Backup QB

Backup 2020  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Backup 2020

37 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

That's not really the point.  A guy who wants to either start or get out isn't going to be much of a mentor to a rookie QB. 

We might be underestimating Andy's character. As mentioned earlier every QB wants to start. My desire is to find a team silly enough to offer us something of value for Andy, but short of that let him be one of the better backups in the NFL while he mentors the rookie. I'm not interested in putting additional money in Mikey's bank account so he can leave it to Pumpkin.

17 hours ago, Cricket said:

If we aren’t offered much for Andy in a trade, then keep him as the backup.

I still think that Dolegala may prove to be an effective QB.

I agree on both points. I have no idea why we didn't get Talladega some game time reps last year. if you think enough about the kid to keep him on the 53 then you should see what you got when you currently have the worst starting QB in the NFL and your backup didn't look any better.

59 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

What other team wants Dalton as their starter?

Desperate ones who have garbage there now.  I mean, lately the talking heads seem to be implying any negative play from Dalton was "because Bengals" (as a way to claim the same will happen to Burrow), so he is probably a superstar just waiting for the right team, you know?  :ninja:

4 hours ago, bfine said:

I can think of 8 off the top of my head:

https://www.xfl.com/

Indy, LA Chargers, Carolina, Chicago, ,Jaxsonville and Tampa in that order.  I think Indy would be an obvious choice, Brissett isn't good but their team is REALLY good.  A game manager might work well for them considering they have an excellent coach who gets the most out of his QB.

34 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Indy, LA Chargers, Carolina, Chicago, ,Jaxsonville and Tampa in that order.  I think Indy would be an obvious choice, Brissett isn't good but their team is REALLY good.  A game manager might work well for them considering they have an excellent coach who gets the most out of his QB.

Chicago has committed to Mitch and moved on from the OC instead of the QB

JAX had the highest rated rookie QB in the NFL last year

TB: I think they'll give Winston one more year in Arian's offense to grasp his offense. Yards and TDs were off the charts; they'll work to lower INTs. If not they roll with Rivers

Carolina: IF they part with Cam no way are they going to settle for a QB from the same draft class that is less talented

Indy and LA could be a maybe. Provided they want to trade for Andy instead of getting Rivers, Bridgewater, or Mariota ect...for free.

2 hours ago, bfine said:

Chicago has committed to Mitch and moved on from the OC instead of the QB

JAX had the highest rated rookie QB in the NFL last year

TB: I think they'll give Winston one more year in Arian's offense to grasp his offense. Yards and TDs were off the charts; they'll work to lower INTs. If not they roll with Rivers

Carolina: IF they part with Cam no way are they going to settle for a QB from the same draft class that is less talented

Indy and LA could be a maybe. Provided they want to trade for Andy instead of getting Rivers, Bridgewater, or Mariota ect...for free.

Well, I put them in order for a reason.  Indy then the Chargers were 1 and 2.   Rivers is done in San Diego err Los Angeles and would not sign for cheap.    Bridgewater only threw for 153 yards a game, that just doesn't work long term in the NFL.  Mariota has the same problem although not as bad.   We should get Mariota since it would save the club quite a bit of money. 

I doubt Dalton stays if they decide to take Burrow.  Not because he would be a problem, but he makes too much to be a backup and trading him for something decent helps the team more overall.  That said, Finley doesn't exactly make me feel confident as a backup.  Maybe Dolegala can outplay him this offseason and preseason to win the job.  Otherwise it's probably going to be a vet who has worked with Taylor or Callahan previously. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Well, I put them in order for a reason.  Indy then the Chargers were 1 and 2.   Rivers is done in San Diego err Los Angeles and would not sign for cheap.    Bridgewater only threw for 153 yards a game, that just doesn't work long term in the NFL.  Mariota has the same problem although not as bad.   We should get Mariota since it would save the club quite a bit of money. 

Indy's really the only option as LA is opening a new stadium and "we signed Andy Dalton" isn't going to sale a lot of tickets. They'll take the top 3 QB that we and the Fins don't. And as I said Andy's really only an option there if the Colts think it's better to trade for Andy than to sign a younger QB for free; hell they might take Jordan Love, I'd imagine Reich would like a new QB to mold. 

9 hours ago, bfine said:

Indy's really the only option as LA is opening a new stadium and "we signed Andy Dalton" isn't going to sale a lot of tickets. They'll take the top 3 QB that we and the Fins don't. And as I said Andy's really only an option there if the Colts think it's better to trade for Andy than to sign a younger QB for free; hell they might take Jordan Love, I'd imagine Reich would like a new QB to mold. 

