The Rest of Our Draft Picks

21 hours ago, sparky151 said:

There will be. The LB tag numbers are getting ridiculous as they are set by 3-4 edge rushers. Bears have 3 LBs heading to free agency who are better than anyone we have. Danny Trevathan is getting older but Kevin Pierre-Louis or Nick Kwiatkowski aren't. Browns don't seem to want Joe Schobert back. Rams want Corey Littleton back but are cap strapped. Etc. 

So what you are saying is there will be plenty of good linebackers in FA we will pass on.

23 minutes ago, SF2 said:

So what you are saying is there will be plenty of good linebackers in FA we will pass on.

Yeah, pretty much. We could certainly afford them but won't make the effort. I can even forgive that this offseason if they are proactive in upgrading the O-line. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, pretty much. We could certainly afford them but won't make the effort. I can even forgive that this offseason if they are proactive in upgrading the O-line. 

I think they still owe Cordy Glenn and Hart money?

11 hours ago, crazycat said:

Cutting Dre automatically helps the "D"

Nah, it saves us about $8 mil on the cap, just Dre is a solid CB. Folks get caught up in him being drafted in the 1st, and the contract, but he's definitely, better than the likes of Webb.

10 hours ago, bfine said:

Nah, it saves us about $8 mil on the cap, just Dre is a solid CB. Folks get caught up in him being drafted in the 1st, and the contract, but he's definitely, better than the likes of Webb.

I give you he is better than Webb, most rookies are. The problem with Dre is he talks a good game, but he gets burnt on simple moves and whenever the QB throws a pass 20 yards over whomever he is supposed to be covering acts like he did something. The only thing Dre is good at is celebrating.

46 minutes ago, crazycat said:

The only thing Dre is good at is celebrating

That’s not just a Kirkpatrick thing though, pretty much every CB in the NFL does that same stupid shit nowadays. They’re all a bunch of show boats. 

2 hours ago, crazycat said:

I give you he is better than Webb, most rookies are. The problem with Dre is he talks a good game, but he gets burnt on simple moves and whenever the QB throws a pass 20 yards over whomever he is supposed to be covering acts like he did something. The only thing Dre is good at is celebrating.

It's an addition-by-subtraction scenario IMO.   Pacman Jr is the exact sort of showboating, undisciplined, overpaid-for-being-average player I'd be looking to replace.  If the intent is to change the team's culture there's no way you keep this guy around.

Using the fanspeak mock feature (that one will propose trades) and the Matt Miller big board I just ended up with this crew by trading down in several instances (I ended up with an extra 3rd and 5th and two extra 4ths) and making the following selections:

1: R1P1

QB JOE BURROW
LSU

38: R2P6

WR BRANDON AIYUK
ARIZONA STATE

69: R3P5

LB MALIK HARRISON
OHIO STATE

73: R3P9

OT PRINCE TEGA WANOGHO
AUBURN

104: R4P1

TE ADAM TRAUTMAN
DAYTON

124: R4P21

CB LAMAR JACKSON
NEBRASKA

140: R4P37

WR ISAIAH HODGINS
OREGON STATE

147: R5P1

CB TROY PRIDE JR.
NOTRE DAME

160: R5P14

OT BEN BARTCH
ST. JOHNS

180: R6P1

G SHANE LEMIEUX
OREGON

215: R7P1

S JALEN ELLIOTT
NOTRE DAME

4 hours ago, membengal said:

Using the fanspeak mock feature (that one will propose trades) and the Matt Miller big board I just ended up with this crew by trading down in several instances (I ended up with an extra 3rd and 5th and two extra 4ths) and making the following selections:

1: R1P1

QB JOE BURROW
LSU

38: R2P6

WR BRANDON AIYUK
ARIZONA STATE

69: R3P5

LB MALIK HARRISON
OHIO STATE

73: R3P9

OT PRINCE TEGA WANOGHO
AUBURN

104: R4P1

TE ADAM TRAUTMAN
DAYTON

124: R4P21

CB LAMAR JACKSON
NEBRASKA

140: R4P37

WR ISAIAH HODGINS
OREGON STATE

147: R5P1

CB TROY PRIDE JR.
NOTRE DAME

160: R5P14

OT BEN BARTCH
ST. JOHNS

180: R6P1

G SHANE LEMIEUX
OREGON

215: R7P1

S JALEN ELLIOTT
NOTRE DAME

I would be very pleased with that draft although I doubt if some of those choices will be there.

