Coaching Changes

20 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Wow, another position coach straight to HC. Is this becoming a thing? Is there too much traditional thinking and planning among the prescribed upper echelon of NFL coaches?

EDIT: I see him being an ST coord...still, Teams coordinating makes someone qualified for head boss?

Strangely enough every team still in the playoffs is coached by a guy who was either a head coach at either the pro or upper echelon college ranks or was an NFL offensive or defensive coordinator before becoming the head coach of their current team.  Makes one go hmm. 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:05 PM, Jamie_B said:

I would very seriously consider replacing Lou Anarumo with Wade Phillips

Even if he would stay for just 2 years it would be helpful.  Groom the next guy at the same time. I am sure Wade has a few connections for younger good position coaches as well.

When you get a chance to keep a last place team (the worst in franchise history in fact) intact, you make sure you don't pass it up. 

The fans probably regard 2019 as an unsuccessful year for the Bengals but the Brown family may take another view. We are well below the cap and apart from what's required to hit the contractual spending minima, the extra can be skimmed from the union and used for vacations to Switzerland.

Now I'm thoroughly sick since it seems the coordinators are staying

but back to Tim Bucktu, the former linebacker coach.

Two options, one I mentioned before, and with Bengal and/or Zac connections.

One is even here working with the team not.  I didn't know that.

Other People Zac Taylor Knows

Mark Duffner is an obvious option. He is on the Bengals staff, currently serving as senior defensive assistant, and worked with Taylor previously in Miami. He also coached linebackers for the Packers, Buccaneers, and Jaguars and started his career as a graduate assistant at Ohio State before becoming the defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bearcats.

Speaking of Miami, former Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke could make sense as well. He coached the Bengals linebackers from 2014-2015 before connecting with Taylor and the Dolphins. Prior to joining the Bengals staff he coached the Detroit Lions’ linebackers for five years and is currently defensive special assistant with the Eagles.

Also, I don't know if it's been said yet but, Simmons got a new promotion along with his new extension....assistant HC.

Well deserved IMO. When you think about the crazy amount of turnover his unit had to deal with, finishing top of the league is one hell of an achievement. 

19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Also, I don't know if it's been said yet but, Simmons got a new promotion along with his new extension....assistant HC.

Well deserved IMO. When you think about the crazy amount of turnover his unit had to deal with, finishing top of the league is one hell of an achievement. 

It is but on the other hand ST coaches are used to working with the scrubs on the roster and he has his pick of the litter as most of our team is scrubs.

9 hours ago, spicoli said:

Ketchup Whisperer was the assistant HC under Marvin, I just assuned it was another way for ol' Musty to earn Good Boy Points by making someone feel special without giving them any actual responsibilities.  

Archived