The Official Super Joe Burrow Dress Rehearsal Game Thread

My big concern is that the Bengals fall in love with a guy like Herbert at the Senior Bowl.  He's got all the physical tools and will look amazing throwing against air in practice.  My fear is they'll trade down to someone else and end up with the 3rd or 4th best QB in the class.

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Why... outside of Burrow this QB class is questionable at best. Burrow is the best QB prospect in the college and I don't Lawerence or Fields are better. 

Just do the obvious thing a get a great player, the Bengals had 10 draft picks last year and got a whole lot of nothing. Quality over quantity

The Sour Puss Posse (SPP) specializes in contrarianism.  

23 minutes ago, Girevik said:

My big concern is that the Bengals fall in love with a guy like Herbert at the Senior Bowl.  He's got all the physical tools and will look amazing throwing against air in practice.  My fear is they'll trade down to someone else and end up with the 3rd or 4th best QB in the class.

The Brown family wants to sell season tickets.  The easiest way to do that is draft the Athens Ohio  Heisman Trophy  and National Champion winning QB.  The quickest way to have people cancel their tickets is trade down and pick up a Justin Herbert.  Tua would be a wash.  Its a no brainer.  Everyone thinks Burrow should be the #1 pick. 

The Brown family has complete cover on this choice, everyone expects them to pick him and he is the best player for the team based on need.   It gives Mike and family 1 to 2 years of not having to answer questions about the direction of the team or the QB.

9 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Hopefully this puts a lot of the "He won't want the Bengals to draft him" bull shit to bed.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28499580/father-says-joe-burrow-happy-drafted-bengals

Its already put to bed.  Most of this in the media and on this forum, quite frankly, is nonsense spewed out of boredom.  These players do not think like fucking fans.  Joe Burrow believes in himself through and through....i would imagine.  Just a hunch.  With that comes the confidence to go to a team and turn it around.  Here is a news flash for those who are unaware, usually when a team drafts number one overall (See also 2003), they need a quarterback.  Its not rocket science.  The kid will be drafted by Cincinnati and he will play from day 1 (barring the injury curse).  Period.   

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Jim Burrow on Joe Burrow possibly being drafted by the Bengals: "We've talked about it. I can be in my seat in 3.5 hours from Athens (Ohio), that's certainly a positive.

"He's excited to be in that conversation and if the Bengals do draft him, he's going to be happy." #TSN690

Of course he is because he is not some goofball fan.  He's not thinking the same way.    

34 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Brown family wants to sell season tickets.  The easiest way to do that is draft the Athens Ohio  Heisman Trophy  and National Champion winning QB.  The quickest way to have people cancel their tickets is trade down and pick up a Justin Herbert.  Tua would be a wash.  Its a no brainer.  Everyone thinks Burrow should be the #1 pick. 

The Brown family has complete cover on this choice, everyone expects them to pick him and he is the best player for the team based on need.   It gives Mike and family 1 to 2 years of not having to answer questions about the direction of the team or the QB.

Yup.  Brown turned down New Orleans' entire draft in order to stay pat and draft Akili Smith.  Mike is cheap, but not stupid.  Joe will get the butts back in the seats, because fans remember what it was like when Carson was doing his thing, before Kimo rolled up his knee.  The town was on fire.  He will not risk Herbert being Ryan Leaf 2.0.

9 minutes ago, Jet23 said:

Yup.  Brown turned down New Orleans' entire draft in order to stay pat and draft Akili Smith.  Mike is cheap, but not stupid.  Joe will get the butts back in the seats, because fans remember what it was like when Carson was doing his thing, before Kimo rolled up his knee.  The town was on fire.  He will not risk Herbert being Ryan Leaf 2.0.

Any pick besides Burrow will result in years of comparisons and months of scorn on the club from most in the national media.  No way the front office goes that direction. 

59 minutes ago, SF2 said:

couldn't agree with this any more.. like all of it.

I think Burrow is the right pick, but it totally the right pick for the Bengals for all of the reasons you have stated..

Best pick and easiest thing for them to do.

8 hours ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

I love idiots that act like Price is a bust. He’s been in the league a couple of years and has had multiple line coaches. How long has Hopkins been in the league or Zeitler before he became solid. Just stfu if you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Hopkins was expected to be at best a longer term prospect. Price was expected to start on day 1 or at the latest season 2. He has been, too date, a bust as a 1st round pick the same as Ross. Hopkins improved under both those same line coaches while price has arguably gotten worse. 

This nothing to do with coaches, he has simply been useless so far. There is nothing to argue on that point. The same arguments were being made about Fisher and Og and this plays into one of the main problems this team has - it hangs onto players too long when they should move on. 

