Backup QB

Backup 2020  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Backup 2020

17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yes. 

Damn, You're fired as my personnel director and I can only suggest your career is not as a motivational speaker. 

SF2: "Stop any thoughts of being a starting NFL QB, We want to sign you but understand that there is no competition for the starting role at your position" 

12 minutes ago, bfine said:

Damn, You're fired as my personnel director and I can only suggest your career is not as a motivational speaker. 

SF2: "We want to sign you but understand that there is no competition for the starting role at your position" 

well when/if he signs with a team with the 1 pick and they take a qb, if he thinks there will be a competition he isnt the brightest lightbulb in the burntout bulb pile .  

26 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

well when/if he signs with a team with the 1 pick and they take a qb, if he thinks there will be a competition he isnt the brightest lightbulb in the burntout bulb pile .  

So Case should "know his role"?

15 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes..im assuming his backup salary would indicate his role...

So salary instead of performance should indicate role?

Folks are 2funny.

Case came off a season where he had a passer rating 13 points higher than Andy on a team with less talent on offense than the Bengals, has led a team to a division title and actually won a playoff since Andy, and is younger than Andy, But he should accept his role as backup because he's paid less?

This is entertaining. 

4 minutes ago, bfine said:

Folks are 2funny.

Case came off a season where he had a passer rating 13 points higher than Andy on a team with less talent on offense than the Bengals, has led a team to a division title and actually won a playoff since Andy, and is younger than Andy, But he should accept his role as backup because he's paid less?

This is entertaining. 

Maybe he should go someplace where he can start then..

Joe needs a backup who can be a good mentor for him and will have his back.  That should be the number one requirement.  Despite all the negative things we know and have brought up again about Kitna - he was definitely that for Carson.  On this original question I voted Finley because I took the question as "who do you think the Bengals will have as the backup", not who I hope it is.  For the latter,"Vet" is the correct answer, and I'm starting to think the Bengals will go that way as well.

I know some are leaning heavily on "can they win and play like a starter?", and the point is well made that those guys are rare (because they want - and receive - chances to start).  I have always been of the mind that if your starter goes down for any extended period your season is basically lost.  Teams like the Pats have been nearly immune to this in the past because they brought in guys that mastered their system (which frankly doesn't need to rely on the QB to play like a superstar anyway).  For my money the Bengals should - and likely will - hang all their fortunes on Joe, and invest absolutely everything in him and his success, including who is backing him up.  To me that's the right move.  

9 hours ago, bfine said:

Folks are 2funny.

This is entertaining. 

Hey, if someone wants to give Keenum the keys to the offense, he'll sign there.  If not, he would be a good choice for backup.  My guess is most of the offers Keenum gets will be to play backup.  Have you noticed the FA choices at QB?

21 hours ago, bfine said:

Folks are 2funny.

This is entertaining. 

no what i am trying convey is pretty simple if they spend a #1 pick on burrows or any other qb and you sign with that team expect for him to start as soon as he is deemed ready.  theres a reason they drafted a qb and andy isnt here anymore so  this isnt about andy and a new FA qb . if we dont draft a qb #1 keep andy and sign a FA qb then you might have what you are talking about actually add something to the conversation. . but we dont now do we...... 

23 hours ago, bfine said:

Folks are 2funny.

This is entertaining. 

What is hilarious is you thinking we would waste the #1 pick on a QB to back up Case Keemun. Absolutely hysterical!  And why are you comparing him to Dalton?  Dalton is being replaced, Keenum is just a cheaper replacement. 

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

What is hilarious is you thinking we would waste the #1 pick on a QB to back up Case Keemun. Absolutely hysterical!  And why are you comparing him to Dalton?  Dalton is being replaced, Keenum is just a cheaper replacement. 

I compared Andy to Case because you stated Case should "know his role" while it can be debated that he's had more success as a starter than Andy of late. Nowhere have I said we should bring in Case Keenum to start but the thought of Burrow competing for a job is not funny. Pretty sure Mahomes recently did it. Duke Tobin has publically said "It won't be about the finances" so we can quit worrying about saving Pumpkin's inheritance.

2 hours ago, bfine said:

I compared Andy to Case because you stated Case should "know his role" while it can be debated that he's had more success as a starter than Andy of late. Nowhere have I said we should bring in Case Keenum to start but the thought of Burrow competing for a job is not funny. Pretty sure Mahomes recently did it. Duke Tobin has publically said "It won't be about the finances" so we can quit worrying about saving Pumpkin's inheritance.

