Jump to content

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, bfine said:

Wasn't that the SD game?

 

The game our D held SD to punts in the 4th quarter until SD's last drive and we had to sellout on D to try to get a turnover so we crowded the box. Then Ronnie Brown who had 7 carries for 17 yards found a gap in sell out D and managed to run for a 60 yard TD, because we had everybody at the LOS trying to get the ball back and give it to an offense that had had 3 straight turnovers in that same quarter.

 

Are we thinking of the same game? Stupid Linebackers!!

San Diego had a good opening 3rd quarter drive, 80 yards for a TD.

After that Andy gave them the ball on the Cincy 48 and 3 resulting in 2 field goals after a fumble and int.   You have to give the defense huge credit for only giving up 3 points when it was first and goal on the 3.

On the next series Dalton completed the turnover tri-fecta giving San Diego the ball on the 50 on another int.  At that point the Bolts just ran the ball and burned the clock. 

 

It was that game that firmly made me believe Marvin needed to go and Andy might not have what it takes. 

 

Those Bengals 2nd Half Drives were outstanding.

large.bengslast6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

San Diego had a good opening 3rd quarter drive, 80 yards for a TD.

After that Andy gave them the ball on the Cincy 48 and 3 resulting in 2 field goals after a fumble and int.   You have to give the defense huge credit for only giving up 3 points when it was first and goal on the 3.

On the next series Dalton completed the turnover tri-fecta giving San Diego the ball on the 50 on another int.  At that point the Bolts just ran the ball and burned the clock. 

 

It was that game that firmly made me believe Marvin needed to go and Andy might not have what it takes. 

 

Those Bengals 2nd Half Drives were outstanding.

large.bengslast6.png

This is the exact game i remember.  Funny isnt it?  There are some real Cincinnati Bengals spin doctors up in this forum.  Its comical.  I had the same feeling that game as well.  Definitely is a team game, with more than one person having to shoulder blame.  However, it became very apparent from that day forward, Dalton was not much more than middle of the road, with circumstances having to be just right for success.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

However, it became very apparent from that day forward, Dalton was not much more than middle of the road, with circumstances having to be just right for success.    

 

50 minutes ago, SF2 said:

 

It was that game that firmly made me believe Marvin needed to go and Andy might not have what it takes. 

 

Those Bengals 2nd Half Drives were outstanding.

 

We cannot forget the fumble that made the buttfumble look like a flawless execution of ball security.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bfine said:

 

We cannot forget the fumble that made the buttfumble look like a flawless execution of ball security.

 

Don't forget Melvin Ingram's comments after the game that they had seen every play the Bengals ran and knew before the snap what it would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

 

Don't forget Melvin Ingram's comments after the game that they had seen every play the Bengals ran and knew before the snap what it would be.

That's because Dalton texted them every detail before the game.  It's ALL Andy's fault!  The futility that has plagued the Bengals organization for 30+ years is ALL Dalton's fault.  He deserves 100% of all blame and 0% of any credit for any incremental successes they have ever had.  It's so obvious!  :ph34r:

 

I'll be glad when the Dalton era is over in Cincy just because maybe it will cut down on the Dalton Wars here...it will probably never go away with some here, but there's always hope.

 

Regardless of how you feel about Andy, it's very clear that you're never going to change anyone else's opinion on this board.

 

:fistpump::2dedhorse::facepalm:...and so we don't forget what's really important...:steelerssuck:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

That's because Dalton texted them every detail before the game.  It's ALL Andy's fault!  The futility that has plagued the Bengals organization for 30+ years is ALL Dalton's fault.  He deserves 100% of all blame and 0% of any credit for any incremental successes they have ever had.  It's so obvious!  :ph34r:

 

I'll be glad when the Dalton era is over in Cincy just because maybe it will cut down on the Dalton Wars here...it will probably never go away with some here, but there's always hope.

