What would YOU do with AJ Green?

AJ Green Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Read the post. What would you do?

• Long term extension
    • Tag and keeo
    • Tag and trade

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Assuming we're drafting Burrow, the focus of this offseason should be on making sure his career gets off to a good start. Having a healthy AJ Green would make that a lot easier. So, at a minimum, tag AJ and keep him for 2020. I'd offer him a 5 year deal for a stated value of 90 mil but with only about a 10 mil signing bonus and only the first year guaranteed. It would also be backloaded, and pay as you go so the team could get out of it after each season without great difficulty. Base salaries would be veteran minimum with the rest of the annual pay based on per game roster bonuses. So if AJ is healthy and productive, he'll see the whole 90 mil. If not, he'll get paid a lot less. Green's agent might not like that structure, but it's an above market rate for an often injured player who seems to be in decline.

it can no longer be assumed that AJ will be an asset to a young QB. maybe the money would be better spent of FAs such as:

Emmanuel Sanders

Randall Cobb

Demaryus Thomas

Amari Cooper is also available, but I want no part of him.

23 minutes ago, bfine said:

it can no longer be assumed that AJ will be an asset to a young QB. maybe the money would be better spent of FAs such as:

Emmanuel Sanders

Randall Cobb

Demaryus Thomas

Amari Cooper is also available, but I want no part of him.

I would rather they bring in a new guy that can grow with Joe..., you know. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Again the question is simple:  Is he healthy?  What kind of 40 time can he run now?  He hasn't played competitive football for 14 months due lower leg injuries.  There is no reason to sign him to a big contract based on hope.   No other team would offer him a contract without him working out for them first due to these injuries.   Antonio Brown had to work out for the clubs who were looking to sign him.

Good question. Yes, AJ should have to both pass a physical and do a workout before he is extended. Ideally before he is tagged but teams generally can't call players in during the offseason for things like that.

30 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I would rather they bring in a new guy that can grow with Joe..., you know. 

I'm fine with using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR. This is a deep class. We won't be picking up the 5th year option on Ross for 15 mil so this is probably his last year here. But we also shouldn't expect a rookie WR to replace a healthy AJ Green. 

The vet free agents are no great shakes. Thomas is broken down now.

30 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'm fine with using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR. This is a deep class. We won't be picking up the 5th year option on Ross for 15 mil so this is probably his last year here. But we also shouldn't expect a rookie WR to replace a healthy AJ Green. 

The vet free agents are no great shakes. Thomas is broken down now.

LOL, Ross is going to have a breakout year.   Then, after they pick up the 5th year option, his leg will fall off. 

14 hours ago, bfine said:

Agreed. That's why I listed other vets that have played the last couple years. FWIW, AJ was on IR for 1 week last year

He has missed 20 straight games.  The fact that the Bengals kept him on the active roster for the first 16 weeks is an indictment of the front office. 

9 hours ago, snarkster said:

Tag him and if no one will offer a #1 & #3, then let them have him for a #1 (or even a couple of #2's).

Unless it's been changed, once he's franchise tagged it's automatically 2 first round picks for another team to sign him.  Any other deal would require a contract to be in place.  Of course that still leaves the option of a 3-party deal where he effectively negotiates a new contract with another team but signs with the Bengals & is then immediately traded.  This seems more likely than 2 1st round picks for a WR that's barely touched the field in 2 years, but also more complicated to pull together.  I'm not sure our FO is interested in doing that much work.  Remember the trade deadline?

source.gif

"Look at all the fucks I give!"  - Katie Blackburn

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Remember the trade deadline?

source.gif

"Look at all the fucks I give!"  - Katie Blackburn

Come on man,Katie was  in Switzerland, not Austria.   Get your Aryan Alps filled countries correct. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Come on man,Katie was  in Switzerland, not Austria.   Get your Aryan Alps filled countries correct. 

Correct.  She was dealing with the Swiss banks straightening out the secret accounts

and checking on the art work in the Brown family vaults that disappeared from German

museums and flak towers in the final days of WWII.

6 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Tag and if he is healthy and still got it look at making a longer team deal.

If they haven’t changed the rules (and if I remember correctly), once he signs the tender, that money is guaranteed and he and the team can not negotiate a new contract until after the season.

6 hours ago, Cricket said:

If they haven’t changed the rules (and if I remember correctly), once he signs the tender, that money is guaranteed and he and the team can not negotiate a new contract until after the season.

Didn't they get burned and lose a draft choice or something for tagging Carl Prickins and then ... negotiating?  Trying to trade?  Something, something?

As far as A.J., pay the man.

Three year contract to keep him here and a veteran presence for Joe Burrow

and not see Blow Job Webb get his ass burned five times a game with A.J.

in a Squeeler or Clown jersey.

And to kill this zombie thread that simply won't die.

Archived