Building the 2020 Bengals

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/13/cincinnati-bengals-offseason-moves-2020-trade-free-agency-playoff-contenders/

1. Draft Joe Burrow
  2. Extend A.J. Green
  3. Cut/Trade Cordy Glenn
  4. Get Out from Under Dre Kirkpatrick’s contract
  5. Extend Joe Mixon
  6. Trade Andy Dalton
  7. Hire a GM

All above from the BengalsWire article.  Agree with any/all?  Additions or deletions?

2 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/13/cincinnati-bengals-offseason-moves-2020-trade-free-agency-playoff-contenders/

1. Draft Joe Burrow
  2. Extend A.J. Green
  3. Cut/Trade Cordy Glenn
  5. Extend Joe Mixon
  6. Trade Andy Dalton
  7. Hire a GM

All above from the BengalsWire article.  Agree with any/all?  Additions or deletions?

Well, Harry.  Pretty good list.

Extend A.J. rather than transition tag him because I think its important to have him get as much time with Joe Burrow as possible before the season starts, no sitting out workouts, training camp, etc.  He is still a top tier NFL wide receiver and a veteran presence would be invaluable to the new qb.  

If they can trade Kirkpatrick for anything, fine.  If not, get him to restructure his moronically high pay and cap hit for the next two years.

I would also...

Trade John Ross.  Fragile and can't catch when he's healthy.  Dumb as a bag of doorknobs.

Extend WJIII.

Re-sign Eifert.  Still got it even if played sparingly.  Him and Tate in the red zone with Joe Burrow and Mixon in the backfield with a revamped line could be awesome.

Re-sign Dennard esp if the price is right.  Give serious thought to Phillip's future with the team.

1. Draft Joe Burrow

2. Extend or Tag AJ

3. Extend Eiffert

4. Extend Mixon

5. Trade Andy

6. Sign some Oline FAs before we talk about cutting or trading Glenn.

7. Find at least one LB in FA

8. Dre K will be around, we have other needs and might not keep Dennard (though i hope we do)

Draft BPA between LB and RT in round 2.

If he's there I draft Thaddus Moss in 3, I am a big believer in giving rookie QBs a good RB and a good TE, Burrow already has a relationship with Moss and from what I've read he is a day 3 pick anyway.

BPA the rest of the draft.

I don't think everything gets fixed in one year. We are 2 years away from being a competitive team again, which is fine as most rookie QBs need at least a year to gestate and adjust to the speed of the NFL anyway.

They need to find a replacement for Ross. His role within the offense is a big one, they just need someone they can count on in that spot. Not sure what round yet but, Devin Duvernay is a guy I’d LOVE to see on this team in the Ross role. 

43 minutes ago, spicoli said:

They need to find a replacement for Ross. His role within the offense is a big one, they just need someone they can count on in that spot. Not sure what round yet but, Devin Duvernay is a guy I’d LOVE to see on this team in the Ross role. 

While an upgrade on Ross is obviously the best choice, it's highly unlikely.  I think we'll just have to hope that Joe and his incredible deep ball accuracy gives Ross more confidence than Andy and his knack for leaving them short so that receivers have to battle for it (granted Ross has dropped several wide-open passes over these two seasons).

I can't see Ross going anywhere considering the team already paid for him.  If they could trade him that would be great but other teams have these things called scouts and they have noticed he always seams to have a soft tissue injury, drops the ball too much and had a tough time learning the offense when he first got here.  I doubt anyone would take him on a 1 year flyer given the issues particularly learning the playbook as a rookie. 

Totally agree with Jamie on Glenn.  No way we get rid of him until the replacement is in house.  He played well down the stretch and maybe they have worked out the "concussion" issue. 

11 minutes ago, spicoli said:

No way Ross is on this team for the 2020 season. Cut, traded, whatever...he’s played his last game for Cincinnati. 

Why do you feel this way?

Rookie contract. What if he’s actually as good as he was against Seattle? What if he stays healthy? Can you fill 4-5 other receiver spots with more upside? Because, we couldn’t this past year.

Ross isnt going anywhere. AJ isnt under contract once FA opens up (though I suspect something gets done even if it's a tag) there is no way they let Ross go, especially if AJ isnt here. They might move on from him next year, but not this one.

