What would YOU do with AJ Green?

AJ Green Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Read the post. What would you do?

• Long term extension
    • Tag and keeo
    • Tag and trade

Was listening to Hear that Podcast Growlin' today (Athletic, Dehner and Morrison).  They talked about what they would do with AJ.  The options were long term extension, tag and keep or tag and trade for "pick 37".  So what would you do given those options?

IMO they should have traded him when they had the opportunity. Nothing against AJ at all, I love the guy but he's not worth paying him out as one of the top 3 WR's in the NFL. The last two years matter...regardless of how loyal you are. 

I guess he's still a good guy as a person, I don't know, but I think he quit on the team this year.  Send his ass packing.  Even if his injury was legitimately season-ending, what hope is there that he's going to suddenly become durable enough to play 16 games a year?  Give his spot to someone who's healthy and hungry.  I don't think he's either.

If he is 100% healthy and ready to give 100% effort I'm doing almost whatever it takes to bring back. 

Just imagine Burrow scrambling out with AJ bobbing and weaving his way open down the side.  

Omg!!!!!!  Please.  They deserve each other!!!

We need Eifert back too please.  

A healthy Green, Eifert, Tate and Ross with lil Stevie Young Burrow.  Please!! Give me some!! 

7 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

I guess he's still a good guy as a person, I don't know, but I think he quit on the team this year.  Send his ass packing.  Even if his injury was legitimately season-ending, what hope is there that he's going to suddenly become durable enough to play 16 games a year?  Give his spot to someone who's healthy and hungry.  I don't think he's either.

Pretty much this. If I didn’t feel he quit on the team this year, I’d want him to stay but just doesn’t seem to be the case. Aside from TBoyd though, our WR is a big question mark  

Sign him for a few years.

A Happy Green Makes a Happy Team.

Great intro to the NFL for Athens Joe and

although not really a "bridge wide receiver", could work out that way.

Extend Joe Mixon while they're at it.

Stability and lack of impending drama will

go a long way to improving this team.

10 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Give his spot to someone who's healthy and hungry.  

Yes please. Then apply that rule to the rest of our roster.  

People still talking about Eifert crack me up. He finally plays a full season & he looked broken or at best average. 2015 was a long time ago.

They need to quit coddling this collection of China teacups and bring in people ready to play.

Truth is unless we somehow end up with a dozen or more picks in the first 3 rounds or Taylor hires a Mike Brown impersonator to rubber stamp a very un-Bengalish free agency we're a long way from a competitive roster.

Lol @ this "quit on the team" rubbish. Did Boy Wonder tell him to suit up, and he said no? 

He was legit hurt...then not so much hurt...then parked for the season. This was the decision of the alleged HC and the folks above him.

As to the question: do all they can do to sign long-term. 

If they can get some value for Green, tag and trade. Need a first rounder or a package of second round picks.

On the other hand, the Bengals are going to have to spend that money on salaries anyway.  If they can't get a good package for Green you tag him and roll the dice.  A healthy Green makes a big difference for a QB.  The Bengals revolving door at WR with a bunch of athletes that really aren't any good at football is stale. 

AJ Green is a franchise great, no doubt. His last couple of years are extremely concerning however. Echoing previous statements, there are a lot of dependencies involved in making the "best" decision. 

If you set emotions aside and operate from a truly business standpoint, I think you tag n' trade him if there is fair return value there. I can't really speculate on what that is, I'm just saying we really need a guy with more availability.

On the other hand if you tag and keep, our new QB will have a guy who has proven to be an game changing weapon to work with. I think Green would sit out any organized activities and camp if tagged however, so he'd be losing valuable reps and repoire.

The long term extension (like what, three years?) is again really risky given the injury woes.

Personally...i say we tag him and see what happens. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him after that but I would love to see him in stripes for one more season, if anything to make up for last.

29 minutes ago, Griever said:

AJ Green is a franchise great, no doubt. His last couple of years are extremely concerning however. Echoing previous statements, there are a lot of dependencies involved in making the "best" decision. 

If you set emotions aside and operate from a truly business standpoint, I think you tag n' trade him if there is fair return value there. I can't really speculate on what that is, I'm just saying we really need a guy with more availability.

On the other hand if you tag and keep, our new QB will have a guy who has proven to be an game changing weapon to work with. I think Green would sit out any organized activities and camp if tagged however, so he'd be losing valuable reps and repoire.

The long term extension (like what, three years?) is again really risky given the injury woes.

Personally...i say we tag him and see what happens. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him after that but I would love to see him in stripes for one more season, if anything to make up for last.

This.

He must be tagged or sent on his way. He cannot be signed to a new deal, out of hand. It’s quite simply an extremely risky deal. Perhaps no guaranteed money? But, even then, he’s gonna command a lot of cash for a guy who has been more injured than not the last few seasons. 

I want to see AJ tagged, come back, have a baller season, stay healthy, and get a three year deal to send him off into the sunset as a Bengal.

If you tag him he will not report to camp until the very end.  Burrow needs to start throwing to his receivers like now, assuming he is pick #1.   Unless the plan is to tag and trade the tag should NOT be used. 

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If you tag him he will not report to camp until the very end.  Burrow needs to start throwing to his receivers like now, assuming he is pick #1.   Unless the plan is to tag and trade the tag should NOT be used. 

Good point. But Mikey always takes the easy route which will be sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and if he gets injured again, oh well, we tried our best. 

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And, you know this non-report to camp how exactly? 

(Troll-free question) 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I know he said he would skip OTAs, but said he wasn't sure about Training Camp. But if he does skip it; at least he won't suffer the world's worst sprained ankle again. As I said; the smart move is transition tag. Let him go out and find the best deal he can and we have the chance to match it. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Good point. But Mikey always takes the easy route which will be sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and if he gets injured again, oh well, we tried our best. 

Paraphrasing Tobin here "you can't predict injuries!"

Like when a guy has been hurt every season for the past 5 years and has reconstructed joints, there's just no way to tell.. All you can do is give him another million dollars and cross your fingers. Being a GM is hard!

Sign him long term.Assuming we draft Burrow,they would be a great combo,plus Green deserves it,he's earned it. The Bengals already have a lot of cap room and assuming they cut ties with Dalton,Dre,and possibly Glenn,they'll have tons. Don't make the same mistake they made with Whitworth. Pay the man.

Archived