The Official Super Joe Burrow Dress Rehearsal Game Thread

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Come on now, my comment was made in jest.  It wasn't my point that Burrow and Brady should stay together. 

The sports dude (Clay Travis) was the one bashing the Bengals for not pursuing him.  He made a good point but my opinion was simply that it probably never crossed our front office's minds to pay a guy who ran a pro style offense in the toughest conference in the country and simply laid wood to all of them.   They fill vacancies, they rarely try and upgrade a position already filled. 

Exactly. Mike Brown probably thinks "why should I pay someone to not do the job just because I can replace him with someone better"? 

45 minutes ago, Cat said:

Joe Burrow.

:ninja:

Ha ha good one. 

FYI - Just now on Sirius NFL Radio talking to the new Browns HC. talking about what QB traits are the most important and he said , in order:

1. Accuracy - you can improve it a bit with footwork, etc but it is a natural trait

2. Movement Skills 

3. Being able to make plays when the pocket breaks down

4. The "It" intangible 

Listening to that and thing of Burrow I was going check, check, check, check. 

So there have been a number of national news outlets/opinion shows that have thrown out the talk fodder of “Should Joe Burrow pull an Eli Manning (2004 draft on San Diego) and refuse to play for the Bengals”. 

#1: I hate them for putting that out in the universe lolz. We’re only allowed to crap on the organization.

#2: Thinking that out, I can honestly say that would be the last straw and make me quit the NFL forever. Because hope is all we have sometime on this team and that would destroy all illusion of a level playing field in the league. I’ve always wondered what’d finally take to make me quit this team. Yep, that’d do it. 🤕

I'm glad we didn't buy into the Joe Brady hype. Dude has 1 year of real work behind him, not even at a coordinator level. Who knows what his time as Assistant Pissant in the Saints organization actually means.

We bought on the hype last year (Sean McVay hype anyway, ZT was never highly touted by anyone) and a year later it's all gone quiet, his team is a spent force which has completely mortgaged its foreseeable future, and here we are.

This organization can only take so many boy geniuses.

3 hours ago, BurnsBengal said:

So there have been a number of national news outlets/opinion shows that have thrown out the talk fodder of “Should Joe Burrow pull an Eli Manning (2004 draft on San Diego) and refuse to play for the Bengals”. 

#1: I hate them for putting that out in the universe lolz. We’re only allowed to crap on the organization.

#2: Thinking that out, I can honestly say that would be the last straw and make me quit the NFL forever. Because hope is all we have sometime on this team and that would destroy all illusion of a level playing field in the league. I’ve always wondered what’d finally take to make me quit this team. Yep, that’d do it. 🤕

If I were Burrow, I wouldn't put up with Bengals business as usual. He has considerable leverage to demand organizational improvements such as participating in free agency, spending to the cap, etc. Bengals need Burrow a lot more than Burrow needs the Bengals. He could quietly tell the team before the draft after free agency he won't sign with them if they pick him. Mike Brown is the sort of idiot to think its a bluff and take him anyway but Burrow will have mucho endorsement money to spend while sitting out a year. 

Well, besides making the top dollar a first overall pick will get...wouldn't he also make the mucho endorsement dollar anyway? 

Or..be labeled a selfish quitter a year from now...and not get any where near the endorsement dollar.

"Hi, I'm Joe Burrow. And when I'm not refusing to play in the NFL, I use XYZ every day (well, until I decide to drop it and use something else"). 

44 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If I were Burrow, I wouldn't put up with Bengals business as usual. He has considerable leverage to demand organizational improvements such as participating in free agency, spending to the cap, etc. Bengals need Burrow a lot more than Burrow needs the Bengals. He could quietly tell the team before the draft after free agency he won't sign with them if they pick him. Mike Brown is the sort of idiot to think its a bluff and take him anyway but Burrow will have mucho endorsement money to spend while sitting out a year. 

I hope he doesn't, but I wouldn't blame Burrow if he did.  Mike Brown is the worst owner in sports and has proven it for 29 years. 

ZERO chance Burrow sits out a year if we draft him to force himself into next years draft. He's already a 5th year Senior and not getting younger, but also next year he would have to compete with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. He would be risking losing money to drop from the #1 overall pick to 3rd or lower depending on number of teams who need a QB. Not happening. 

