Tory Go! said:

spacer.png

Don't know where your numbers are from, they are incorrect. Perhaps you are counting the preseason...are you a Browns fan in disguise?

Actual W-L-T record in Andy Dalton regular season starts: 70-61-2, even after this year's debacle.

Including his 4 playoff losses: 70-65-2.

Whether you or Mike Brown deem it acceptable or not, this is the best QB winning percent in Bengals franchise history. Perhaps it doesn't truly register as a 'good era' considering the playoff failures. I never said it was. But whatever it is, it is likely to be a long time until we see an era as good.

I simply picked this decade, 2010-19.  The Andy Dalton era produced zero playoff wins.  The Marvin Lewis era produced no playoff wins.  The AJ Green and McCarron era produced no playoff wins.   Dalton is just a player on my favorite team that simply didn’t get it done. None of them did. 

Great teams play for championships, good teams try for playoff runs, the Bengals play for Gatorade

The best part of this thread is the irrational defenses several people have to Andy's sucking.  Look how the team was before he showed up. Look at how the team played this year while he was gone.  Yeah, Findley not being starting QB caliber should take away from the fact that Dullton was one of the worst QBs in the NFL this year.  He probably was the worst QB in the NFL counting those who started week 1.  He truly sucked.  And yet, stupid fans chanted his name when he left PBS at the end of this dreadful season. 

Maybe things would have turned out differently if he hadn't broken his thumb.  Maybe they would have beaten the Stillers that day and gotten a 2 seed.  Or more likely Dullton would failed that day and failed again in the playoffs.

I still remember the playoff game against the Chargers.  At home where they went 8-0.  Against a team they already beat on the road.  First half, the goat was Bernard who if he didn't fumble could have led to a 14-7 lead.  Instead it was 10-7.  The highlight of the second half was Dullton's idiotic dive and fumble without even being hit.  The epitome of Bengal playoff failure.  But it was actually worse than that.  After the Chargers took the lead 14-10, witness the suckitude:

