Bengal bum Alex "Linus" Van Pelt moving to the Clowns

The Cleveland Browns are hiring Cincinnati Bengals quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt as offensive coordinator, a source told ESPN.

Van Pelt spent the past two seasons with the Bengals. Before that, he was an assistant with the Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Buffalo Bills. He was the Bills' interim offensive coordinator in 2009.

Van Pelt spent his two seasons in Cincinnati under two different head coaches. After Marvin Lewis and the Bengals parted ways after the 2018 season, he was retained by the offensive-minded Zac Taylor, who praised Van Pelt throughout the season.

"He is, in a sense, a veteran at the position," Taylor said in December.

Van Pelt played quarterback for 11 seasons in the NFL, with the Pittsburgh Stealers, Kansas City Chiefs and Bills.

In addition to his years coaching in the league, Van Pelt's time playing quarterback was considered a huge asset when it came to grooming inexperienced QBs.

16 minutes ago, bfine said:

We don't need a HS football coach we need a NFL QB coach. Kitna has done a fine job at that task

When/where has Kitna been an NFL QB coach? I haven't exactly been keeping up with him.

I see he's been working with Prescott in Dallas.  Still not interested. 

27 minutes ago, Cat said:

Didn't do much for Klingler. And I say that as a huge Kenny fan.

I thought Van Pelt was supposed to be the shit?

I thought so too...but I guess it's a big promotion for him?  Cleveland though?...ACK!!!

13 hours ago, Jason said:

Hearing Dan Pitcher is expected to be promoted to the job.

Done....

Cincinnati Bengals coach Dan Pitcher has received a promotion.

The Bengals announced on Thursday that Pitcher has been elevated to quarterbacks coach. Pitcher is replacing Alex Van Pelt, who accepted a job to become the Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator.

Western Kentucky University wide receiver Taywan Taylor, left, listens to Cincinnati Bengals assistant receivers coach Dan Pitcher as he discussed pass route concepts on April 6, 2017.

Western Kentucky University wide receiver Taywan Taylor, left, listens to Cincinnati Bengals assistant receivers coach Dan Pitcher as he discussed pass route concepts on April 6, 2017. (Photo: Sam Upshaw Jr./C-J)

Pitcher’s been an offensive assistant coach with the Bengals since 2016. He was the assistant quarterbacks coach last season.

Before coming to Cincinnati, Pitcher spent four seasons in player personnel with the Indianapolis Colts.

Pitcher was a quarterback at SUNY Courtland from 2008-11.

“I am excited to promote Dan to quarterbacks coach,” Bengals coach Zac Taylor said in a team statement. “Dan is a rising star who has demonstrated that he has a bright future as he continues to take on more responsibility.”

Archived