The Rest of Our Draft Picks

Can't see them not re-upping AJ, tagging him or  trying a sign & trade deal at the very least.  Id he is extended, there is no reason to replace him, if he's traded for a premium pick, I more or less use that pick to replace him.  If he is tagged, I wait and use a 1st or 2nd in 2021 to select his replacement.  If I keep were to tag him and it doesn't look like the playoffs are in the cards I look to deal him at the deadline, then I look for a contender whose Super Bowl chances can be boosted by adding a top 5 WR and try to leverage that for a premium pick.

1 hour ago, gupps said:

I'm a "No" on grabbing a WR early (picks 2 thru 4) for the same reason i was a no  when I heard the Bengals were slobbering all over John Ross. It's a  luxury pick that I don't think the team can afford right now. The oline still stinks on ice (the improvement people saw at the end of the year wasn't exactly against a murderers row on defense) and the LBers are arguably worse.  If we could get a nice coverage LBer in the draft or free agency (cough cough)  do you think we would spend as much time in the nickle?

Burrow won't survive with the current line in front of him and a primo WR won't do a damn thing about that.

Dream scenario:

Trade Dalton for a third

1   Burrow

2   LB

3a OL

3b OL

4 thru 7  BPA

Or  trade Dalton for a third and trade down in the  2nd round for another 3rd.  Meh, that'll never happen.

My 2nd, 3rd & 4th picks are in large part determined by FA success.  IMO, the Bengals need OL and LB signing that are no more than half a step down from the market's elite at those positions.  If they can head into the draft with say, an OG (Schreff or Glasgow) and a LB (Littleton/Schobert/Martinez) in their pocket, it blows the draft wide open.

In that scenario my top position priorities would be CB & OL (an OG if they sign an OT, OT if they sign an OG).  I know, I know, BPA! BPA!  In this draft though I think there will be a good case to be made for a CB or OL as a BPA in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I'd probably look hard at CB, because the earlier you can get them in the draft the better.  With a deep class, you should be able to find a pretty solid OG or RT at the the top of the 3rd.  I'd really like to see them enter the raft with an extra 3rd rounder too to take a DT, Edge or LB as well.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:42 AM, crazycat said:

Cutting Dre automatically helps the "D"

Jackson MUST step up and be a #1 CB or we're in trouble.  I'd like to have Queze back as the 3rd/Slot CB and have no problem with Phillips as the 4th.  I would not shed a tear if they part ways with Dre, BUT...only if they can come up with a #2 CB in the draft or FA.  Unfortunately, if not, I think you have to at least go to camp with him and live with his intermittent stupidity.

2020 NFL Draft Rankings: Linebackers
  • Isaiah Simmons, Clemson (rJR, 6'4", 225 pounds) ...
  • Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma (JR, 6'2", 234 pounds) ...
  • Patrick Queen, LSU (JR, 6'1", 227 pounds) ...
  • Zack Baun, Wisconsin (rSR, 6'3", 240 pounds) ...
  • Troy Dye, Oregon (SR, 6'4", 226 pounds) ...
  • Malik Harrison, Ohio State (SR, 6'3", 246 pounds)

For Round Two, if Murray or Queen slide, it would be a toss up for be between the two.

Both may go in Round One is someone really likes Queen.  Not impossible.

The one guy in the draft who really fascinates me is S/LB hybrid Kyler Dugger from Whattsamatta U.

Would the Bengals reach for him in Round 2?  Esp if they trade down a bit?

Bengals are (in)famous for reaching.

Dunno...

Just PLEASE no wide receiver.

I'm not totally against drafting a WR, just using a premium pick on one. Now, I'm basing this on the assumption that the Bengals will do their usual (nothing) in free agency. If they do spend some $$$ on a a blue-chip FA or 2 ,  I'll  be a happy camper and won't complain about a 2nd round WR. I see better then I hear tho , to quote someone who's name escapes me.

What goals we should have reached with the draft

Keep Burrow upright

Open holes for Mixon (helps with the first one)

Find a LB who can ##$@^% cover a TE

19 hours ago, spicoli said:

Yeah I don't get the whole "WR is a luxury" mentality. We literally have one WR on this team right now that can be counted on. How is that a luxury exactly?

Take it you mean Boyd? I thought a couple of the other guys looked good in spots.  Did others get injured towards the end of the year? Have to admit I wasn't paying close attention.

If it means dumping Ross I wouldn't mind an early WR.  Getting a backup 6th WR instead of a backup LT would be infuriating.  So that's probably what they'll do.

If they trade AJ that would also make an early WR pick more reasonable.  Otherwise that's a lot of salary invested in one position group when they have such glaring needs everywhere else.

Archived