14 10 0.000 0.000
3 6:53     SDG 35 Nick Novak kicks off 64 yards, returned by Brandon Tate for 28 yards (tackle by Nick Novak) 14 10 0.000 -0.870
3 6:41 1 10 CIN 29 Andy Dalton sacked by Jarret Johnson for -4 yards 14 10 0.870 -0.210
3 5:57 2 14 CIN 25 Andy Dalton pass incomplete short right intended for Jermaine Gresham 14 10 -0.210 -0.890
3 5:51 3 14 CIN 25 Andy Dalton right end for 12 yards. Andy Dalton fumbles, recovered by Jahleel Addae at CIN-46 (tackle by Marvin Jones) 14 10 -0.890 -2.520
          Replay Assistant challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was upheld.        
3 5:41 1 10 CIN 46 Eddie Royal left end for 9 yards (tackle by Michael Johnson) 14 10 2.520 3.190
3 5:11 2 1 CIN 37 Danny Woodhead left guard for 9 yards (tackle by Rey Maualuga) 14 10 3.190 3.710
3 4:48 1 10 CIN 28 Danny Woodhead right end for 3 yards (tackle by Carlos Dunlap and Rey Maualuga) 14 10 3.710 3.570
3 4:13 2 7 CIN 25 Philip Rivers pass incomplete short right intended for Eddie Royal 14 10 3.570 2.870
3 4:08 3 7 CIN 25 Philip Rivers pass complete short left to Keenan Allen for 12 yards 14 10 2.870 4.710
3 3:33 1 10 CIN 13 Danny Woodhead left tackle for 4 yards (tackle by Carlos Dunlap) 14 10 4.710 4.770
3 2:50 2 6 CIN 9 Danny Woodhead up the middle for 3 yards (tackle by Rey Maualuga) 14 10 4.770 4.560
3 2:09 3 3 CIN 6 Philip Rivers pass incomplete short left intended for Danny Woodhead 14 10 4.560 3.010
3 2:04 4 3 CIN 6 Nick Novak 25 yard field goal good 17 10 3.010 3.000
3 2:04     SDG 35 Nick Novak kicks off 66 yards, returned by Brandon Tate for 25 yards (tackle by Bront Bird) 17 10 0.000 -0.540
3 1:54 1 10 CIN 24 Giovani Bernard right guard for 2 yards (tackle by Manti Te'o) 17 10 0.540 0.270
3 1:24 2 8 CIN 26 Andy Dalton pass incomplete 17 10 0.270 -0.430
3 1:19 3 8 CIN 26 Andy Dalton pass incomplete short right intended for Mohamed Sanu is intercepted by Shareece Wright at CIN-33 and returned for 30 yards (tackle by Mohamed Sanu) 17 10 -0.430 -6.510
3 1:11 1 3 CIN 3 Danny Woodhead left end for -3 yards (tackle by Reggie Nelson). Penalty on James Harrison: Face Mask (15 Yards), 3 yards 17 10 6.510 6.510
3 0:36 1 3 CIN 3 Penalty on Philip Rivers: Delay of Game, 5 yards (no play) 17 10 6.510 5.370
3 0:10 1 8 CIN 8 Philip Rivers pass incomplete short left intended for Danny Woodhead 17 10 5.370 4.570
3 0:05 2 8 CIN 8 Danny Woodhead up the middle for 7 yards (tackle by Rey Maualuga) 17 10 4.570 5.170
Quarter Time Down ToGo Location Detail SDG CIN EPB EPA
4th Quarter
4 15:00 3 1 CIN 1 Ronnie Brown right tackle for -4 yards (tackle by Rey Maualuga) 17 10 5.170 3.010
4 14:20 4 5 CIN 5 Nick Novak 23 yard field goal good 20 10 3.010 3.000
4 14:20     SDG 35 Nick Novak kicks off 58 yards, returned by Brandon Tate for 21 yards (tackle by Richard Marshall). Penalty on Vincent Rey: Offensive Holding, 10 yards 20 10 0.000 0.370
4 14:10 1 10 CIN 11 Giovani Bernard right guard for -1 yards (tackle by Donald Butler) 20 10 -0.370 -0.850
4 13:39 2 11 CIN 10 Andy Dalton pass complete short right to A.J. Green for 11 yards (tackle by Shareece Wright) 20 10 -0.850 0.340
4 13:12 1 10 CIN 21 Giovani Bernard left guard for no gain (tackle by Jarret Johnson) 20 10 0.340 -0.200
4 12:38 2 10 CIN 21 Andy Dalton pass complete short left to Giovani Bernard for 13 yards (tackle by Richard Marshall) 20 10 -0.200 1.200
4 12:11 1 10 CIN 34 Giovani Bernard left tackle for 6 yards (tackle by Corey Liuget and Melvin Ingram) 20 10 1.200 1.470
4 11:38 2 4 CIN 40 Andy Dalton pass complete short right to Marvin Jones for 8 yards (tackle by Shareece Wright) 20 10 1.470 2.130
4 11:15 1 10 CIN 48 Andy Dalton pass complete short middle to Giovani Bernard for 17 yards (tackle by Marcus Gilchrist and Manti Te'o) 20 10 2.130 3.250
4 10:33 1 10 SDG 35 Andy Dalton pass incomplete short left intended for Tyler Eifert is intercepted by Melvin Ingram at SDG-32 and returned for 3 yards (tackle by Tyler Eifert). Pen

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

The best part of this thread is the irrational defenses several people have to Andy's sucking.  Look how the team was before he showed up. Look at how the team played this year while he was gone.  Yeah, Findley not being starting QB caliber should take away from the fact that Dullton was one of the worst QBs in the NFL this year.  He probably was the worst QB in the NFL counting those who started week 1.  He truly sucked.  And yet, stupid fans chanted his name when he left PBS at the end of this dreadful season. 

yea its all Daltons fault! even those 3 games he didnt start.... all those TEs and FBs the def didnt cover... yep daltons fault.   actually the only thing that sucked more over the duration of Daltons career is the dribble of incoherent and ignorant bashing of anyone and anything that didnt subscribe to your rant of the moment.   so enjoy your celebration,  until this team provides a OL that can block and a def that can cover a TE or RB  no QB will match what he did manage to accomplish with this organization, let alone survive it does not matter who you put back there. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The San Diego playoff game was when my oldest child gave up on the Bengals.  She is now a Browns fan which pisses me off to no end.  Her opinion is the Bengals don’t even try to get better. 

Kindly remind her that the Browns only won 42 games this decade. 

It’s tough being the parent of a Browns fan. I feel your pain.

9 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Kindly remind her that the Browns only won 42 games this decade. 

It’s tough being the parent of a Browns fan. I feel your pain.

Nah, it’s all about Baker Mayfield.  Today’s youth follow players, not teams. They follow their social media feeds, not the teams.  She likes Gardner Minshew as well.   She will probably be a Bengals fan again if we draft Joe Burrow since she was at OSU when he was.  She is also friends with KJ Hill so will follow him as well.  

