Backup QB

Backup 2020  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Backup 2020

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Just Kidding. 

Dude is a broken down never has been.  He has won 23 games in 19 years.  One playoff appearance in 19 years. 11 different teams in 19 years.  Yeah, this is the guy I want mentoring Burrow, Jay Cutler’s backup. 

Nobody is proposing that McCown should play extensively. He's there to teach Burrow how to be an NFL QB. He's done that before with Darnold and others. If you have some personal objection to McCown, there are others of his ilk available. Guys like Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Colt McCoy, Case Keenum, etc. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Preferably someone who doesn’t cost $17.5M

Defeats the benefit of having a QB on his rookie contract. 

The only real issue is Andy would be a bad citizen. The money is moot. It's for one year and if folks think Mikey is going to look for those savings to sign more talent then they've just recently started following the team. He pays his own and that's it. Without even parting ways with Andy we have over $47 MIL in cap space and that's before getting "creative". We can resign our important folks and move the cap hit to next year and beyond by paying bonuses. 

If Andy Dalton acts like a professional no one can argue that he's not the best backup QB we could get for JB. Now if a team is silly enough to offer us a high 2nd for Andy, then we'd have to consider it. 

3 minutes ago, bfine said:

The only real issue is Andy would be a bad citizen. The money is moot. It's for one year and if folks think Mikey is going to look for those savings to sign more talent then they've just recently started following the team. He pays his own and that's it. Without even parting ways with Andy we have over $47 MIL in cap space and that's before getting "creative". We can resign our important folks and move the cap hit to next year and beyond by paying bonuses. 

If Andy Dalton acts like a professional no one can argue that he's not the best backup QB we could get for JB. Now if a team is silly enough to offer us a high 2nd for Andy, then we'd have to consider it. 

There is a minimum. He'd have to spend at least some of it somewhere.

16 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Nobody is proposing that McCown should play extensively. He's there to teach Burrow how to be an NFL QB. He's done that before with Darnold and others. If you have some personal objection to McCown, there are others of his ilk available. Guys like Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Colt McCoy, Case Keenum, etc. 

He sucked as an NFL QB. There is no reason to sign him. Darnold was one of the worst QBs in the league last year.  Your second group is a much more reasonable list other than McCoy who could blow out his knee getting the mail. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

The team is already $36mil under the 95% minimum so all of Andy’s $17.7 mil would need to be spent. 

If they extend Jackson & extend/tag Green, that $36M is pretty much spent & maybe a little more, but not sure what there cap counts would be though.

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

How’s that make him any different than the rest of them?

Keenum would be a good backup.  Ok record as a starter, decent passer rating.  Borderline bottom team starter or decent backup.

2 hours ago, bfine said:

Case Keenum most likely wants to be a starter too.

The guy will be on his 6th team in 10 years.  I have to think he realizes nobody is bringing him in to be a starter given the other options.   He played for $3.5 million last year, I am sure he would have no problem getting similar money to come here.

34 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The guy will be on his 6th team in 10 years.  I have to think he realizes nobody is bringing him in to be a starter given the other options.   He played for $3.5 million last year, I am sure he would have no problem getting similar money to come here.

Perhaps, but he probably still wants to be a starter. The only time he had a real team around him he led them to a division title  and took them to within one game from the Superbowl. Hell last year with an absolutely garbage team he posted a rating of over 91. I'm thinking if he's going back up he's looking for a place that he can compete.

But I'm sure if he came here he wouldn't cause issues if not the starter. What professional QB would?

3 hours ago, bfine said:

Perhaps, but he probably still wants to be a starter. The only time he had a real team around him he led them to a division title  and took them to within one game from the Superbowl. Hell last year with an absolutely garbage team he posted a rating of over 91. I'm thinking if he's going back up he's looking for a place that he can compete.

But I'm sure if he came here he wouldn't cause issues if not the starter. What professional QB would?

When you tell a guy you are signing him to be the back up and he signs, he won’t be a problem. 

29 minutes ago, SF2 said:

When you tell a guy you are signing him to be the back up and he signs, he won’t be a problem. 

What do you think the percentage is of players signed that the team asserts signing "We are signing you to be a backup"?

Are you also suggesting whomever we sign we tell them "You're going to be a backup"?

10 minutes ago, bfine said:

What do you think the percentage is of players signed that the team asserts signing "We are signing you to be a backup"?

Are you also suggesting whomever we sign we tell them "You're going to be a backup"?

Yes. 

Archived