What would YOU do with AJ Green?

AJ Green Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Read the post. What would you do?

• Long term extension
    • Tag and keeo
    • Tag and trade

14 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I can almost guarantee they ain't signing him for 5 more years.

If that what he wants, they have to let him go.

Agree...i think taggin him and hoping he plays hard instead of a pissy attitude and 

playing soft is on their minds..

Hed be a huge cap figure to go but they have to find a receiver good enough to take his place this year..

You guys are missing the point on the proposed 5 year deal for AJ. They don't have to keep him for 5 years, it's pay as you go. They can exit after any season and gain cap space. That's the sort of structure they should give him. He wants a multi-year deal. Fine, but the team shouldn't be locked into it. If he's healthy and still playing at a high level, he can earn every penny in the contract. If he's not healthy now or can't stay healthy, the team can cut ties without being hamstrung. 

25 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Bengals plan to use franchise tag on receiver A.J. Green

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28815686/bengals-plan-use-franchise-tag-receiver-aj-green

To me, this is the most logical thing to do.

They have to see if he is healthy enough to play the whole season.

Only thing is that he will valuable OTA time with his new QB

1 minute ago, SmoothD said:

To me, this is the most logical thing to do.

They have to see if he is healthy enough to play the whole season.

Only thing is that he will valuable OTA time with his new QB

Im thinking anywhere from 8 to 12 games so ges being paid ..

He also received 15 mil last year and didnt play a snap..

48 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Im thinking anywhere from 8 to 12 games so ges being paid ..

He also received 15 mil last year and didnt play a snap..

A lot of people seem to forget this part.

And if I'm not mistaken, this is the main reason he didn't go on IR.

To receive his full salary.

So, technically he will receive 33 million for one year's worth of play.

And that's a big IF, pending on whether or not he plays the full 2020 season.

If someone can find the language about being on the IR and salaries being paid, I'd be very grateful 🙂

1 hour ago, SmoothD said:

A lot of people seem to forget this part.

And if I'm not mistaken, this is the main reason he didn't go on IR.

To receive his full salary.

So, technically he will receive 33 million for one year's worth of play.

And that's a big IF, pending on whether or not he plays the full 2020 season.

If someone can find the language about being on the IR and salaries being paid, I'd be very grateful 🙂

The pay for a franchise-tagged player is fully guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

The pay for a franchise-tagged player is fully guaranteed.

I know. 

I was including his last year's salary which was 11.2 million.

Not the 15 million that Old Schooler posted.

So actually he will receive 30 million for one year's work (2020).

Don't think the Bengals didn't take this into consideration when they put the tag on him.

Now the real question is, will the Bengals still sign him to a 3 year deal at market value, next year,  if he is healthy?

My answer is, probably not

3 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I know. 

Don't think the Bengals didn't take this into consideration when they put the tag on him.

Now the real question is, will the Bengals still sign him to a 3 year deal at market value, next year,  if he is healthy?

Seriously..i dont either unless he stays fully health this season and puts up somr probowl numbers..

I dont want to see a half broken down receiver thats declining quickly..ala Eiffert imo...

5 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I know. 

I thought he was looking for a 5 year deal, which with his injury history is crazy. But 3 or 5, I guess it all comes down to how it's structured.

Either way, not sure how much I invest in an often injured superstar when I'm in rebuilding mode.

I just want AJ to develop as much chemistry as possible with Burrow before the season starts.That means plenty of practice reps. AJ on the field makes the Bengals a better team, no doubt.

Echoing previous statements however, the dude has been a great pro since entering the league. He's what, 32 now? Perhaps avoiding all the OTAs and whatnot could be looked at as injury avoidance... Just gotta trust he gets up to speed quickly.

2 hours ago, Griever said:

I just want AJ to develop as much chemistry as possible with Burrow before the season starts.That means plenty of practice reps. AJ on the field makes the Bengals a better team, no doubt.

Echoing previous statements however, the dude has been a great pro since entering the league. He's what, 32 now? Perhaps avoiding all the OTAs and whatnot could be looked at as injury avoidance... Just gotta trust he gets up to speed quickly.

