Backup QB

Backup 2020  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Backup 2020

Let's face it; the card is already turned in with Burrow's name on it. So the question is: What do we do at backup in 2020.We basically have 4 choices.

A. Keep Andy and let him show Joe the ropes

B. Part ways with Andy and roll with Finley

C. Part ways with Andy and pick up a cheaper vet like Matt Moore

D. Part ways with Andy and draft a mid-rounder like Shea Patterson

It depends upon Dalton.  If he's willing to stay and help train Burrow, keep him.  If Dalton doesn't want to do it he will just be a distraction.  In that case trade Dalton if you can, but most likely you will have to just waive him.  Other teams will know you don't want him and will wait for him to hit the waiver wire.

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

No way Dalton stays if Burrow is picked.  How about Mariota?

What is Mariota going to teach Burrow?  Duck and run?  Mariota probably still thinks he should start.  Need an older vet who may be short on skills, but long on understanding the position.  Fitzpatrick would be great, but sounds like he wants to stay in Miami. 

18 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

What is Mariota going to teach Burrow?  Duck and run?  Mariota probably still thinks he should start.  Need an older vet who may be short on skills, but long on understanding the position.  Fitzpatrick would be great, but sounds like he wants to stay in Miami. 

Every QB thinks they should still start.  

5 minutes ago, bfine said:

Then why not just keep Andy as the back up; if every other QB wants to start as well? Do you think Andy will handle it less professionally than most?

Because we don’t want to pay him obviously.  Burrow will be the #1 pick at around 7-10mil in cap depending on how the Bengals structure it.  Dalton would cost $17.7 mil. 

20 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Every QB thinks they should still start.  

Yes, but a guy like Fitzpatrick has been around a long time and knows his role.  His career is coming to an end.  Miami will be bringing in a young QB as well.  Dalton made things pretty clear last season when he got benched, and his price tag is too high for a back-up/mentor. 

19 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We should sign a vet with prior starting experience. Guys like Chad Henne,. Matt Moore, Josh McCown, Colt McCoy, and Case Keenum are on the market this year and won't cost much. The 17 mil we save from Dalton will pay for Green's tag. 

I can see getting Keemun.  The rest of the guys either suck or are too old. 

57 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Because we don’t want to pay him obviously.  Burrow will be the #1 pick at around 7-10mil in cap depending on how the Bengals structure it.  Dalton would cost $17.7 mil. 

I would consider it an investment in the future. Who better to mentor Burrow in Cincy than Andy? And if that costs a little extra for one year, so be it. if all works as planned Joe will be here for about 15ish years. I'd like to give him every asset available to get off to the best start possible. Folks that say "free up the money" so we can spend it elsewhere really haven't been following this organization very long. We invest in what we have.

40 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We should sign a vet with prior starting experience. Guys like Chad Henne,. Matt Moore, Josh McCown, Colt McCoy, and Case Keenum are on the market this year and won't cost much. The 17 mil we save from Dalton will pay for Green's tag. 

Well it wouldn't be an entire $17 mil savings as I'g guess one of those folks would want some compensation for their services.

30 minutes ago, bfine said:

I would consider it an investment in the future. Who better to mentor Burrow in Cincy than Andy? And if that costs a little extra for one year, so be it. if all works as planned Joe will be here for about 15ish years. I'd like to give him every asset available to get off to the best start possible. Folks that say "free up the money" so we can spend it elsewhere really haven't been following this organization very long. We invest in what we have.

Someone that wants to?  Andy made it pretty clear when they started Finley that he wanted to be traded so he could play.  Not a signal that a guy is interested in mentoring a #1 pick to take his job.  $17M is a lot to pay for a backup who isn't happy.

42 minutes ago, bfine said:

I doubt Dalton wants to stay and train his replacement.  I doubt he blames himself for the team’s lack of wins the last 3 years either and he wouldn’t be wrong. 

The club has yet to find legitimate and reliable replacements for Zeitler and Whitworth 3 years after the fact and the defense is one of the worst in the league.  

Overall the last 5 drafts have been a disaster. The first round picks have been busts or were hurt.   William Jackson is OK but nothing special. So 1 OK player out of 5. Mixon, Boyd, Hubbard and Billings is pretty much it. Tate in the 7th round is probably the 5th. 

52 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Overall the last 5 drafts have been a disaster. The first round picks have been busts or were hurt.   William Jackson is OK but nothing special. So 1 OK player out of 5. Mixon, Boyd, Hubbard and Billings is pretty much it. Tate in the 7th round is probably the 5th. 

Mikey would just say we had a run of bad luck in the drafts.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Someone that wants to?  Andy made it pretty clear when they started Finley that he wanted to be traded so he could play.  Not a signal that a guy is interested in mentoring a #1 pick to take his job.  $17M is a lot to pay for a backup who isn't happy.

Not sure we should run the organization in accordance with what Andy wants.

13 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

That's not really the point.  A guy who wants to either start or get out isn't going to be much of a mentor to a rookie QB. 

And it won’t help Burrow much if he is trying to become the leader of the team with the 9 year starter still in the lock room.  Clean break. This isn’t Boomer coming in for a 35 year old Kenny Anderson.  This is Andy being told you are no longer good enough to be our QB. 

Archived