Coaching Changes

12 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Was referring to scouts or others in the personnel department 

Do those guys ever step down or leave?  The job security is second to none and the benchmark to stay employed is bringing back a couple of large towels and pens from the hotel you stayed at the night before. 

21 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Was referring to scouts or others in the personnel department 

You mean "scout", singular? Our scouts are Duke Tobin, some other guy, and the same coaches that just went 2-14 and thought Drew Sample was a steal in the 2nd round. 

I'd have more faith in a monkey pulling names from a hat.

Joe Brady has signed a 3-year contract to remain at LSU, according to Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated.

The contract details are “in flux” but Dellenger said the deal would more than double his current $410,000 salary. (Dellenger wrote on Twitter the contract would be worth around $3 million.)

That Brady would sign a contract with a healthy raise to remain at LSU is the opposite of surprising. His one year to date in Baton Rouge has been nothing short of transformational, winning him the Broyles Award, quarterback Joe Burrow the Heisman Trophy, wideout J’Marr Chase the Biletnikoff, and helping LSU reach Monday night’s national title game. The question is would Brady remain in Baton Rouge amid NFL interest remains an open question, and this contract would keep that question alive. From SI:

The deal protects LSU from losing Brady to college assistant jobs, but provides him flexibility for a jump to a college head coaching position or the NFL, where many believe his future lies.

LSU has never feared losing Brady to another college offensive coordinator job, but the program remains apprehensive he would fend away NFL interest. Matt Rhule is reportedly targeting Brady to join him in Carolina. There will surely be others.

So, to recap: there was never a question that Brady would leave for LSU for another college coordinator job, and never a question LSU would reward that loyalty and 2019’s astronomical performance with a new, pricy contract. But if Brady would turn down NFL opportunities to remain at LSU has always been an open question, and the new contract does nothing to answer that query.

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41090275-4

Bengals secondary/cornerbacks coach Daronte Jones is no longer on staff. Jones was hired in 2018 to work for former head coach Marvin Lewis. Jones' contract expired at the end of the 2019 season, the first under new coach Zac Taylor. Bengals linebackers coach Tem Lukabu was recently named Boston College's defensive coordinator, while assistant Brayden Coombs was hired as the Detroit Lions' special teams coordinator.

Take that, "no coaching changes"! The good ones get poached by competent football programs! And one guy's contract expired. That's kind of like firing him but nobody loses any Good Boy Points. It's win-win (except the team's record of course but who cares about that.) No more status quo for us! 

20 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I would jump all over Joe Brady to be the OCoord, make the transition for Burrow seemless

Besides the 3 year extension he just signed, nobody is leaving a professionally run football franchise like LSU :ninja: to come here.   

Unless the NFL draft leaves them no other option, of course.  I like how that honeymoon phase didn't even make it to the draft.  "Hey Joe you mind participating in this meaningless game for us?  We know you're not under contract but it'd really show us what a team player you are, y'know?"  Go ahead and risk losing $50 million to a sprained ankle because we have no scouts and can't both walk and chew bubblegum. No need to worry since our crack coaches and trainers are sure to have you fresh & ready to go for the season.  At worst you'll only miss 4-6 weeks!

32 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I like how that honeymoon phase didn't even make it to the draft.  "Hey Joe you mind participating in this meaningless game for us?  We know you're not under contract but it'd really show us what a team player you are, y'know?"  Go ahead and risk losing $50 million to a sprained ankle because we have no scouts and can't both walk and chew bubblegum. No need to worry since our crack coaches and trainers are sure to have you fresh & ready to go for the season.  At worst you'll only miss 4-6 weeks!

There's nothing at all wrong with Joe going to the Sr bowl and meeting the staff and getting a few practices in. No one is saying he has to play in the game. Just show up, meet the team and throw the ball around a little. Other top picks have gone to the event, Joe can too. It's not a big deal at all. 

57 minutes ago, spicoli said:

There's nothing at all wrong with Joe going to the Sr bowl and meeting the staff and getting a few practices in. No one is saying he has to play in the game. Just show up, meet the team and throw the ball around a little. Other top picks have gone to the event, Joe can too. It's not a big deal at all. 

Nothing wrong for us, maybe.  He's the easy consensus first overall pick right now.   What does this gain him other than an opportunity to risk all that in meaningless practice scrums for coaches whose time could be better spent scouting for someone to protect his blindside?  

It's tone-deaf, pointless, and deviously makes Burrow look like the bad guy if he refuses despite that being overwhelmingly in his best interest.  Floating this "request" through the media is a transparent power move, we want everyone to see him smiling and eating that shit sandwich for the assembled press like he can't wait to throw his career away here.  It's toxic bully behavior.  

In other words, all things that are fast becoming the hallmarks of this current staff.  He doesn't owe us shit before the evening of April 23rd but we're acting like he's already an employee.  I'm getting the impression that Taylor has quickly grown accustomed to demanding a level of respect that he hasn't come close to earning yet.  His "system" so far is bluster and bullshit from what I can tell.  I think as time goes on we'll see him continue to point the finger at everyone but himself while making a lot of noise about "accountability" and so on.  Call it a hunch.

I leave room for marked improvement next year to change my mind but I've not seen much to like so far.

Archived