To be honest, the only thing that might help the Chargers is winning.  The city barely supported the Raiders who actually won a Super Bowl there.  Probably the worst pro sports decision ever was moving to LA.  St Louis would have welcomed them with open arms, in LA they play 16 away games every year. 43 year old Tom Brady has zero to gain playing there other than a nice payday 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

To be honest, the only thing that might help the Chargers is winning.  The city barely supported the Raiders who actually won a Super Bowl there.  Probably the worst pro sports decision ever was moving to LA.  St Louis would have welcomed them with open arms, in LA they play 16 away games every year. 43 year old Tom Brady has zero to gain playing there other than a nice payday 

Not sure how things are going to play out with that stadium, but Jerry Jones big stadium brings in huge dollars for the Cowboys franchise.  I think the LA stadium will be very similar.  That may be reason enough.  San Diego showed no interest in building a new facility, so off they go.  As we see with the Bengals, Jacksonville, and other teams you can make $$ in the NFL without filling the stadium, but the big dollar teams fill those luxury boxes. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Not sure how things are going to play out with that stadium, but Jerry Jones big stadium brings in huge dollars for the Cowboys franchise.  I think the LA stadium will be very similar.  That may be reason enough.  San Diego showed no interest in building a new facility, so off they go.  As we see with the Bengals, Jacksonville, and other teams you can make $$ in the NFL without filling the stadium, but the big dollar teams fill those luxury boxes. 

Dallas is in Texas which is a crazed football state.   The Cowboys own that town.  The Rangers, Mavericks, Stars and SMU are not even a close 2nd.  Brady to Dallas would be crazy. 

The Chargers are probably the 6th or 7th most important team in LA?  Actually, due to the Hispanic population, the two soccer teams are probably bigger draws.   Absolutely nobody cares about that team in LA and Tom Brady showing up would do little

1. Trade Dalton if you can get a 3rd Rd pick or better (or decent NFL player) for him & sign a decent vet to push Burrow or back him. up (Bridgewater would be nice, if unlikely).

2. Keep Dalton as a mentor/backup and let him walk for (hopefully) a comp pick.

Finley is no NFL QB, let him go.  Keep Dolegala as a 3rd QB for his potential (maybe the main backup by 2021).

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Dallas is in Texas which is a crazed football state.   The Cowboys own that town.  The Rangers, Mavericks, Stars and SMU are not even a close 2nd.  Brady to Dallas would be crazy. 

The Chargers are probably the 6th or 7th most important team in LA?  Actually, due to the Hispanic population, the two soccer teams are probably bigger draws.   Absolutely nobody cares about that team in LA and Tom Brady showing up would do little

You don't need to dominate in a town as big as LA.  They just need to fill up the luxury suites and there are enough big wigs in LA to do that many times  over.   Brady would make an immediate splash, but they should be able to drive revenue with that stadium without him.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

You don't need to dominate in a town as big as LA.  They just need to fill up the luxury suites and there are enough big wigs in LA to do that many times  over.   Brady would make an immediate splash, but they should be able to drive revenue with that stadium without him.

LOL, big whigs pay money to be seen at the right place.  Nobody in LA is going to spend big money to be seen at a Chargers game.  It took 3 decades for people to finally NOTICE the Clippers and even that is suspect.   Will they make money?  Sure.  Will anyone care about them?  Nah.  

I probably see 1000 Lakers Jerseys to every Chargers and that was before Kobe died.  Probably 20 to 1 Rams v Chargers. I don’t think I have seen anyone wearing one this year.   

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

LOL, big whigs pay money to be seen at the right place.  Nobody in LA is going to spend big money to be seen at a Chargers game.  It took 3 decades for people to finally NOTICE the Clippers and even that is suspect.   Will they make money?  Sure.  Will anyone care about them?  Nah.  

I probably see 1000 Lakers Jerseys to every Chargers and that was before Kobe died.  Probably 20 to 1 Rams v Chargers. I don’t think I have seen anyone wearing one this year.   

This is about "will they make money" not "will anyone care."  If the place is as big and nice as it is supposed to be people will come.  Beats a shitty old stadium in SD any day.

27 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

This is about "will they make money" not "will anyone care."  If the place is as big and nice as it is supposed to be people will come.  Beats a shitty old stadium in SD any day.

If money is the only consideration, sure.  Most of these owners have huge egos,  want to win, and be relevant.  The Chargers like the Bengals are not relevant and don’t win in the post season.  Dallas doesn’t win but is very relevant. 

On 2/6/2020 at 4:34 PM, SF2 said:

If money is the only consideration, sure.  Most of these owners have huge egos,  want to win, and be relevant.  The Chargers like the Bengals are not relevant and don’t win in the post season.  Dallas doesn’t win but is very relevant. 

They also don’t like being told “no” by a city when they want a new facility.  After 15 years of trying he left.  

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

They also don’t like being told “no” by a city when they want a new facility.  After 15 years of trying he left.  

I totally understand why he left, hard to blame him since Qualcomm was an antiquated dump.  Very much like Riverdump, a bunch of lifeless concrete and a few bathrooms. 

Archived