1. 1. Do you hate the 49ers?

• I’m old enough to remember the SB losses and yes
    • I used to but now neutral
    • I used to but now like them
    • I never hated them
    • I’m not old enough but I hate them for it anyway
    • I’m not old enough and don’t hate them
  2. 2. Who are you rooting for Sunday

It's not even just the two losses in the Super Bowl. There were a few heart-crushing last second losses to that team during the regular season. One specifically in 1987 at Riverfront may have been The Bengals most demoralizing regular season loss ever.

Montana to Rice on literally the last play of the game... I know some folks here will remember that game..

14 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

It's not even just the two losses in the Super Bowl. There were a few heart-crushing last second losses to that team during the regular season. One specifically in 1987 at Riverfront may have been The Bengals most demoralizing regular season loss ever.

Montana to Rice on literally the last play of the game... I know some folks here will remember that game..

Yep. 

I hated SF for beating us all those years ago, sure.  But for whatever reason, that hate has tempered and the current 49'ers just seem like a different team with little ties back to their predecessors.  Part of that is due to the fact that they were a dynasty back then and I don't like the "Goliaths"...but they haven't been that for some time now.  By contrast, the Stealers are, and will always be hated in my mind.

As far as who I will be rooting for, I don't have a favorite really.  I have many pro's and con's.  I like offense so that points me to KC, but I'm not a MyHomie fan...also generally not a fan of the newer, arrogant QB stereotype.  SF has impressed, but other than Kittles, they are not very exciting to me, and contrary to what I said earlier, there is still *some* lingering reminders to SuperBowl.  So...I say either...I just hope it's a good game.

2 hours ago, BENGALS666 said:

Yes.  The Bengals showed a new level of ineptitude in being unable to run out the clock.  When Norman immediately took a knee on first down, I told the guy with me that there would still be time left on the clock.   Trying to run out the clock with just a few seconds left blew up in their face with a fantastic defensive play (should have tried that play on first down, second down, and third down). 

One thing that I mostly recall from that was that it was so quiet as people left he stadium.  Everyone was in shock.  It was surreal.

I hate that they beat us twice in the Superbowl and disliked Kaepernick so much I actually rooted for the Raven's a couple years back. 

WTS, I'd love for them to tie the Stealers and Pats for most Superbowl wins; as I dislike those franchises more. 

3 hours ago, BENGALS666 said:

I will never forget that game... I was a kid, but that is when I started to realize Bengals doing Bengals things.

and I don't hate them anymore.. the stealers, clowns and cowboys use up all of my hate... 

I was 3 in 88 so no hate here. I want to believe had the Bengals won one of those games that they'd be an entirely different franchise now. I don't really care who wins but my step dad is a huge 9er fan so that'd be kind of cool for him. Also I went to the San Fran game this year and met a bunch of 9er fans and they were all really cool.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

This is primarily directed at those old enough to remember XVI and XXIII, but all are welcome to participate. 

Can't say I hate the 49ers (or anyone else) but I still strongly dislike some of the players like Joe Montana and

Steve "Bail Out" young.  Throw in David Verser for going in motion on the goal like drawing the D into the hole

where Pete Johnson had a walk-in touchdown and getting him stuffed, a rarity in itself.

And the refs... 

However, I have been a life long Up With People fan ever since.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Throw in David Verser for going in motion on the goal like drawing the D into the hole

where Pete Johnson had a walk-in touchdown and getting him stuffed, a rarity in itself.

Sounds like the thing Bratfailski liked to do with Housh to make sure the defense knew exactly where Rudi was headed.  Sure with we could find an OC that didn't consistently outsmart themselves.

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Can't say I hate the 49ers (or anyone else) but I still strongly dislike some of the players like Joe Montana and

Steve "Bail Out" young.  Throw in David Verser for going in motion on the goal like drawing the D into the hole

And the refs... 

However, I have been a life long Up With People fan ever since.

This. I stopped hating them when all of the players and coaches from those 2 Super Bowls were gone.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:40 PM, thezerawkid said:

Long since have I had the hatred replaced by the Stealers and Ravens.

Same... I live in Sacramento which is 49er country (hour or two from SF) and the whole reason for liking the Bengals is because the first superbowl I remember watching was in 1981 against the 49ers and since then I loved the Bengals. I was like 5 years old and cried when they lost. And again when I was in junior high during the second superbowl I cried (but only to myself lol). Such close games. Both of them. 

Now I don't care. When they got Garoppolo I told my dad that they just got the savior of the team. I told him that Garoppolo doesn't put out stats like some of the super QBs, but his teams always find a way to win no matter what. It's a really weird thing with Garoppolo. You can give SF some middle of the road QB statwise and they will win 5 games. Then get a guy like  Garoppolo who puts up similar stats and he wins 13 games. He has the x factor. 

Unlike the Stillers, the 49ers didn't cheat to win so I can't hate them

Bengals choked in SB 16

They overdosed, dropped an INT, and Boomer sucked ass (people forget this) in SB 23.

I prefer other teams to be as miserable as the Bengals.

KC, NY Jets, and Miami all won super bowls but nothing since I have followed sports (1984) so it doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

Hope for continued misery for KC, NYJ, Miami, Cleveburg, Detroit, SD, Atlanta

22 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Sounds like the thing Bratfailski liked to do with Housh to make sure the defense knew exactly where Rudi was headed.  Sure with we could find an OC that didn't consistently outsmart themselves.

I also put a lion's share of the blame on Kenny Anderson for not calling a time out when he saw Verser did not

know the play and was screwing it up.  Not even sure why Verser was on the field but what do I know?

As for the refs, the piling on call on Jim LeClaire when he was pushed into the pile by a Fourty Slimer.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:58 PM, BENGALS666 said:

Fake hail mary.  Bengals left Rice one on one.  That was after Wyche tried to go for it on fourth down instead of punting leaving a short field.  That was a loss totally on the coaches.

Yeah, I remember.

Archived