With the First Pick ... In the Second Round...

4 hours ago, membengal said:

Just did a 7-round mock on TDN's engine using their predictive picks setting with me pulling the trigger for the Bengals and I ended up choosing the following:

Round 1 - Burrow
Round 2 - Mekhi Becton, OT - L'ville
Round 3 - Josh Uche, Edge - Michigan
Round 4 - Ben Bartch, OT - that Div III school
Round 5 - Michael Pittman Jr., WR - USC
Round 6 - Adam Trautman, TE - Dayton
Round 7- Stanford Samuels III, CB, Florida State

If the draft broke out like that in April I would be beyond ecstatic, I think...

I see Michael Pittman, Jr. listed on here. Many years ago, his dad used to work for out in-house lender and his office was right down the hall from mine. Very cool dude. 

2 hours ago, membengal said:

When I ran that mock - no - the board didn't fall right for that and I didn't want to reach for need given who was available at each round (also, Uche maybe can do some coverage apparently - so maybe he is kinda a hybrid type LB). The next mock I ran I ended up with Queen at the top of round 2 and the Wisconsin LB in round 3. 

Once you get to round 3 I really don't consider any pick a reach if unless its pretty egregious.  There were a quite few 5th round LBs that played pretty well.   Certainly moving down a few spots on a completely subjective draft chart to pick a real need position should not be an issue.  The 65th pick "Best Player Available" on every team's draft board is probably different.  

I think you have to draft for need in the 2nd round on if possible.  There are any number of players the team could have picked that made WAY more sense than a barely used Drew Sample. 

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The 65th pick "Best Player Available" on every team's draft board is probably different.  

I would love to see how our draft board compares to others over the last 5 years. I'd like to know where the likes of Ross or Sample graded for other teams.

30 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I would love to see how our draft board compares to others over the last 5 years. I'd like to know where the likes of Ross or Sample graded for other teams.

Everything I read had him picked mid day 3.   The best I saw was 5th round taken by the Giants I think.  Most were 5th or 6th.   The reason I remember is when they drafted him, I was at a bar and everyone was like "Who the fuck is that?"   Buds were looking at the mocks on their phones and iPads tying to find him an any board. 

It was an absolutely horrible pick and keep in mind the team traded away the 43rd pick to get him at 52 which was still about 100 picks early. 

30 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

We all know how our crack scouting staff love to draft guys like Sample knowing full well they are far more insight into his potential than other teams. Mikey is always pulling the wool over the eyes of other GM's. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Once you get to round 3 I really don't consider any pick a reach if unless its pretty egregious.  There were a quite few 5th round LBs that played pretty well.   Certainly moving down a few spots on a completely subjective draft chart to pick a real need position should not be an issue.  The 65th pick "Best Player Available" on every team's draft board is probably different.  

I think you have to draft for need in the 2nd round on if possible.  There are any number of players the team could have picked that made WAY more sense than a barely used Drew Sample. 

Apart from starting QB, we should try to have all of our needs covered by the end of free agency. Then we can draft the best players. That's how you get to a roster with more talent than your opponents. 

30 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Apart from starting QB, we should try to have all of our needs covered by the end of free agency. Then we can draft the best players. That's how you get to a roster with more talent than your opponents. 

There is no way we are spending that kind of money in FA.  We need too many just DECENT players on defense starting at linebacker.

BPA is only relevant in the 1st round. The 49er didn't desperately need a defensive end but Bosa is simply a special player.   Most teams have a need for players at multiple positions and can take the best player available at one of those positions in the later rounds.  Or you can simply take a guy projected around pick 150 in the second round. 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

Everything I read

had him picked mid day 3.   The best I saw was 5th round taken by the Giants I think.  Most were 5th or 6th.   The reason I remember is when they drafted him, I was at a bar and everyone was like "Who the fuck is that?"   Buds were looking at the mocks on their phones and iPads tying to find him an any board. 

It was an absolutely horrible pick and keep in mind the team traded away the 43rd pick to get him at 52 which was still about 100 picks early. 

Yeah I know he wasn't in many mock drafts but that's not an actual team's draft board.  It's possible he was rated highly by other teams & under the radar.   At least, that's what the team would have us believe.  Of course I'm more inclined to believe they have no idea what they're doing on draft day and would be better off following one of those mock drafts instead of waiting for Duke Tobin to stop spinning around in the big chair and giggling at his own farts to make a pick.

It would still be interesting to compare a few different boards & see just how far off into outer space our "scouts" have it.  

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That actually made me chuckle (no offense). :lol:

As far as BPA, I always felt that was for the late rounds and teams that had no glaring holes that need  to be filled. YMMV however.

6 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I think sometimes Mike and family have the "hit a home run" syndrome or the "I am smarter than everyone else so I will reach for this player" thinking.  That's how they end up with the Aliki Smith's, Oogie's and John Ross' of the draft.  They need to keep it simple.

The franchise culture does kind of remind me of that kid in school that talked about their IQ a lot.

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

There is no way we are spending that kind of money in FA.  We need too many just DECENT players on defense starting at linebacker.

BPA is only relevant in the 1st round. The 49er didn't desperately need a defensive end but Bosa is simply a special player.   Most teams have a need for players at multiple positions and can take the best player available at one of those positions in the later rounds.  Or you can simply take a guy projected around pick 150 in the second round. 

If they move on from Dalton, tag Green, re-sign Dennard, Billings, and Eifert, they will have about 40 mil left for additions. They can create more cap space by cutting Dre, Glenn, Hart, Webb, etc.  Even with just the 40 mil, they can add a couple of LBs and either the highest paid O-linemen in the league or a couple of veteran O-linemen who are better than what we currently have. 

Then they can go into the draft without being tied to any particular positional need after Burrow. 

50 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If they move on from Dalton, tag Green, re-sign Dennard, Billings, and Eifert, they will have about 40 mil left for additions. They can create more cap space by cutting Dre, Glenn, Hart, Webb, etc.  Even with just the 40 mil, they can add a couple of LBs and either the highest paid O-linemen in the league or a couple of veteran O-linemen who are better than what we currently have. 

Then they can go into the draft without being tied to any particular positional need after Burrow. 

I agree it can be done, I just don’t think they will. I have never seen this team do more than sign one upper tier FA in one year.  The only time I remember being surprised was when they got Thomas Howard, Nate Clements and Manny Lawson in 2011.   3 ok players to fill huge holes. That was big for the defense that year. 

Archived