What would YOU do with AJ Green?

AJ Green Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Read the post. What would you do?

• Long term extension
    • Tag and keeo
    • Tag and trade

We should tag him first then see at mini-camp how well he's moving around and if he's back in form. If so, then sign him to a long term deal but with most of the pay based on per game roster bonuses.  If he doesn't look good at mini-camp or doesn't attend, then no long term deal for AJ.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Kid has played once in 20 games and in football terms, he is about to get his AARP card.

They go all in.  Sign the last big deal.  AJ is renewed with the New Kid.  They win three super bowls before he retires, and heads to canton. Bengal for life.

56 minutes ago, Jimmy D said:

They go all in.  Sign the last big deal.  AJ is renewed with the New Kid.  They win three super bowls before he retires, and heads to canton. Bengal for life.

Renewed?  He wasn't sitting on the bench because he was despondent and down in the dumps, he was on the bench with two lower leg injuries.

I may have changed my mind on this one.  If we're going to keep giving Eifert and Ross and Glenn and Hart &&& one more year, why not arguably the best player on the team?  At least he's been a consistently good player for most of his career, even if it's behind him now.

To put it a different way, I think he may have more value here than as an unknown for someone else.  If we're not cleaning house we may as well pay the man & come back to it later, depending on how the season goes for both him & our record.

Also wanted to add that a more accurate passer could help extend his career.  Andy could throw darts at times but not so much getting hit or on the run.  Suspect the repeated hand injuries are also a factor now. 

Big toe and ankle injuries are the kiss of death to wide receivers.

And he has one of those injuries on each foot.

They have to tag him and see how things play out.

My money says he will only play in 8-10 games this year.

Either way, I'm still drafting his replacement with the 33rd pick.

6 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

My money says he only play in 8-10 games this year.

Either way, I still drafting his replacement with the 33rd pick.

I tend to agree with you...

What type of receiver best suits their upcoming offense?

10 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I tend to agree with you...

What type of receiver best suits their upcoming offense?

I really like the kid from Colorado Laviska Shenault Jr.

He already has a pro WR body at 6'2" 220 lbs.

Great hands, nice speed and extremely physical.

Definitely built for the AFC North.

I don't think we need another speed guy.

We need WRs who can get open and catch the ball.

23 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I really like the kid from Colorado Laviska Shenault Jr.

He already has a pro WR body at 6'2" 220 lbs.

Great hands, nice speed and extremely physical.

Definitely built for the AFC North.

I don't think we need another speed guy.

We need WRs who can get open and catch the ball.

Agree..he may go late round ine or drop to us starting round two.

That would be ideal imo.

Would you pass on Patrick Queen for Shenault uf both were at two?

21 hours ago, SF2 said:

Renewed?  He wasn't sitting on the bench because he was despondent and down in the dumps, he was on the bench with two lower leg injuries.

Renewed in body and mind.  Recovery from injury and a positive (chipper) mental attitude.  When it's all in good order the guy is still a top tier talent.  

If you were the decision person - what would you do with him? 

18 hours ago, SmoothD said:

My money says he only play in 8-10 games this year.

Either way, I still drafting his replacement with the 33rd pick.

Ankle injuries are the kiss of death to offensive tackles.  Glenn's had several, hasn't played a full season since 2015 and only played in 6 games last year.  He will be back next year.

Everything injuries are the kiss of death at any position.  Eifert's held together with duct tape & hasn't been healthy since 2015.  Back surgeries, reconstructed joints.. He looked like a shell of himself & the team is scared to even play him.  He will be back next year.

Life-threatening chest injuries are the kiss of death for anyone.  Ross has had one of those on top of all the others & is an undersized guy in the NFL to begin with.  He has yet to post a healthy season here.  What playing time he's seen has been entirely inconsistent.  He will be back next year.

Someone explain to me why playing time and injuries are suddenly a concern when it's our franchise All-Pro WR?  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Ankle injuries are the kiss of death to offensive tackles.  Glenn's had several, hasn't played a full season since 2015 and only played in 6 games last year.  He will be back next year.

Everything injuries are the kiss of death at any position.  Eifert's held together with duct tape & hasn't been healthy since 2015.  Back surgeries, reconstructed joints.. He looked like a shell of himself & the team is scared to even play him.  He will be back next year.