 

Regardless of how you feel about Andy, it's very clear that you're never going to change anyone else's opinion on this board.

 

:fistpump::2dedhorse::facepalm:...and so we don't forget what's really important...:steelerssuck:

 

 

I take some comfort in knowing the same people will immediately turn on Burrow the first time he has a bad game.   Not that a rookie QB behind a comically bad OL would ever have a bad game, of course.  

 

h5A6A29F4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

That's because Dalton texted them every detail before the game.  It's ALL Andy's fault!  The futility that has plagued the Bengals organization for 30+ years is ALL Dalton's fault.  He deserves 100% of all blame and 0% of any credit for any incremental successes they have ever had.  It's so obvious!  :ph34r:

 

I'll be glad when the Dalton era is over in Cincy just because maybe it will cut down on the Dalton Wars here...it will probably never go away with some here, but there's always hope.

 

Regardless of how you feel about Andy, it's very clear that you're never going to change anyone else's opinion on this board.

 

:fistpump::2dedhorse::facepalm:...and so we don't forget what's really important...:steelerssuck:

 

Anyone who ever said it was ALL Andy's fault doesn't know what they're talking about. The hole in the side of the Titanic was not the ONLY reason 1517 people died on it; but it was a big part of it. I get some will point to the arrangement of the deck chairs as a cause. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bfine said:

Anyone who ever said it was ALL Andy's fault doesn't know what they're talking about. The hole in the side of the Titanic was not the ONLY reason 1517 people died on it; but it was a big part of it. I get some will point to the arrangement of the deck chairs as a cause. 

They really should have arranged those chairs differently....😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yall seeing these arguments that Mike Brown Bengals does not deserve the number one pick?  Because Mike Brown hasn't done shit in three decades and the Bengals getting a number one pick is rewarding incompetence and failure.  

Very interesting. IMO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Yall seeing these arguments that Mike Brown Bengals does not deserve the number one pick?  Because Mike Brown hasn't done shit in three decades and the Bengals getting a number one pick is rewarding incompetence and failure.  

Very interesting. IMO 

Its definitely interesting to see the assorted sports media just now figured out how the NFL draft works. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Its definitely interesting to see the assorted sports media just now figured out how the NFL draft works. 

Same rocket surgeons pick the Browns to be AFC North Champions and Super Bowl contenders. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Same rocket surgeons pick the Browns to be AFC North Champions and Super Bowl contenders. 

 

Yeah whenever someone tries to make the argument that media bias is somehow based on merit all you have to say is "Cleveland".   Not sure if they're seen as a more viable market or what but they are definitely not held to the same standard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland has gotten shit on, for a lack of a better term, a shit ton.  The media sucked them off this year, because it looked like they finally made the right choice at quarterback, made other good draft choices, and made the effort to bring in free agents that would seem to make them better.  That certainly did not happen as we all saw.  However, it wasnt for a lack of trying, which is certainly the narrative when it comes to Mike Brown and the Bengals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill say it again, this team's decline is not all on Andy Dalton.  However, he is certainly apart of it.  They are in a position to move on, so thats what they will do.  It happens with all teams.  Some of those teams, however, would have pulled the plug much sooner.  Whether that is right or wrong, i certainly do not know.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Same rocket surgeons pick the Browns to be AFC North Champions and Super Bowl contenders. 

These media guys aren't necessarily about being right, they're about promoting themselves.  The Browns have a pretty rabid fan base, and Baker Mayfield is very good at making news.  Why wouldn't they pimp the Browns?  It gets them clicks, viewers, reads, or whatever it is that drives their business.  The Bengals fanbase drives a '91 Chevy Lumina. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a reason the power rankings change every week - and it has something to do with talking heads not knowing every-fucking-thing...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthPaw said:

Ill say it again, this team's decline is not all on Andy Dalton.  However, he is certainly apart of it.  They are in a position to move on, so thats what they will do.  It happens with all teams.  Some of those teams, however, would have pulled the plug much sooner.  Whether that is right or wrong, i certainly do not know.    

