Offseason plans/thoughts

Their offensive system was predicated on having a somewhat competent offensive line to begin the season.  That all went out the window with Williams and Glenn out, Boling’s unexpected retirement and Price being almost useless to start the season.  At that point they had to revert to a simple blocking scheme and throw in 2 TEs to block. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Their offensive system was predicated on having a somewhat competent offensive line to begin the season.  That all went out the window with Williams and Glenn out, Boling’s unexpected retirement and Price being almost useless to start the season.  At that point they had to revert to a simple blocking scheme and throw in 2 TEs to block. 

1/2 true. I am certain the team knew Boling would either pack it in or he would play poorly due to his issues. Counting on Price was a mistake, he showed zippo in 2018. Williams was out early ion camp and by then they should have known the OL was shit and they had to make changes. Instead, we heard Taylor babble on for 10 weeks about challenging the OL to win one on one battles, etc. Hopefully, he has learned to adapt much quicker. he will need that skill working for the Inbreds. 

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

A good coaching staff can overcome some of the liability of the Bengals front office. But we don't have a good coaching staff. It's likely the worst in the league. So it compounds the problems. 

Yup. Draft and develop model with a weak scouting staff and weak coaching staff where you ask the coaches to also scout. What could go wrong?

10 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

1/2 true. I am certain the team knew Boling would either pack it in or he would play poorly due to his issues. Counting on Price was a mistake, he showed zippo in 2018. Williams was out early ion camp and by then they should have known the OL was shit and they had to make changes. Instead, we heard Taylor babble on for 10 weeks about challenging the OL to win one on one battles, etc. Hopefully, he has learned to adapt much quicker. he will need that skill working for the Inbreds. 

Boling retiring in mid July was a shock to all. Williams went out in mid June, 3 months AFTER free agency started.  Glenn went out in mid August.  Price should have been better. 

There is no fucking way the club could predict or prepare for 3 of their starting o lineman to go down  LONG after the draft and free agency.  The only thing left available were marginal backups at best. 

Price played every snap the last 8 games of 2018.  One would think he would be better this year after playing 8 games. They did draft Michael Jordan as his backup so they DID prepare for his suckage and Boling. 

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Boling retiring in mid July was a shock to all. Williams went out in mid June, 3 months AFTER free agency started.  Glenn went out in mid August.  Price should have been better. 

There is no fucking way the club could predict or prepare for 3 of their starting o lineman to go down  LONG after the draft and free agency.  The only thing left available were marginal backups at best. 

Price played every snap the last 8 games of 2018.  One would think he would be better this year after playing 8 games. They did draft Michael Jordan as his backup so they DID prepare for his suckage and Boling. 

Exactly, projecting the team knew of such things is insane. I’d ask for some shred of supporting evidence. 

I think with this development went the season. From there, it was dominoes. Offense couldn’t stay on the field, defensive snap count went through the roof, they then had their own struggles.

Boling was struggling late last season (2018)  and there was some talk he may be cut before the 2019 season. I believe they knew full well he was at best not the player he once once and at worst he was gone. Glenn has had years of injury history now, not dependable. 

This team simply does not put a high priority on the OL and it has been a 3 year clusterfuck. Now they will have another #1 QB and we want to have Jordan and Hart starting? Good luck. 

I’m telling ya right now Jordan will turn into a stud if he stays healthy. The only thing that hurt him was inexperience and getting thrown to the wolves early on. Once he got reinserted as a starter around game 10 or so, he started playing up to his capabilities, which also just happened to coincide with Mixon’s hellacious run of games. IMO, that’s one spot they no longer need to worry about. 

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I’m telling ya right now Jordan will turn into a stud if he stays healthy. The only thing that hurt him was inexperience and getting thrown to the wolves early on. Once he got reinserted as a starter around game 10 or so, he started playing up to his capabilities, which also just happened to coincide with Mixon’s hellacious run of games. IMO, that’s one spot they no longer need to worry about. 

Fair enough, remind me who is on the right side of the OL?

On 1/5/2020 at 2:47 PM, BengalFanInTO said:

Here's what I'd do...

2019 Roster Decisions

Cut Dre Kirkpatrick-Eat the $2.8 Million in Dead Cap Space and avoid paying him $22 Million over the next two seasons.

Let AJ Green walk

Extend Joe Mixon

Try to trade Andy Dalton. Cut him if you can't (which is likely) 

Resign Darqueze Dennard to a long term deal. He's the most important Bengals free agent this offseason.

Also resign Eifert and Billings.

Retain Cordy Glenn

Free Agency

In unlikely Bengals fashion, pay the price for a tackle or guard (Scherff, Thuney, Conklin or Castonzo) and a LB (Littleton or Van Noy). My preferences would be Thuney and Littleton.

Draft

Draft Burrow in the first and the best WR on the board in the second. Take a kicker in the late rounds. BPA in all other rounds. 

I agree with all of this.

Cutting Dre leaves us very thin with experience at corner.

