Rest In Peace Sam

Damn .

His hatred for Jerry Glanville and the Oilers was legendary.

Up 45-0 and calls for an onsides kick.

A quote from Sam after the game.

"Coach Sam Wyche said: “We don’t like this team. We don’t like their people. When you get a chance to do it (run up the score), you do it. I wish today this was a five-quarter game.”

How many coaches would do this today?

RIP Mr. Wyche

Thanks for the great times

You will be sorely missed 

There was a function in Columbus for many years at the Athletic Club called the Touchdown Club. I went to the event for many years. Guests were seated with one or more honorees at dinner tables. One year, I was seated at a table with notably Lou Holtz. However, seated next to me was the incoming Indiana University head coach, one Sam Wyche. Of course, I knew his name then because he had been a Bengals QB, but soon was more interested in what he was saying about IU. For basically an hour, he and I went back and forth about the Hoosier outlook, hopes to compete in the Big 10, that sort of thing. One of the most interesting persons I have had the pleasure of meeting, and a moment I will not forget.

Years later, I was at a training camp session in Wilmington. They used to have QB drills on a field separate from the main stadium. There was an area behind a fence where you could be around 15 yards or so from where the drills were being conducted. Norman and Eric Wilhelm were goofing off, and Sam yelled at them to shut up and get serious. Wilhelm giggled said something like "Serious...like those old Y.A. Tittle guys?". Sam ran up, got in his face, and said "You don't know shit about Y.A. Tittle". He then drops to his knees, and imitates that classic old photo of a bloodied Tittle after a big hit. The entire field erupted in laughter. Norman was bent over, as were we all behind the fence. Sam glanced over, gave a wink, and went back to being a hard ass. 

Absolutely one of a kind. Have not seen anyone like him before or since. Great coach, and wonderful person. A terrible loss. May God rest his soul. 

Archived