Building the 2020 Bengals

As much as I'd love to see a more well-rounded team next year, I would have absolutely no problem with the Bengals spending the majority of their high end picks on the offensive line. Even if it means waiting a year for the appropriate LB/Secondary help, we've really gotta protect this kid straight out of the gate.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Ross's hours of practice and experience to say nothing of his veteran leadership will

help Joe improve his skills at Super Mario Cart.

In 48 possible games Ross has played in 24 of them.   He has caught 3 or more passes only 6 times in 3 years.   He has broken 50 yards in a game 3 times.  All this for only $4.28 mil a year.  He was having a better season this year but that was simply due to AJ Green not being on the field.  When both Boyd and Green are on the field Ross is pretty much just a decoy. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

In 48 possible games Ross has played in 24 of them.   He has caught 3 or more passes only 6 times in 3 years.   He has broken 50 yards in a game 3 times.  All this for only $4.28 mil a year. 

He also has the 4th highest score on the Jurassic Park first person shooter video game in the lobby of the Cinemark Western Hills 14 under the name A.S.S. and it only cost him $27,000 to earn it.

Anyone with a history of missing games should be expendable.  I'd rather have an average player that shows up for 16 games a year than a great one that plays 4-5 on average.  We're still trying to win that 2015 Wildcard game.

They can't talk about "toughness" as a core team value and keep paying these veteran guys not to play.   Talk is cheap; the locker room sees them making big money to sit in a whirlpool bath all week and can't help but think "Why am I over here busting my ass for vet minimum?"  That's just human nature.  Honestly we need someone like Dr. Phil to come in here and take the entire FO behind the woodshed for a long overdue reality check.  It's great if they want to run a family business but it's the NFL, not the only donut shop in Mayberry.  They're in direct competition with owners who run their team like the massive corporate franchise it actually is & the results are predictable.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Anyone with a history of missing games should be expendable.  I'd rather have an average player that shows up for 16 games a year than a great one that plays 4-5 on average.  We're still trying to win that 2015 Wildcard game.

They can't talk about "toughness" as a core team value and keep paying these veteran guys not to play.   Talk is cheap; the locker room sees them making big money to sit in a whirlpool bath all week and can't help but think "Why am I over here busting my ass for vet minimum?"  That's just human nature.  Honestly we need someone like Dr. Phil to come in here and take the entire FO behind the woodshed for a long overdue reality check.  It's great if they want to run a family business but it's the NFL, not the only donut shop in Mayberry.  They're in direct competition with owners who run their team like the massive corporate franchise it actually is & the results are predictable.

Not only predictable, but quite evident.

• 2 weeks later...

I caught the tale end of an ex-NFL player (not sure who) on one of the sports radio shows talking about the 49ers rebuild. he said Many of us have been in those dressing rooms where either it is always rebuilding or the players know there is no solid plan, and it is impossible to get motivated to play at a peak performance level'.  Made me think of a certain team...

Can't change the culture until the players are convinced their is a solid plan and it is being executed. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:41 AM, Gremzz said:

As much as I'd love to see a more well-rounded team next year, I would have absolutely no problem with the Bengals spending the majority of their high end picks on the offensive line. Even if it means waiting a year for the appropriate LB/Secondary help, we've really gotta protect this kid straight out of the gate.

I'd love to see them address one of their OL/LBs needs (each) with serviceable FAs.  That would mean higher-level signings than Hart/Miller/Jerry or Hawk/Brown though (and we are talking the Bengals FO here)..

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

:24: 
Or there were just 2, and both were Pratt against Cleveland. 

😁

I look at the Bengals LB core and at the very least (after Pratt), they need a decent journeyman FA LB, a 2nd or 3rd Rd. draft pick, a later-Rd. draft pick, a holdover - maybe Vigil if the price is not to high and he's not just given a starting job.  After that?  They need  2 or 3 "finds" (waiver pickups, UDFAs, etc.) for depth.  It would be nice to find a Vinnie Rey-type (solid if not spectacular, able to fill multiple spots, a teams ace).  Coming up with a strong blitzer/pass-rusher somewhere along the line wouldn't hurt either.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:41 AM, Gremzz said:

Me either. If Mixon isn't getting crushed behind the LOS all the time against good defenses Burrows uni stays a lot cleaner. Burrow/OL/OL/LB or Burrow/OL/LB/OL would  suit me just fine.

Cut to the chase...

Draft Joe

Re-sign A.J. for 2-3 years

Extend Joe Mixon

Would be OK with trading down the top pick in the second round if the price was right

but take the best slider available hopefully at linebacker, O line or wide receiver in that order.

Maybe bring back Eifert for a year for a big, sure handed target situational receiver.

Trade Andy, Glenn and Ross (tired of waiting for him to reach his po-ten-tial).

Archived