Backup QB

Backup 2020  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Backup 2020

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

WTF?  By all accounts Burrow is the best available player at a position of need and you think the FO should bag it because of some stupid statistic?  If the Bengals are going to suck they aren't going to suck more with Burrow at QB.  Taking a lesser player would make them more likely to suck more, which is what you are suggesting.

WTF back. If they pick Chase Young, they will suck more? The statistic isn't stupid, it's quite telling. People here are making ridiculous statements like Burrow will make the OL better and the OL won't get him killed. Rationalizing because they want the most exciting pick. Let's talk in a year or two and I can tell you I told you so.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

That has nothing to do with it. It's not Andy, it's the Bengals FO....they're not going to ask that from him. Period. 

That's not the point dude I was replying to was making. We have no idea what the FO is going to do. They kept Kitna for a year to groom CP9!  Exclamation Point!

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Well since they’ve already came out and proclaimed that they’re going to work with Andy to facilitate a trade, actually we do. 

They said they were open to trading him when the time is right. And wouldn't put him in a "bad spot". We have no idea who said it, when is "the right time", who are we trading him to, or how much we want in compensation. Maybe, just maybe, not a definitive as you assert.The Bengals would be stupid (more than they are) to announce "we're not trading Andy". 

8 hours ago, bfine said:

No QB in the NFL wants to be benched; however. Eli acted professionally and did what was required to help his team. You don't think Andy would do that?

It is the off season. Dalton knows he is being replaced. Manning was told he was still the starting QB. I really don’t know why this is so hard for you or why you demand Dalton just lay down and become Joe Burrow’s personal trainer.   

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

It is the off season. Dalton knows he is being replaced. Manning was told he was still the starting QB. I really don’t know why this is so hard for you or why you demand Dalton just lay down and become Joe Burrow’s personal trainer.   

So your answer is that Andy wouldn't handle it in a professional manner? You may be underestimating his character. I'm not demanding anything. I'm simply suggesting what I feel is best for the team and its future and I could give less than a damn if it makes Andy mad. 

20 minutes ago, bfine said:

So your answer is that Andy wouldn't handle it in a professional manner? You may be underestimating his character. I'm not demanding anything. I'm simply suggesting what I feel is best for the team and its future and I could give less than a damn if it makes Andy mad. 

The worst thing this team could do is bring in a brand new QB who was the #1 pick,lHeisman trophy winner and national champ winner and have him learn behind a guy who led the franchise to 5 straight playoff appearances.  

Andy Dalton is not going to just roll over and play dead. He has been playing with many of these players for 7 years. He doesn’t owe Joe Burrow ANYTHING. You seem to think Burrow will just walk in and Andy will hand him the playbook and everyone will rejoice. 

it’s obvious to me you have never played high end competitive sports. You don’t understand team dynamics. You seem to think elite athletes just roll over and play dead. You make me fucking laugh. Dalton will not be Joe Burrow’s mentor. Dalton is not Jon fucking Kitna. Montana hated being Steve Young’s backup. He still hates Steve Young. 

Dalton needs to go now.  Period. Can not have the other guy in the locker room. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

The worst thing this team could do is bring in a brand new QB who was the #1 pick,lHeisman trophy winner and national champ winner and have him learn behind a guy who led the franchise to 5 straight playoff appearances.  

Andy Dalton is not going to just roll over and play dead. He has been playing with many of these players for 7 years. He doesn’t owe Joe Burrow ANYTHING. You seem to think Burrow will just walk in and Andy will hand him the playbook and everyone will rejoice. 

it’s obvious to me you have never played high end competitive sports. You seem to think elite athletes just roll and play dead. You make me fucking laugh. Dalton will not be Joe Burrow’s mentor. Dalton is not Jon fucking Kitna. Montana 

Pitiful hyperbole and refusal to answer the simple question posed aside: As I mentioned earlier, The Chin said the best thing to do was to keep Andy. But it's obvious  he most likely doesn't have your experience in high end competitive sports. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

it’s obvious to me you have never played high end competitive sports. You don’t understand team dynamics. You seem to think elite athletes just roll over and play dead. You make me fucking laugh. Dalton will not be Joe Burrow’s mentor. Dalton is not Jon fucking Kitna. Montana hated being Steve Young’s backup. He still hates Steve Young. 

Dalton needs to go now.  Period. Can not have the other guy in the locker room. 

Exactly.

Let Dalton go to another team, suck there, and realize his mediocrity has turned into horribleness. 

And then the dumbest fans in the league will ask for him back still.

22 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

Exactly.

Let Dalton go to another team, suck there, and realize his mediocrity has turned into horribleness. 