My youngest son is a huge LeBron fan so he has followed him around to whatever team he is playing for at the time.  He was also a big Kobe fan so he is happy LeBron ended up at the Lakers.

13 hours ago, tibor75 said:

The best part of this thread is the irrational defenses several people have to Andy's sucking

I don’t really understand the need to bash a guy that gave everything he had to this city (on the field and off) simply because he wasn’t a great QB. I mean you act like he killed your dog or something...tell me how THAT’S not being irrational. 

How is it Andy’s fault that the team stuck with him for all of those years instead of trying to find someone better? Isn’t that where all of the angst should be pointed towards?

Bashing Andy on his way out the door is just petty and mean spirited. Let the guy leave out of here in peace, he at least deserves that much.. 

On 12/30/2019 at 12:38 PM, BengalFanInTO said:

Andy Dalton has been a decent to good regular season QB, Unfortunately, when it came to prime time games, games against rivals or the playoffs he traditionally pissed his pants. So did Marvin Lewis. I hold no ill will for Andy but, his time here has come and gone.

It seemed like a byproduct of the whole, "head down, next play" approach. The team was very good considering that was the strategy seemingly 100 percent of the time. I never sensed the team was prepared for adversity, and any opponent good enough to elevate the matchup to "big game status", is not going to be locked into that strategy like we were. It always bit us in the ass. Remember all those gadget plays from the "star wars offense", in 2015?  That was all fine and good, but I'd have much preferred the team having some 4th and short plays ready to go rather than taking a timeout, letting their defense catch their breath, than committing a false start out of that timeout and punting anyway.

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

I don’t really understand the need to bash a guy that gave everything he had to this city (on the field and off) simply because he wasn’t a great QB. I mean you act like he killed your dog or something...tell me how THAT’S not being irrational. 

How is it Andy’s fault that the team stuck with him for all of those years instead of trying to find someone better? Isn’t that where all of the angst should be pointed towards?

Bashing Andy on his way out the door is just petty and mean spirited. Let the guy leave out of here in peace, he at least deserves that much.. 

yeah.. he should have just quit on the team. people seem to admire the one that did and he didn't win shit either

43 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

yeah.. he should have just quit on the team. people seem to admire the one that did and he didn't win shit either

The one that quit on the team?  Are you talking about AJ Green?

13 hours ago, spicoli said:

I don’t really understand the need to bash a guy that gave everything he had to this city (on the field and off) simply because he wasn’t a great QB.

haha.  I love ignorant comments like this.  Gave it his all?  I hope he did for millions of dollars per year.  Stop acting like he is some saint.  He got paid millions to play football.  And he choked in the biggest moments.  And now he is one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

Even when I attended the 2.0 passer rating Thursday night debacle against the Clowns, I have never booed Dalton.  But I won't stupidly praise the guy either. 

He sucks now...and now he can get his ass out of town.  And hopefully stop crying like a 5th grader about getting bad news on his birthday.

On 12/29/2019 at 4:45 PM, palmer4mvp said:

I am also ready to move on from Dalton, he is what he is....BUT let’s not crap on the guy on the way out. He gave us a lot of great moments and I still believe the 2012 team would have won multiple playoff games had he not broken his thumb, if not the Super Bowl. Let’s hope Burrow comes in and becomes the next Brady but Dalton has never been the biggest reason the team didn’t win in my opinion. 

he had top tier weapons.

he had top teir defense 80% of his career.

how in the world was he not the reason we didnt win?

look at his performance in every single playoff games and prime time game and game that mattered?

what am i missing?

he threw for 4k yards twice in 9 years........ twice...

an average of 10 QBs throw for 4k yards per season.. thats a third of the entire league..... and he managed it twice..

he is the king of doing the least with the most around him.

give tom brady or aaron rogers: green, sanu, jones, eifert, hill and bernad,  and the following defensive ranks:

2011: top 10 (9)

2012: top 10 (8)

2013: top 10 (6)

2014: 12th

2015: top 10 (2)

2016: top 10 (8)

2017: 16th

2018: 30th

so in the 8 pre-benched years.. he had a top 10 defense 5/8 seasons. 

no qb in the world has been given more tools to work with in their first 6 seasons...

and he couldnt even win a wild card game with that supporting cast...here is those stats:

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 10.30.27 PM.png

not to mention all of the red zone picks, the sacks taking us out of FG range, the obvious telegraphed passes getting battted down, he is the screen pass champion. getting bernard murdered over and over..

Archived