Well, yeah, it is a mock draft and I applaud the effort.

Would like to see Harrison here.

Prince Tega is huge but raw but smart.  With a little grooming he would be an excellent ORT.

Not sure about the first second round pick.  Would like to see who else is there.

Eff it - I am going. I have booked the flights and the hotel. Got half on each due to points. Here we go. My lifelong bad luck jinx versus the Bengals doing the right thing and the national media trying to stir up trouble. What could possibly go wrong????

If anyone else ends up in Vegas - let me know so we can meet up. There's supposed to be quite a good sized contingent heading out there.

10 hours ago, membengal said:

Eff it - I am going. I have booked the flights and the hotel. Got half on each due to points. Here we go. My lifelong bad luck jinx versus the Bengals doing the right thing and the national media trying to stir up trouble. What could possibly go wrong????

If anyone else ends up in Vegas - let me know so we can meet up. There's supposed to be quite a good sized contingent heading out there.

Man I just can't risk being severely disappointed in a state with legal prostitution, gambling and recreational weed.  It it just a bad mix. 

20 hours ago, membengal said:

Have a great time and keep us posted.

Take your mock draft and give it to the Bengals as a guideline.

Really like trading down the first pick in the second round unless, of course, a killer pick somehow slides.

Like Malik Jefferson and Price Tuba picks a lot.

I'm intrigued by Kyle Dugger and would like to see him a Bengal.  Safety/Linebacker tweener from small unheard of school.

Has "Bengal" written all over him as far as a reach ala Drew Sample, etc.  Boom or Bust and we're due.

I go back and forth between wanting a WR or a CB with 2.1. 

I like the idea of adding a young WR to develop with Burrow. Green is a huge question mark. He may or may not be back. Even if he is back he's not a long term solution. Aiyuk, Reagor or Jefferson would be cool. 

We are in a nickel defense 75% of the time or more so adding a good corner is important. Kirk sucks balls, Dennard is a free agent and WJ3 is in a contract year I believe. This draft is stupid deep with corners. Igbinoghne, Gladney, Terrell or Jaylon Johnson would all be huge upgrades in round 2.

I'd be fine with adding a LB (Queen) or RT in 2. Not sure a RT is worth the 2.1 unless one drops which I doubt. Top of 3 is a perfect spot to add a RT like Robert Hunt, Isaiah Wilson or Trey Adams. Akeem Davis-Gaither or Troy Dye would be good LBs to target in 3.

Benjamin Solak's "Would You Rather" column on TDN is a good read this time of year. Here's the first part of today's - and I'm gonna highlight something that caught me off-guard:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/michael-pittman-josh-jones-grant-delpit-tee-higgins-nfl-draft-comparison

CLEMSON WR TEE HIGGINS (ROUND 2) VS. USC WR MICHAEL PITTMAN (ROUND 3)

These are the sort of questions that this exercise is really built around. Not only do Pittman and Higgins both play wide receiver, but they also fill the same prototype at the position. Neither is an explosive athlete, though both have good footwork and stride length to help qualify for the baseline athletic requirements of the position. Both are tremendous at adjusting to inaccurate footballs downfield with good initial judgment of deep passes and aggressive, alpha mentalities around jump balls. And both predicate their game on winning with physicality, length and downfield volume.

Neither has a profile that tends to translate really well to the NFL.

The big catch-radius players who don't have much yards-after-catch juice or separation ability tend to struggle beyond a certain cut-off point in league play. That is to say: The really good ones can stick around, but the Day 3 players, who just need to be fed jump balls to make an impact, don't really get enough volume or trust from their quarterback to do so. Which makes me lean Higgins.