And then the dumbest fans in the league will ask for him back still.

It'll be their: Oline's, WR's, Coach's, Owner's, Defense's fault. It won't be his. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday (2/12) the Bengals will work with Dalton "to facilitate a trade when the time is right." Rapoport cited an unnamed source with the Bengals who had been briefed on the plans.

"Everyone assumes they're going to take Joe Burrow or at the very least a quarterback, and this is something that's been communicated to Dalton," Rapoport reported. The report said the Bengals highly respect what Dalton has done for them and they "... want to work with him and they're not going to do anything that puts him in a bad spot or that he does not agree with going forward."

In Dalton's 10th season, he was to take up $17.7 million of cap space with the Bengals according to Spotrac.com numbers, but only $200,000 will be absorbed by the team in case of a trade.  The uncertainty surrounding Dalton had been whether the Bengals might want to keep him as a buffer until Burrow is up and ready to go, then use him as a backup. But the $17.7 million is too steep a price for this.

If the Bengals don't get too cheap, they should get the pick of backups.   As somebody said, every backup thinks they can start.  And as good as Burrow looked, he's going to be a rookie. And if he struggles (and especially if he takes a beating while doing it), the Bengals may bench him.  Any veteran who is not going to get a starting job would love to come here.   Especially if Green is playing. 

11 hours ago, Hooky said:

WTF back. If they pick Chase Young, they will suck more? The statistic isn't stupid, it's quite telling. People here are making ridiculous statements like Burrow will make the OL better and the OL won't get him killed. Rationalizing because they want the most exciting pick. Let's talk in a year or two and I can tell you I told you so.

Will they suck more if they pick Chase Young?  Maybe.  Even if he is the second coming of Reggie White he doesn't make them a playoff team.  If Burrow is the real deal he makes them better big time. 

Pick the best player, period.  Chase Young sucked balls in the Fiesta Bowl. 

Are you trying to tell us that the guy that blew chunks in the biggest game he ever played in college would be a better pick than a guy that rose to the moment in the college football playoffs?

46 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

If the Bengals don't get too cheap, they should get the pick of backups.   As somebody said, every backup thinks they can start.  And as good as Burrow looked, he's going to be a rookie. And if he struggles (and especially if he takes a beating while doing it), the Bengals may bench him.  Any veteran who is not going to get a starting job would love to come here.   Especially if Green is playing. 

Not even a shred of a chance this happens. If he’s not playing, he’s not learning. If he’s not learning, then everyone’s wasting time and money.

11 hours ago, bfine said:

I'm going to start laughing now....tell me when I should stop.

Around when he starts lighting it up for them.

Not saying he will, I mean obviously there's no difference between us and NE that might make it a better situation for a QB. Dalton was obviously holding back our OL, who are obviously closer to top 20 than bottom 3 in Division 2 college teams. Probably.

But since you asked, that would be a good time, if that somehow happens. Which it won't, since QB's can only make a team better, whereas the team has no bearing on QB performance. 

Still, that would be the time.

20 hours ago, bfine said:

Even if Dalton were a consumate professional, that's not worth 17 million dollars. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Even if Dalton were a consumate professional, that's not worth 17 million dollars. 

To give Joe every asset available is worth much more than $17 Mil. After the Superbowl Mahomes gave all the credit to Alex Smith for mentoring him as a rookie. 

20 minutes ago, bfine said:

To give Joe every asset available is worth much more than $17 Mil. After the Superbowl Mahomes gave all the credit to Alex Smith for mentoring him as a rookie. 

Alex Smith started every game except the last one since their playoff position was already set during Mahomes' rookie season.   Smith was also a returning pro bowl QB.  So you think Burrow should ride the bench his first year?  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Alex Smith started every game except the last one since their playoff position was already set during Mahomes' rookie season.   Smith was also a returning pro bowl QB.  So you think Burrow should ride the bench his first year?  

Not my call. But we currently need a replacement a hell of a lot more than KC did, so the desire to start him immediately will be higher. Either way the point  is a professional veteran can help in the development of a young promising QB. But many here don't want to do it for some reason.  I'm really not sure of the point of your reply. Is it: Alex Smith is a much better QB than Andy?

11 hours ago, bfine said:

Not my call. But we currently need a replacement a hell of a lot more than KC did, so the desire to start him immediately will be higher. Either way the point  is a professional veteran can help in the development of a young promising QB. But many here don't want to do it for some reason.  I'm really not sure of the point of your reply. Is it: Alex Smith is a much better QB than Andy?

No it’s that Dalton wants out and the club has already stated it will help facilitate a trade.  That bridge has been burned. 

Archived