24 minutes ago, spicoli said:

No way Ross is on this team for the 2020 season. Cut, traded, whatever...he’s played his last game for Cincinnati. 

13 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Rookie contract. What if he’s actually as good as he was against Seattle? What if he stays healthy? Can you fill 4-5 other receiver spots with more upside? Because, we couldn’t this past year.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Ross isnt going anywhere. AJ isnt under contract once FA opens up (though I suspect something gets done even if it's a tag) there is no way they let Ross go, especially if AJ isnt here. They might move on from him next year, but not this one.

I actually agree with Spicoli on this but don't think it will happen.  If Wonder Boy ver 2.0  wants to actually change the culture, one way is to send guys who get paid too much and produce little packing.  It is why I think Glenn will be gone too but not until they have a legitimate replacement.    Ross simply has not lived up to his draft slot, not even close.  The guy has his flashes of brilliance but his bad habits, injuries and drops far out weigh that.  If the guy was a 4th rounder on a dirt cheap contract nobody would care.  Fact is with a healthy AJ Green, Tate and Boyd on the field, he just becomes an overpaid situational receiver.  

25 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Because ZT can’t preach winning culture to the locker room and then trot that dumbass out there. You have to have players that buy in and are accountable for their actions on the field and in their preparation. Well, that ain’t John Ross. Time to hit the road. 

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

1. Draft Joe Burrow
  2. Extend A.J. Green
  3. Cut/Trade Cordy Glenn
  5. Extend Joe Mixon
  6. Trade Andy Dalton
  7. Hire a GM

Questions? Trading Andy - why not let him stay and guide the young man?

Why not put a tender on A.J. Green for say a number 1 and see how it plays out?

Does cutting Glenn and Dre save CAP money and how much?

Why do you think we should hire a GM - you know its not going to happen?

Things to ADD to the list....

Add OL help in FA

Draft a LB, WR, RT BPA in the draft... Joe won't do anything without a line.

Fire the DC - horrible - horrible job.

Ross was actually playing well until he got hurt. I know that happens a lot, and he drops a lot of passes, but I’d like to see what he can do with a QB that can actually place the ball well for him and hit him in stride. 

44 minutes ago, mhfinks said:

Add OL help in FA

1. I trade Andy because I think Burrow can start day 1 as he has been playing a pro-style system, and if I believe we are a few years away from competing again why not get him the experience now? As well as get at least something for Andy?

2. Burrow needs all the experienced weapons he can get right away so that he can have a bit of a "security blanket" to develop.

3. Probably but I don't let either of them go unless a replacement that I feel good about is already on the roster.

4. Didn't say anything about a GM? Not sure who added that to your quote, but it's not in my original post.

I agree add OL in FA as well as LB. I'd like a Guard and at least 1 LB in FA. Draft a RT and a LB as well.  I'd like a pass catching TE, I believe they are the best way to help a young QB along. Bengals already announced both Coordinators are coming back so ...

59 minutes ago, mhfinks said:

Add OL help in FA

The list isn't mine.  Its from the article and all your questions are answered, including the CAP money.

A.J. has said if he does not have a contract and is franchised he will not come to the voluntary mini camp and probably hold out preseason.

I want him under contract and here for a few years for veteran stability for the new quarterback and not a temp who will be gone in a year or

we go through the same dog and pony show again.

Brandon Scherff has been mentioned a few times as a FA.  Losing Glenn frees up a boatload of $$ that could be used on him

with a few bucks in change left over.

I think any LB there in the second round will be almost a reach because the field is so thin.  Best slider OL or WR.  Should be one

there.  LSU C Cushenberry is a Junior but if he would come out I would like to see him a Bengal with a mid round pick.

Bring in Joe's father as a defensive coach.  Was defensive coordinator at Ohio University.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

1. Draft Joe Burrow
  2. Extend A.J. Green
  3. Cut/Trade Cordy Glenn
  5. Extend Joe Mixon
  6. Trade Andy Dalton
  7. Hire a GM

What I'd do:

1 Clean house, firing Taylor, Tobin, and most of the coaches.  Since that won't happen, at least look for better assistant coaches. Bring in Bill Callahan for O-line and Kris Richard for DBs. Duffner will be fine for LBs. 