Unfortunately that's where I see this going, AJ holds out due to injury concern missing valuable time with JB and his introduction to the team. 

Such is today's NFL I guess.

Unless someone wants Green really bad, I say tag him and see if his body can hold up and he can still play.  The Bengals have paid him a lot of money over the past few years for a part time player.  They don't owe him anything, IMO.

I'm sure Green's agent wants to lock up as much money as he can.  He's smart enough to know that Green may never be the player he was in the past.

29 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Unless someone wants Green really bad, I say tag him and see if his body can hold up and he can still play.  The Bengals have paid him a lot of money over the past few years for a part time player.  They don't owe him anything, IMO.

Well.. They now owe him around $18.5 million* with the franchise tag.  I've seen people say that's guaranteed while other sources mention an injury clause?  

@AmishBengalFan

[that $18.5M is likely to increase as the other FA WR's sign their deals]

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Well.. They now owe him around $18.5 million* with the franchise tag.  I've seen people say that's guaranteed while other sources mention an injury clause?  

@AmishBengalFan

Franchise tenders are fully guaranteed once signed. If AJ declines to sign the tender, the team could revoke it and make him a free agent. That would clear the 18.5 mil in cap space. 

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Franchise tenders are fully guaranteed once signed. If AJ declines to sign the tender, the team could revoke it and make him a free agent. That would clear the 18.5 mil in cap space. 

The "exclusive" franchise tag gives the offering team exclusive rights to the player. The player may sign his one-year franchise offer, at which point it becomes fully guaranteed (unless the player fails to stay physically fit).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1960713-how-the-nfl-franchise-tag-process-works

FWIW I thought it was flatly guaranteed myself.  Bleacher Report is ehhh..

26 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

@AmishBengalFan

My point was that they don't owe Green a long term deal.  He has been fairly compensated for his services to date.

16 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

My point was that they don't owe Green a long term deal.  He has been fairly compensated for his services to date.

Correct. Now apply that to the rest of our roster!  

Still we do owe him $20M that could be better spent elsewhere.  If that's really guaranteed I hope it's with a trade in mind.  The team's been without him for a couple of years anyway & the roster needs help all over. We've got a pretty good group of WR's, draft a couple fast dudes & quit counting on Ross.  E Z.

Guess now we'll see if AJ signs the tender.

39 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1960713-how-the-nfl-franchise-tag-process-works

FWIW I thought it was flatly guaranteed myself.  Bleacher Report is ehhh..

(c) If a player subject to a Franchise Player designation accepts the Required Tender, the resulting Player Contract shall be fully guaranteed if the player’s contract is

terminated because of lack of comparative skill; as a result of an injury sustained in the performance of his services under his Player Contract; and/or due to a Club’s determination to create Room for Salary Cap purposes. For purposes of this Subsection only, any contract termination due to the failure of the player to establish or maintain his excellent
physical condition will be subject to review of a neutral physician appointed by the parties, whose physical findings will be conclusive in any arbitration proceeding relating to
the physical condition of the player at the time of the exam, provided that such exam takes place within twenty (20) days of the contract termination.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Basically a team has protection if a player "fakes" injury.

WTS, understand all the current rules are about to be thrown out the window with the signing of the new CBA.

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Correct. Now apply that to the rest of our roster!  

Still we do owe him $20M that could be better spent elsewhere.  If that's really guaranteed I hope it's with a trade in mind.  The team's been without him for a couple of years anyway & the roster needs help all over. We've got a pretty good group of WR's, draft a couple fast dudes & quit counting on Ross.  E Z.

Guess now we'll see if AJ signs the tender.

Meh...there is a chance that Green does return to form.  I think the tag is worth it in the short term.  If you dump Green and Dalton that's close to $30M.  Isn't there some kind of minimum amount they have to spend?  Don't try to sell me on free agents.  Those guys are only coming here if they are vastly overpaid, and many will still take less to play for an organization that is thought to be a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's official:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/03/16/nfl-free-agency-cincinnati-bengals-apply-franchise-tag-aj-green-afc-north-Stealers-ravens-browns/5056102002/

Cincinnati Bengals apply NFL franchise tag to wide receiver A.J. Green

Archived