The Chiefs moved up in the draft to get Mahomes to REPLACE Smith.  The same Smith who was replace by Colin Kaepernick in San Fran.   

Joe Burrow in NOT competing for a job.  He is being brought here to start so that people buy tickets, parking passes, beer, rent luxury suits and other items which make the Brown family more money.  If you don't realize that you haven't been a fan long.  The Chiefs had been to the playoffs 2 straight years and average PAID attendance was over 73,000 a game.  The Bengals have missed the playoffs four straight years and average a DISMAL 47,000 a game and those 47,000 didn't show up the last half of the season.   

So what does that mean?  That means the Chiefs are making an additional $20 mil minimum or so off parking passes, luxury suits and concessions with a FULL stadium the entire season.  Keep in mind, ticket sales are shared so there is another reason the owners don't like Mike Brown. 

Andy Reid didn't have to start Mahomes early.  He already had a damn good team, Mahomes wasn't a well known Heisman winning  #1 pick,  and Smith was a pro bowler.   Comparing the 2 situations is laughable. 

Burrow will be the starter unless Zac wants to hear boos like Hue Jackson did starting Tie-Rod Taylor the first 3 games in Cleveland instead of the Hobo.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

So what does that mean?  That means the Chiefs are making an additional $20 mil minimum or so off parking passes, luxury suits and concessions with a FULL stadium the entire season.  Keep in mind, ticket sales are shared so there is another reason the owners don't like Mike Brown. 

So much this. 

One of the reasons the other owners resent Mike Brown is that he takes all the shared revenue and does as little as possible to market his team to add to that pool of money.  He truly is a leech on the system. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The Chiefs moved up in the draft to get Mahomes to REPLACE Smith.  The same Smith who was replace by Colin Kaepernick in San Fran.   

Joe Burrow in NOT competing for a job.  He is being brought here to start so that people buy tickets, parking passes, beer, rent luxury suits and other items which make the Brown family more money.  If you don't realize that you haven't been a fan long.  The Chiefs had been to the playoffs 2 straight years and average PAID attendance was over 73,000 a game.  The Bengals have missed the playoffs four straight years and average a DISMAL 47,000 a game and those 47,000 didn't show up the last half of the season.   

Andy Reid didn't have to start Mahomes early.  He already had a damn good team, Mahomes wasn't a well known Heisman winning  #1 pick,  and Smith was a pro bowler.   Comparing the 2 situations is laughable. 

Burrow will be the starter unless Zac wants to hear boos like Hue Jackson did starting Tie-Rod Taylor the first 3 games in Cleveland instead of the Hobo.

Good info; although it does nothing to address the point at hand. Why should Case "know his role" as a back up to a 1OA QB, while Andy does not need to Know his role?

55 minutes ago, bfine said:

Good info; although it does nothing to address the point at hand. Why should Case "know his role" as a back up to a 1OA QB, while Andy does not need to Know his role?

Andy should know his role if he chooses to stay in Cincinnati.  He doesn't want to stay.  If Keenum would choose to sign with Cincinnati I think he would know his role.

47 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Andy should know his role if he chooses to stay in Cincinnati.  He doesn't want to stay.  If Keenum would choose to sign with Cincinnati I think he would know his role.

I was unaware Andy had a choice in the matter. Any QB on this team should know their role is to mentor the franchise. I'm just surprised folks are suggesting Andy is above doing it. As I've said all thread> The only reason he would not be the best choice is because he'll be mad. 

1 hour ago, bfine said:

I was unaware Andy had a choice in the matter. Any QB on this team should know their role is to mentor the franchise. I'm just surprised folks are suggesting Andy is above doing it. As I've said all thread> The only reason he would not be the best choice is because he'll be mad. 

If Andy wanted to do it he wouldn't ask to be traded.  It's really not that hard.  If the Bengals offer Keenum, or some other vet, a contract they will sign with the knowledge they will be a backup and mentor to a rookie.  Dalton didn't sign on for that, so I get he wants out. 

You think Keenum will be mad?  I think months of no one offering him a starting gig will allow his anger to settle.  Getting a couple million bucks usually makes people grin and bear it. 

Archived