If we do cut him, we almost certainly have to pick up a corner via free agency.

Again: cutting this guy/guys does what exactly, if you are going to have to replace in FA? Unless someone is called BW Webb...paying for an FA corner of competency is going to be as much, if noT more, than what you have on the roster. 

And, back to my original point: “save money” and do what with it exactly...when track record has never indicated targeting top FA’s? 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Boling was struggling late last season (2018)  and there was some talk he may be cut before the 2019 season. I believe they knew full well he was at best not the player he once once and at worst he was gone. Glenn has had years of injury history now, not dependable. 

This team simply does not put a high priority on the OL and it has been a 3 year clusterfuck. Now they will have another #1 QB and we want to have Jordan and Hart starting? Good luck. 

Well, they drafted Glenn’s replacement, remember?  Jonah Williams.  Glenn was either moving to guard or backup. 

Already had a replacement for Boling in Hopkins and they drafted Jordan as well. 

Hart was penciled in as the weakest player but at least he played 16 games.  Not sure what the hell happened with Price. 

Hard to claim the team doesn’t value the O line when it has used its first round pick in the last 2 drafts on oline AND spent actual FA money on Glenn. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Well, they drafted Glenn’s replacement, remember?  Jonah Williams.  Glenn was either moving to guard or backup. 

Already had a replacement for Boling in Hopkins and they drafted Jordan as well. 

Hart was penciled in as the weakest player but at least he played 16 games.  Not sure what the hell happened with Price. 

Hard to claim the team doesn’t value the O line when it has used its first round pick in the last 2 drafts on oline AND spent actual FA money on Glenn. 

They traded for Glenn, not a free agent pickup. And they only did that after screwing up the Whit situation.  I disagree that Hopkins was a replacement for Boling he never showed he was as good ass Boling in his prime. Relying on Price was a joke, he was dreadful, as was Hart. This team has had 3 years to work on the OL and yes they drafted a few guys but that covers normal attrition and not the extreme lack of talent and depth we had. One would think the Inbreds would have figured out that every moderately successful team we had was anchored by a good OL. 

I am not even convinced that Hopkins is more than an average Center. He stands out as a good OL compared to the rest of the trash he played with this year. To me we still need 3 or 4 guys in that group. Too many slugs in there now, a few vastly overpaid. 

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

They traded for Glenn, not a free agent pickup. And they only did that after screwing up the Whit situation.  I disagree that Hopkins was a replacement for Boling he never showed he was as good ass Boling in his prime. Relying on Price was a joke, he was dreadful, as was Hart. This team has had 3 years to work on the OL and yes they drafted a few guys but that covers normal attrition and not the extreme lack of talent and depth we had. One would think the Inbreds would have figured out that every moderately successful team we had was anchored by a good OL. 

I am not even convinced that Hopkins is more than an average Center. He stands out as a good OL compared to the rest of the trash he played with this year. To me we still need 3 or 4 guys in that group. Too many slugs in there now, a few vastly overpaid. 

I should have said Hopkins was the backup to Boling and they did draft Jordan to add depth.  My point is the organization has tried to address the o line  particularly through the draft the last 5 years.  The problem is they really suck at talent evaluation and worst ACTUAL SCOUTING.  Anyone can watch film and tell if a guy is a decent player during  a particular game.  Ryan Leaf looked like a great player coming out of college.  What a REAL scout does is find out what makes the guy tick and if he has the character and drive to be an outstanding NFL player.  

Its why a guy like Drew Brees, the last pick in the 2nd round of the draft is heading to the HOF and why overall #1 pick Jeff George at 6'4" and possessing a cannon for an arm and Ryan Leaf at #2 never lived up to expectations.  Scouts are the guys that find out the true character and potential of the player.  Just wish we had some. 

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I should have said Hopkins was the backup to Boling and they did draft Jordan to add depth.  My point is the organization has tried to address the o line  particularly through the draft the last 5 years.  The problem is they really suck at talent evaluation and worst ACTUAL SCOUTING.  Anyone can watch film and tell if a guy is a decent player during  a particular game.  Ryan Leaf looked like a great player coming out of college.  What a REAL scout does is find out what makes the guy tick and if he has the character and drive to be an outstanding NFL player.  

Its why a guy like Drew Brees, the last pick in the 2nd round of the draft is heading to the HOF and why overall #1 pick Jeff George at 6'4" and possessing a cannon for an arm and Ryan Leaf at #2 never lived up to expectations.  Scouts are the guys that find out the true character and potential of the player.  Just wish we had some. 