And I very seriously doubt he pulls a Manning/Elway. The only two people I have heard suggest he should are Jason Whitlock and Stephen A. Smith and both of those guys are blowhards. 

Joe Burrow will be a Cincinnati Bengal.

46 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

ZERO chance Burrow sits out a year if we draft him to force himself into next years draft. He's already a 5th year Senior and not getting younger, but also next year he would have to compete with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. He would be risking losing money to drop from the #1 overall pick to 3rd or lower depending on number of teams who need a QB. Not happening. 

And I very seriously doubt he pulls a Manning/Elway. The only two people I have heard suggest he should are Jason Whitlock and Stephen A. Smith and both of those guys are blowhards. 

Joe Burrow will be a Cincinnati Bengal.

right.. they are both fucking loud mouth idiots.

No way Burrow does that..

You can’t actually pull an Eli Manning anymore. Players must play for the team that drafts them. Bengals could not draft and trade Burrow like San Diego did with Eli.  The Bengals can trade the pick away pre draft. 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

You can’t actually pull an Eli Manning anymore. Players must play for the team that drafts them. Bengals could not draft and trade Burrow like San Diego did with Eli.  The Bengals can trade the pick away pre draft. 

What? Since when are you not allowed to trade your own players?

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

What? Since when are you not allowed to trade your own players?

You can trade them after their first year or release them.  The Eli situation was part of it, the others were many clubs felt trading new draft picks was unfair since it allowed clubs to simply by-pass the uncertainty of the draft by buying a player they wanted.   There were too many backroom deals where a club would offer another club a certain veteran player or future draft spots if they drafted a guy for them.  Trading actual draft picks before the draft does not guarantee you anything unless you have the first pick. 

It also was a pain for the commissioner to have to decide if a draft day trade was fair pretty much on the spot. 

For the love of Christ, Joe Burrow will be drafted by the  Cincinnati Bengals no. 1 overall.  No matter what.  Even if was still allowed, there is nothing in his makeup that suggests he would sit out if drafted by them, especially given the fact that he grew up in the state of Ohio is already a God damn hero without ever stepping foot on an NFL field.  I know alot of this is simple hyperbole, but damn its just not realistic.  

The thought of him having an impact on the team with personnel, like Carson tried, is something that could possible happen.  He could potentially be the best quarterback they have had in this organization if his college play translates like most people think it will.  New coach, new quarterback, hopefully some new visions from ownership.  Most likely Brown will continue to be stubborn on most things, but damn man, stop with the fact that Burrow wont be in a Cincinnati uniform come this fall.  Its just never going to happen.  Just like them drafting Chase fucking Young is never going to happen and never should happen.  

18 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

For the love of Christ, Joe Burrow will be drafted by the  Cincinnati Bengals no. 1 overall.  No matter what.  Even if was still allowed, there is nothing in his makeup that suggests he would sit out if drafted by them, especially given the fact that he grew up in the state of Ohio is already a God damn hero without ever stepping foot on an NFL field.  I know alot of this is simple hyperbole, but damn its just not realistic.  

The thought of him having an impact on the team with personnel, like Carson tried, is something that could possible happen.  He could potentially be the best quarterback they have had in this organization if his college play translates like most people think it will.  New coach, new quarterback, hopefully some new visions from ownership.  Most likely Brown will continue to be stubborn on most things, but damn man, stop with the fact that Burrow wont be in a Cincinnati uniform come this fall.  Its just never going to happen.  Just like them drafting Chase fucking Young is never going to happen and never should happen.  

Preach. 

2 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

I think passing on the estimated 4 year $35.5 mil guaranteed contract the #1 gets would be ridiculous for a 23 year old who has NO eligibility left.  Add in that the current 5th year option on a NFL QB is $22.8 mil guaranteed and it is laughable that he would sit.   So if he plays just good he probably makes over $60 mil in 5 years. 

He sits and there is no guarantee he, now 24 and a year removed,  gets the #1 pick next year regardless.  Could end up on a shitty Jacksonville, Detroit or San Diego club getting paid less and his incredible Senior season a distant memory.  Not happening. 

Archived