Absolutely. This team had a window. Windows don't stay open for long in the NFL as we know. It was refreshing what Andy brought to the table after the Carson debacle. We never could take that next step. Of course, it's not all his fault, as stated above. But just as Marvin's message grew stale, so did Andy at QB. After his offense line was depleted the past several years, he had no chance to succeed. But at the same time it didn't get done when he had a good line either. I'm sure the debate will rage on as to why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bengal Cat said:

Absolutely. This team had a window. Windows don't stay open for long in the NFL as we know. It was refreshing what Andy brought to the table after the Carson debacle. We never could take that next step. Of course, it's not all his fault, as stated above. But just as Marvin's message grew stale, so did Andy at QB. After his offense line was depleted the past several years, he had no chance to succeed. But at the same time it didn't get done when he had a good line either. I'm sure the debate will rage on as to why.

I am sure you are absolutely right. There’s a reason I typically choose to stay clear of those discussions: they simply do not matter.
 

I understand, better than the average fan, the history of the franchise and, particularly this ownership. However, I don’t dwell on coach seats for prospective free agent linemen, or used jock straps, or not having up to date practice facilities. Rather, what I do keep in mind, I try to keep simple: the progression of this franchise has been painfully slow and behind the curve. 
 

That said, we are a far cry from the nineties. We’ve experienced fairly sustained and high level success. Culturally, we are leagues from where we were in the nineties. What I want to see is what happens moving forward.
 

We chide most of our recent free agent acquisitions. However, they are improved over most of what the club did to improve in years prior. This club believed, and was able to accomplish it to a great deal, that it could be competitive by drafting and developing well. The Brown family aren’t the type to set a trend, and they are slow to adopt, but they do show that they can be brought around. Marvin Lewis’ most important legacy to Bengals’ fans aren’t the playoff appearances, winning records, and division championships: he was able to posture effectively enough to get the Brown family to change a vast amount of how they conduct football business.

 

What remains to be seen is what happens next. Most of the people on this board claim nothing in place will work and it’s all a lost cause. What I struggle to understand is why even bother to stay tuned in, if in fact, the story has already been written?

 

Burrow is a generational talent. Zac Taylor wasn’t able to coach these guys up enough on his first campaign, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have aptitude for growth and improvement...like his players. Something really can happen here. If I was as convinced I knew ahead of time that we were going to fail, I wouldn’t bother paying attention, let alone talk about it with other fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/joe-burrow-bengals-2020-nfl-draft/t0svd7e6nnyb16ngxhbzbh49e

 

Quote

 

Joe Burrow and the Bengals: Attacking false narratives around likely No. 1 pick in 2020 NFL Draft

WRITTEN BY BILL BENDER

 

The Bengals are not going to ruin Joe Burrow after they take him with the No. 1 over pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

 

There should be no doubt in the organization's mind about the QB who is coming off arguably the greatest college football team of all time, and his father Jimmy recently confirmed to FOX-19 Cincinnati that Burrow is not trying to talk his way out of being drafted by the Bengals.


That Cincinnati isn't the right place for Burrow, and that he will never win a Super Bowl there, are a couple more terrible narratives around the 23-year-old passer and the idea of him playing for the Bengals.

 

Let's break down the absurdity of all of them.

 

'The Bengals will ruin the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback's career.'


Wrong. Cincinnati is not QB hell. That's up the road in Cleveland, and the Browns might have finally figured it out with Baker Mayfield. Maybe.

 

What quarterback did Cincinnati ruin in the last 40 years?

 

It can't be Ken Anderson, who started in a Super Bowl and led the NFL in passing yards twice.

 

It's not Boomer Esiason, who also started in a Super Bowl and won the NFL MVP award in 1988.

 

It's not Andy Dalton, a second-round pick in 2011 who has two more regular-season wins as a starter than Cam Newton, who was the No. 1 pick in the same draft. Dalton has overachieved given the expectations.