I am willing to give Price this next season, or at least pre season to prove he at least a worthy backup. Keep in mind how bad this line is and he still cant crack the lineup. 

He is a bust to date. Fully and Completely. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

WTF are YOU talking about?  Zeitler was a day 1 starter and has been a solid starter his entire career. You don't get 3yrs $32mil by being average.   Price is a part time starter that lost his job to an undrafted FA and had to share time at guard with a 4th round rookie.   You pick players in the first round to immediately plug into the lineup, not develop over a few years into average starters. 

Can Price turn it around and become an OK starter?  Sure but the team drafted him in the first round to be a good starter in 2018 not a long term project. 

It is why I get annoyed when people bash Dalton.  Dude was an emergency 2nd round draft pick to replace the quitter. The team actually got lucky if you consider all the QBs drafted before him except Cam.  12 QBs were drafted in 2011, only 1 has over 200 TDs, 30,000 yds passing and 70 wins.  That player's name is not Cam Newton.   Jake Locker was the 8th pick that year, he won 9 games in his career.   

Don't get me wrong, if you have a chance at a possible generational QB, you have to take it. The game is far easier when you have a Brees, Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, or Wilson.

Well said.

12 hours ago, Bengal_Buckeye said:

I love idiots that act like Price is a bust. He’s been in the league a couple of years and has had multiple line coaches. How long has Hopkins been in the league or Zeitler before he became solid. Just stfu if you have no clue what you’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Buckeye homer.  Haha.  Price may not be a bust, yet...but he has been horrible for any lineman, much less a first round pick.  You want to know how long Hopkins has been in the league?  Go google it.  He's had a plenty of o-line coaches too. 

butthurt.jpg

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Like they'd say anything else given the circumstances. It's funny that the only benefit that came to mind was the short driving distance.

Look, obviously going to New Orleans or New England would be awesome.  And the reality is taking over In Pittsburgh would be great for any young good QB. That isn’t how the NFL works. 

24 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Look, obviously going to New Orleans or New England would be awesome.  And the reality is taking over In Pittsburgh would be great for any young good QB. That isn’t how the NFL works. 

Exactly, which is why I find it funny that anyone thinks his Dad's comments amount to more than him accepting his fate.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Exactly, which is why I find it funny that anyone thinks his Dad's comments amount to more than him accepting his fate.

Can't he have legitimate enthusiasm about playing professional football in his home state? That's not some absurd notion that only glossy-eyed naive children would believe. It's pretty damned simple.

Just now, spicoli said:

Bitter much?

Me? What do I have to be bitter about? I'm just a spectator here, & this is how things look to me.  I've watched this organization shoot themselves in the foot too many times to get that excited over a new pair of shoes.

25 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

Can't he have legitimate enthusiasm about playing professional football in his home state? That's not some absurd notion that only glossy-eyed naive children would believe. It's pretty damned simple.

Sure he could, but like others have pointed out it's not like he has a choice.  Expecting him to say anything different is the part I find a little naive, given the circumstances. What's he going to do, trash his designated future team?  

As quoted from a Bloomberg :pointlaff: White House reporter:

"Whoever wants to pay me money to play the game of football, I'll play for 'em, it doesn't matter to me,"

Now that I can believe.

On a scale of 1 to encasing the entire website in lead-lined concrete, how bad would the meltdown here be if we trade the pick away?

He's not going to pull an Elway in January so what else would his dad say? In theory, there's still time for the Bengals to shape up and become a professional organization. That won't happen but if Burrow was going to pull a power play, it wouldn't happen until the week of the draft. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Sure he could, but like others have pointed out it's not like he has a choice.  Expecting him to say anything different is the part I find a little naive, given the circumstances. What's he going to do, trash his designated future team?  

"Whoever wants to pay me money to play the game of football, I'll play for 'em, it doesn't matter to me,"

Now that I can believe.

On a scale of 1 to encasing the entire website in lead-lined concrete, how bad would the meltdown here be if we trade the pick away?

As little as I have been interested in knowing the deep thoughts of Smokin' Joe, he is either the best actor of playing the "me..famous?" aw shucks role...or he truly is as bland as vanilla wafers. Either way, it's not a bad trait. At least he will not be seen in some Columbus bar buying Fireball rounds for the house, ala Johnny Football. 

Do detect a bit of mercenary in that response, which is OK too. After all, he will be a paid entertainer. 

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Now that I can believe.

If he intended on sitting out and not playing for the Bengals, sure, he could say whatever he wanted.

Archived