Agree 100%. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:He stands out as a good OL compared to the rest of the trash he played with this year

That shouldn’t go as a knock on Hopkins, it should go down as a testament to how good he was. The fact that he stood out despite the garbage on either side of him for the majority of the season is a big positive, IMO. He played his ass off and graded out well even though he was playing next to two revolving doors. What the hell else can you possibly expect from the guy? Put two competent G’s next to him and he’ll likely be all pro

For Le Tigre. "What The Bengals Will Actually Do" thread. It's an easy one:

2019 Roster Decisions

Retain Dre Kirkpatrick and make him a Team Captain

Sign AJ Green to a mega four year deal

Offer Joe Mixon an insulting contract extension and point to the first half of the season to assess his value

Hold on to Andy Dalton  

Get outbid for Darqueze Dennard 

Resign Tyler Eifert, Nick Vigil, Brandon Wilson, Clayton Fejedelem, LaRoy Reynolds, Josh Tupou, Tony McRae, Cethan Carter and Andrew Billings

Have Hobson churn out articles about the above being essential "in-the-building" building blocks and that their resignings put the Bengals in cap jeopardy 

Free Agency

In typical Bengals fashion, overpay for an over-the-hill somewhat name tackle or guard (Mike Iupati) and a LB (Wesley Woodyard).  Sprinkle in a few never heard of additions and have Hobson write puff pieces extolling their character in telling a story how they once helped an elderly lady cross the street or rescued a kitten from a tree.

Draft

Draft Burrow in the first and the best, oft-injured combine project on the board in the second. Extreme reaches in all other rounds. 

15 minutes ago, spicoli said:

That shouldn’t go as a knock on Hopkins, it should go down as a testament to how good he was. The fact that he stood out despite the garbage on either side of him for the majority of the season is a big positive, IMO. He played his ass off and graded out well even though he was playing next to two revolving doors. What the hell else can you possibly expect from the guy? Put two competent G’s next to him and he’ll likely be all pro

The reality is every UDFA and late round pick would love to be picked by the Bengals.  Most of them never get up to speed fast enough to make the roster on other teams but here in Bengalville, there is almost always a spot for someone who will bust their ass since the Bengals lack so much talent particularly among their backups.   

I like Michael Jordan but on any decent team he would have rarely seen the field the first 8 games and then maybe the team starts to rotate him in to rest starters on some series.   Hopkins probably wouldn't be here if Fisher, Ogbuehi, Westerman, TJ Johson and Bodine weren't so bad.   Add in Redmonds use of PEDs.  Hopkins shows up game day and plays decent.  That makes him a Bengals All-Pro.  

30 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

For Le Tigre. "What The Bengals Will Actually Do" thread. It's an easy one:

2019 Roster Decisions

Retain Dre Kirkpatrick and make him a Team Captain

Sign AJ Green to a mega four year deal

Offer Joe Mixon an insulting contract extension and point to the first half of the season to assess his value

Hold on to Andy Dalton  

Get outbid for Darqueze Dennard 

Resign Tyler Eifert, Nick Vigil, Brandon Wilson, Clayton Fejedelem, LaRoy Reynolds, Josh Tupou, Tony McRae, Cethan Carter and Andrew Billings

Have Hobson churn out articles about the above being essential "in-the-building" building blocks and that their resignings put the Bengals in cap jeopardy 

Free Agency

In typical Bengals fashion, overpay for an over-the-hill somewhat name tackle or guard (Mike Iupati) and a LB (Wesley Woodyard).  Sprinkle in a few never heard of additions and have Hobson write puff pieces extolling their character in telling a story how they once helped an elderly lady cross the street or rescued a kitten from a tree.

Draft

Draft Burrow in the first and the best, oft-injured combine project on the board in the second. Extreme reaches in all other rounds. 

Your post would be damn funny if it were not so close to reality. I am waiting for the $5M/yr contract for Vigil to be announced any day.

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Hopkins shows up game day and plays decent.  That makes him a Bengals All-Pro

He played better than “decent”. He graded out in top half of the league despite having revolving doors on each side of him. Give them a little credit at least for developing the guy. Just because they’re the Bengals doesn’t mean there can’t be a positive every now and again. 

As far as playing Jordan, that’ll go down as a great move when it’s all said and done. That kid’s going to be a player. 

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

He played better than “decent”. He graded out in top half of the league despite having revolving doors on each side of him. Give them a little credit at least for developing the guy. Just because they’re the Bengals doesn’t mean there can’t at least be a positive every now and again. 

As far as playing Jordan, that will go down as a great move when it’s all said and done. That kid is going to be a player. 

There is nothing wrong with decent.  If our entire line had DECENT players Mixon would have led the league in rushing again.   I would give them credit for developing the guy if they could have developed either Fisher, Price , Westerman or Ogbuehi to be even a decent backup.  I think Hopkins deserves most of the credit. 

36 minutes ago, spicoli said:

He played better than “decent”. He graded out in top half of the league despite having revolving doors on each side of him. Give them a little credit at least for developing the guy. Just because they’re the Bengals doesn’t mean there can’t be a positive every now and again

As far as playing Jordan, that’ll go down as a great move when it’s all said and done. That kid’s going to be a player. 

It is so infrequent it is easy to miss. 

Drfat and develop where you need the coaches to scout, then have the smallest scouting staff in the league, crappy coaches to both scout and develop and lo and behold you have the Inbred Circle Jerk. 

Archived