2 See who is on the trade block around the league. I'm interested in Trent Williams and OJ Howard if they're available. 

3 We go into free agency with about 53 mil in cap space if we tag Green. The goal should be to add starting quality free agents so we can draft BPA. We should also trade/cut some of our bad (Hart, Webb) or overpaid (Uzomah, Bernard, Kirkpatrick, Glenn, Dalton) guys. We can add another 40 mil in cap space there. 

4 In free agency we should re-sign Dennard, Fedjalem, Carter, and extend Green, Mixon, and Jackson. We should re-sign Eifert unless we've traded for Howard. We should look to upgrade from Vigil and Billings. On offense, we would need a veteran backup QB to mentor Burrow and upgrades at RG and RT. Something like Matt Moore for 5 mil, Scherff for 13 and Conklin for 15. On defense we could target Littleton for 10 mil, Schobert for 8, Shelton for 8 and Bradberry for 5. Bengals of course won't be that successful in free agency but will have plenty of money to afford top talent. 

5 Take Joe Burrow at 1. After that look for BPA and good value. Be willing to trade up or down. Priority is making Burrow successful from the start and not giving him the Klingler shellshock or Akili sink or swim treatment.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Because ZT can’t preach winning culture to the locker room and then trot that dumbass out there. You have to have players that buy in and are accountable for their actions on the field and in their preparation. Well, that ain’t John Ross. Time to hit the road. 

I think we can all agree that on virtually any other team Ross would be gone, but here he will probably stay. ZT will be over ruled by Mikey

I would like to see 2-3 more scouts.  Steve Radicevic was the West Coast scout who got promoted to Director of Pro Scouting.  But I think he is still doing the West Coast scouting gig too.  Same with Mike Potts who is now Director of College Scouting and still doing his Southeast region college scouting.  You can't be 2 places at once.  I understand now why the team misses players wearing braces, fully recovered from injury, etc.  They have to be relying too much on just tape or networked friends opinions and not actually going to games and seeing with their own eyes.  I know Bengal's use their coaches as scouts as most other teams also do.  But most other teams use the coaches as the 2nd and 3rd opinion guys not the 1st cut.

A recent article talked about a another team's scout who went to see a highly regarded lineman who was injured.  Watching the player he noticed he wasn't just wearing a jersey joking around on the sideline.  The player was involved, drawing diagrams on the whiteboard, really involved with team.  You wouldn't know that if you were not there.  He starts for the team now.

Scouts are pretty cheap...$50k -$100k...depending on experience.  Just finding a couple solid starters every year would be little money well spent.

17 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I would like to see 2-3 more scouts.  Steve Radicevic was the West Coast scout who got promoted to Director of Pro Scouting.  But I think he is still doing the West Coast scouting gig too.  Same with Mike Potts who is now Director of College Scouting and still doing his Southeast region college scouting.  You can't be 2 places at once.  I understand now why the team misses players wearing braces, fully recovered from injury, etc.  They have to be relying too much on just tape or networked friends opinions and not actually going to games and seeing with their own eyes.  I know Bengal's use their coaches as scouts as most other teams also do.  But most other teams use the coaches as the 2nd and 3rd opinion guys not the 1st cut.

A recent article talked about a another team's scout who went to see a highly regarded lineman who was injured.  Watching the player he noticed he wasn't just wearing a jersey joking around on the sideline.  The player was involved, drawing diagrams on the whiteboard, really involved with team.  You wouldn't know that if you were not there.  He starts for the team now.

Scouts are pretty cheap...$50k -$100k...depending on experience.  Just finding a couple solid starters every year would be little money well spent.

Preaching to the choir. The fact Mikey either fails to see this or refuses to accept it just shows what a buffoon he is with no regard for winning.

7 hours ago, mhfinks said:

$17M in cap space could bring in a starting guard and LB.  Not to mention Mixon is going to want a big raise.

And he wants to be a starter, not a mentor.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

$17M in cap space could bring in a starting guard and LB.  Not to mention Mixon is going to want a big raise.

And he wants to be a starter, not a mentor.

and that tibor dude would lose his shit... I am sure they will take that in to consideration 

Archived