With the First Pick ... In the Second Round...

Whether people want to admit it or not, but they have to start thinking about drafting Green's replacement.

If they can find a WR with speed (and decent hands), who somehow slipped out of the first (D.K. Metcalf anyone), we should jump on him immediately.

Hopefully they won't over reach for a LB, as they have done in past (Malik Jefferson, Dontay Moch and countless others).

The line is not as bad as it seems with Williams coming back and the younger guys coming on strong at the end of the year.

It actually would be nice to see them drop back a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd rounder

21 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Whether people want to admit it or not, but they have to start thinking about drafting Green's replacement.

If they can find a WR with speed, who somehow slipped out of the first (D.K. Metcalf anyone), we should jump on him immediately.

Hopefully they won't over reach for a LB, as they have done in past (Malik Jefferson, Dontay Moch and countless others).

The line is not as bad as it seems with Williams coming back and the younger guys coming on strong at the end of the year.

It actually would be nice to see them drop back a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd rounder

I would not make that assumption. Most of our starters are barely respectable reserves and we will have to now protect a #1 QB prospect. The OL needs starters and depth quickly. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I would not make that assumption. Most of our starters are barely respectable reserves and we will have to now protect a #1 QB prospect. The OL needs starters and depth quickly. 

It's not as bad as everyone tries to make it out to be. They continually got better as the year progressed and that includes Bobby Hart.

I'd say 4/5's of the line is set with Williams, Jordan, Hopkins and Hart. They'll need to find a RG and a couple of solid depth pieces but I definitely don't see some major overhaul on the horizon. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

It's not as bad as everyone tries to make it out to be. They continually got better as the year progressed and that includes Bobby Hart.

I'd say 4/5's of the line is set with Williams, Jordan, Hopkins and Hart. They'll need to find a RG and a couple of solid depth pieces but I definitely don't see some major overhaul on the horizon. 

By next spring Hart will suck again, going to war with what we have is no answer. We are not even set with Wiliams - has never played a down

Evidently Tua has decided to come out, could always trade down and take him in the 2nd. (I am assuming he will still be injured and will fall). Get a boatload of picks and he can learn behind Andy for a year ala Carson and Kitna.

1 hour ago, gupps said:

Evidently Tua has decided to come out, could always trade down and take him in the 2nd. (I am assuming he will still be injured and will fall). Get a boatload of picks and he can learn behind Andy for a year ala Carson and Kitna.

Tua is still a top 10 pick.. that is why he is coming out 

11 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Unless Tua's medical is so bad that his ability to ever play football again is in doubt then there's no way he's there in the 2nd round. Absolutely zero.

There was zero doubt he was entering the draft and zero doubt he will go to Miami at pick 5.  

Tua, WHEN HEALTHY, is the best QB in the draft.  He is ridiculously accurate and throws an incredible long ball.  He hits his receivers in  full stride which has always been my issue with Dalton and can pass receivers open.  Guy has been great since the day he stepped on the field as a true freshman.  That said, if he heals up and is good to play he needs to learn to protect himself unlike guys like Wentz, Bradford, and Mariota.  No head first diving, no trying to get that extra yard week 7 against the Cardinals or Lions, you just can't risk it as the franchise QB. 

13 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

By next spring Hart will suck again, going to war with what we have is no answer. We are not even set with Wiliams - has never played a down

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you but, IMO, they feel like they’re set at 4 of the 5 spots plus Johnson as the swing guy..which likely means status quo for the most part. 

As far as Hart, the dude is still young as hell and has now shown that he can get better. I know I feel much better about him now than I did this time last year. Either way though, he’s here for the long haul, so...

19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

He’ll go to Detroit at 3 you mean..

A. Stafford is only 31.

B. Stafford counts for $26 mil in cap space in 2020 $24.8 of it dead cap.

C. Unless Stafford had told the club he plans to leave sometime soon, it would be tough to justify 

D. Pick 3 would be about $33 mil guaranteed. Talking tying up $40 mil plus at QB in one year cap wise. 

E. The perfect example of why teams love having QBs on rookie deals.  Detroit simply can't afford to do anything with Stafford unless someone else wants him.

30 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you but, IMO, they feel like they’re set at 4 of the 5 spots plus Johnson as the swing guy..which likely means status quo for the most part. 

As far as Hart, the dude is still young as hell and has now shown that he can get better. I know I feel much better about him now than I did this time last year. Either way though, he’s here for the long haul, so...

The dreaded status quo...it kills this team every off season. If we go with the theory that the line improved over the year then great - bring in even better players and the current starters can battle them and create depth. 

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The dreaded status quo...it kills this team every off season. If we go with the theory that the line improved over the year then great - bring in even better players and the current starters can battle them and create depth. 

Maybe they’ll surprise us..

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Exactly.

And, not just depth, competition. If a guy is playing for a perennial mediocre team, does a mediocre job himself, and nobody is brought in to compete, where’s his motivation? We’d like to believe silly things like a paycheck and pride, but, we all know better than that.

Tua, WHEN HEALTHY, is the best QB in the draft.  He is ridiculously accurate and throws an incredible long ball.  He hits his receivers in  full stride which has always been my issue with Dalton and can pass receivers open.  Guy has been great since the day he stepped on the field as a true freshman.  That said, if he heals up and is good to play he needs to learn to protect himself unlike guys like Wentz, Bradford, and Mariota.  No head first diving, no trying to get that extra yard week 7 against the Cardinals or Lions, you just can't risk it as the franchise QB. 

Now you just don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. His team is loaded with 5* players and that won’t happen in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

Now you just don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. His team is loaded with 5* players and that won’t happen in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Were the 5 star players passing the football to themselves?  There is a thing called the eye test.  Jake Fromm does not pass the eye test, he misses open 5 star receivers all the time and doesn't hit the same receivers in stride.     BTW, Tua WILL be passing to 5 star players in the NFL as well, the big difference will be the defenders he faces will be better. 

Archived