But at the same time, if Higgins and Pittman are going to fill roughly the same role at the NFL level (I believe so), and neither is going to be a WR1 in the NFL (which I believe), why wouldn't I take the round discount?

I think Higgins has a higher ceiling, and I think they have similar floors. But I'm willing to spend less capital on Pittman to do a comparable job for me, even if I miss out on Higgins developing into something more at the NFL level.

Would rather: Pittman (Round 3)

Re: the bolded and underlined part...that's a STRONG take. Not sure I have seen that anywhere else. Makes me less bullish on grabbing Higgins if he drifts to #33 (I've been on the tradeback train anyway). Anyone else got thoughts on this?

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Benjamin Solak's "Would You Rather" column on TDN is a good read this time of year. Here's the first part of today's - and I'm gonna highlight something that caught me off-guard:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/michael-pittman-josh-jones-grant-delpit-tee-higgins-nfl-draft-comparison

Re: the bolded and underlined part...that's a STRONG take. Not sure I have seen that anywhere else. Makes me less bullish on grabbing Higgins if he drifts to #33 (I've been on the tradeback train anyway). Anyone else got thoughts on this?

Tyler Johnson is a WR that I'm higher on than most. Dude was great in the Big 10 and absolutely killed Auburn in the Bowl game.

There are two position groups I'd be of going light (or ignoring outright) in the draft - one on each side of the ball.

On offense, TE.  Everyone would love to have a stud all-around TE to help Burrow, but I'd be actually return Sample & Uzomah at two of the 3 or 4 roster slots and Schreck or Carter in reserve.  I also think there are times when you can utilize Tata in kind of a flex TE role.  If you can get it done a a reasonable $$$ amount with Eifert, I'd be OK with a middle-late round or even a UDFA or two addition while putting a top addition off a year and centering resources elsewhere.  If Eifert's not an option, I think there are journeyman-type guys out there that can stopgap times for a season.

On defense, LB.  Up until recently I believed that a premium round LB draft pick would be a must.  Now, a weak LB class and a reduced emphasis for the position league-wide changed my mind.  If you do go light in the draft though, I believe at least one top young LB FA is a must though.  I see them carrying no more than six LB's though (and wouldn't shock me to see them count Lawson against the six instead as an all-around backer).  Pratt is fine at one starting spot, a FA like Littleton, Schobert, Martinez , etc. needs to be another starter, I'd be OK with re-upping Vigil as a situational guy if possible (but not as a starter and not for starter money).  If Vigil doesn't return, a solid lower-tier FA LB could actually be a bit of an upgrade.  Not enthusiastic about any other returnees.

Top FA, Pratt & Vigil + Lawson gives you 4 of 6.  The other two & depth?  One similarity between TE & LB is their roster priority on  each side of the ball has been reduced of late in the NFL.  Another?  You can more easily find a serviceable candidate on the wavier wire or in mid-late Rd draft picks & UDFAs.  At LB, I'd invest a 5-7 rounder, scour other team's cuts and go strong in the UFDA class with an emphasis on mobility and special teams versatility.  A journeyman vet who can fill all three spots and a young special teams ace would be perfect for those slots, IMO.

Another way to answer the LB need would be to re-up Dennard &/or find another DB who is also a  solid tackler to replace a LB in one of the many passing packages.

I'm a "No" on grabbing a WR early (picks 2 thru 4) for the same reason i was a no  when I heard the Bengals were slobbering all over John Ross. It's a  luxury pick that I don't think the team can afford right now. The oline still stinks on ice (the improvement people saw at the end of the year wasn't exactly against a murderers row on defense) and the LBers are arguably worse.  If we could get a nice coverage LBer in the draft or free agency (cough cough)  do you think we would spend as much time in the nickle?

Burrow won't survive with the current line in front of him and a primo WR won't do a damn thing about that.

Dream scenario:

Trade Dalton for a third

1   Burrow

2   LB

3a OL

3b OL

4 thru 7  BPA

Or  trade Dalton for a third and trade down in the  2nd round for another 3rd.  Meh, that'll never happen.

Archived