Life-threatening chest injuries are the kiss of death for anyone.  Ross has had one of those on top of all the others & is an undersized guy in the NFL to begin with.  He has yet to post a healthy season here.  What playing time he's seen has been entirely inconsistent.  He will be back next year.

Someone explain to me why playing time and injuries are suddenly a concern when it's our franchise All-Pro WR?  

Correct me if I am wrong but who here has said we needed to resign Eifert to anything more than a purely incentive laden contract?  As far as Glenn is concerned, he hasn’t been up for a new contract yet and Ross has already been paid for.  

I think everyone thinks Ross is a bust and Glenn is either fragile or simply gaming the Bengals.  Most expect Glenn to be shopped or released.  You seem to be arguing with people who don’t exist. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy D said:

Renewed in body and mind.  Recovery from injury and a positive (chipper) mental attitude.  When it's all in good order the guy is still a top tier talent.  

If you were the decision person - what would you do with him? 

I thought we should have traded him before the deadline last year.  That day has passed.  There is NO way I give him a big long term deal without being positive he is 100% heathy and fit.  Of course, I have no idea what is going on in the FO and with AJ so I am just throwing spaghetti against the wall.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I thought we should have traded him before the deadline last year.  That day has passed.  There is NO way I give him a big long term deal without being positive he is 100% heathy and fit.  Of course, I have no idea what is going on in the FO and with AJ so I am just throwing spaghetti against the wall.

Lets say he's fit and raring to go.  You know this, then what do you do?  

2 hours ago, Jimmy D said:

Lets say he's fit and raring to go.  You know this, then what do you do?  

Try to sign him to a reasonable deal preferably front loaded so if he breaks down the Bengals can move on in a few years.  If he is healthy and 2015 version he would be a great asset to a new QB but my experience with such injuries is he will be a step slower than before.  Still could be an indispensable player ala Anquan Bolden. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

We shouldn't frontload a deal for a player with injury questions. It should be backloaded so if he doesn't get back to full speed, we can exit with the least cost possible. 

The problem with back loading the deal is that it would hurt them for the next 2-3 years, if he gets hurt early in the deal

That's why I say tagging him this year is pretty much the only solution

2 hours ago, SmoothD said:

The problem with back loading the deal is that it would hurt them for the next 2-3 years, if he gets hurt early in the deal

That's why I say tagging him this year is pretty much the only solution

Only if the out-year salaries were guaranteed, which they won't be. Both team and AJ should be willing to agree to a structure like this:

5 years, 100 mil, 15 mil guaranteed.

Signing bonus of 15 mil

Salaries each year of 1 mil. 16 mil in per game active roster bonuses.

Cap hit of 20 mil if he plays every game, saving 1 mil per game missed.

If he obviously can't play at a high level, the team could cut him after year 1 and take 12 mil in dead money while saving 8 mil in cap space. 

If he plays at a high level but misses games with injuries, say 4 games per year, then his cap hit would drop from 20 mil to 16 mil per year. 

The per game active bonuses could be dialed back from 1 mil per game to say 750K but the basic structure would be along these lines. 

25 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Only if the out-year salaries were guaranteed, which they won't be. Both team and AJ should be willing to agree to a structure like this:

Signing bonus of 15 mil

If he obviously can't play at a high level, the team could cut him after year 1 and take 12 mil in dead money while saving 8 mil in cap space. 

If he plays at a high level but misses games with injuries, say 4 games per year, then his cap hit would drop from 20 mil to 16 mil per year. 

The per game active bonuses could be dialed back from 1 mil per game to say 750K but the basic structure would be along these lines. 

5 years?

Whew, I dunno, man. I was thinking three years sounded about in the ballpark.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, SF2 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but who here has said we needed to resign Eifert to anything more than a purely incentive laden contract?  As far as Glenn is concerned, he hasn’t been up for a new contract yet and Ross has already been paid for.  

I think everyone thinks Ross is a bust and Glenn is either fragile or simply gaming the Bengals.  Most expect Glenn to be shopped or released.  You seem to be arguing with people who don’t exist. 

I might wish the Bengals FO didn't exist but I assure you they are real and I'd bet on that being their decision making process.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Signing bonus of 15 mil

I can almost guarantee they ain't signing him for 5 more years.

If that what he wants, they have to let him go.

Archived