 

Even Jeff Blake and Jon Kitna carved out decent careers with the Bengals.

So, where does this narrative come from?

 

It's rooted in Carson Palmer's career arc. The Bengals took Palmer with the No. 1 pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, and everybody remembers the end. Palmer requested to be traded after the 2010 season, Bengals owner Mike Brown refused, Palmer threatened to retire, and he was eventually traded to the Raiders in 2011.

 

That leaves out the part where Palmer led the Bengals to a 11-5 season in 2005, led the NFL in TD passes with 32 and had a team that could run with the best in the AFC. That all changed when Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen slammed into Palmer's knee in the AFC wild-card game and the quarterback tore his ACL and MCL.

 

That more than anything ruined the Bengals' Super Bowl chances. Which leads to the second point.

 

'Burrow will never win a Super Bowl in Cincinnati.'


This narrative heated up when Burrow joined the Dan Patrick Show and offered a tweetable clip: "You want to go No. 1, but you also want to go to a great organization that's committed to winning, committed to winning Super Bowls,” Burrow said in the interview. “There's a lot of factors that go into it.”

 

Now it's as if the Bengals are the only team that has not won a Super Bowl. There are 12 NFL franchises in that club. Cincinnati is one of five teams that has been to multiple Super Bowls without winning one, along with Minnesota, Buffalo, Atlanta and Carolina. The Chargers are in that club, too, as a franchise that had Dan Fouts and Philip Rivers at quarterback. It's a weak narrative at best.

 

Yes, there are a lot of factors that go into it, and Burrow answers the biggest question for second-year coach Zac Taylor. Cincinnati would have a franchise quarterback to go with good skill position talent that includes Joe Mixon, A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd. That would incentivize building an offensive line that can protect the franchise. If you want to criticize Brown for not spending enough to build a Super Bowl contender, then that's fair.


Maybe he has watched what's going on with former Heisman Trophy winners in Lamar Jackson with Baltimore and Mayfield with Cleveland, not to mention the window to upstage the rival Steelers, who are living out the last days of the Ben Roethlisberger era.

 

The quarterback changes everything, and Burrow has the kind of cachet that could change the outlook for a franchise that is dangerously close to reliving the dark ages from 1991-2004, when the Bengals failed to have a winning season. That's the last talking point.

 

'Cincinnati isn't the right place for Burrow.'


Are you kidding?

 

It's a bonus that Burrow is already a Southeast Ohio legend, a former Ohio High School Mr. Football who would sell jerseys and help increase ticket sales for a franchise that ranked 31st in attendance last season. It makes too much sense. Esiason handed Burrow the freaking Bengals helmet. 


Sure, the Bengals could go for a defensive end like Ohio State's Chase Young or explore other options at quarterback like Oregon's Justin Herbert. Those are draft-day regrets waiting to happen.

 

Go put on the film of the two College Football Playoff games, the ones where Burrow put up 1,035 total yards of offense against Oklahoma and Clemson with an unmistakable flair reserved for the quarterbacks who can change the game and, in this case, a franchise.

 

Cincinnati won't ruin Burrow, and Burrow should embrace the opportunity to play close to home.

 

That is the easiest story to write, because that is what will happen.

 

It's a matter of when, not if.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bengal Cat said:

And THAT my friends is how the cow ate the cabbage. Great Article.

 

Nice to see someone talking some sense at least.  I have to wonder who was pushing all this holdout/trade talk when it clearly wasn't coming from Burrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Bender for President!!!  Woah, wait...who's Bill Bender?  I dunno either, but I like him already!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Nice to see someone talking some sense at least.  I have to wonder who was pushing all this holdout/trade talk when it clearly wasn't coming from Burrow.

Man, you try to get ratings and clicks about the NFL in February after the Super Bowl.  It's "we gotta make some shit up to keep or jobs" time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...