Backup QB

Backup 2020  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Backup 2020

26 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If Andy wanted to do it he wouldn't ask to be traded.  It's really not that hard.  If the Bengals offer Keenum, or some other vet, a contract they will sign with the knowledge they will be a backup and mentor to a rookie.  Dalton didn't sign on for that, so I get he wants out. 

You think Keenum will be mad?  I think months of no one offering him a starting gig will allow his anger to settle.  Getting a couple million bucks usually makes people grin and bear it. 

Meh, I've just never been a fan of rewarding bad behavior. We've paid this guy well to be a mediocre starting QB; we owe him nothing. But if one reads the tea leafs it appears Mikey is winning to make Andy happy more so that he is putting together the best NFL team and it seems some here agree with the position. I'm just one that does not.

AJ Green doesn't want to be franchised. Should it be an option or should we sign him long term because of what he wants? 

4 hours ago, bfine said:

Meh, I've just never been a fan of rewarding bad behavior. We've paid this guy well to be a mediocre starting QB; we owe him nothing. But if one reads the tea leafs it appears Mikey is winning to make Andy happy more so that he is putting together the best NFL team and it seems some here agree with the position. I'm just one that does not.

AJ Green doesn't want to be franchised. Should it be an option or should we sign him long term because of what he wants? 

Let me see if I understand.  You don't want Keenum because he might be angry he's not a #1, but you want to keep Dalton at $17M even though he wants to go and keeping him would make him unhappy?

Ummm...OK, bud.

12 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Let me see if I understand.  You don't want Keenum because he might be angry he's not a #1, but you want to keep Dalton at $17M even though he wants to go and keeping him would make him unhappy?

Ummm...OK, bud.

No, I want Andy to do what is best for the team paying him $17 Mil instead of wanting to take his ball and go home like a child.

Get it now "bud"?

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Dehner said they are likely to go with Finley and Dolegola

I think he even followed that up by saying Dolegola could "leapfrog" Finley, which I guess wouldn't surprise me considering Finley struggled to throw the ball 10 yards down the field. I only watched like one preseason game last year all the way through but Dolegola seemed to have a cannon

Also why not look at the XFL for a guy?

I loved Ta'Amu when he was coming out and he has looked solid. Can run a bit I think which for me is super important for guys who we want to come in and get first downs for a few games. Phillip Walker and Josh Johnson have both looked great. Johnson played here before. Looking outside the roster should be a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Why is Finley so bad? He was great in college and the preseason. How would that happen that he gets into regular games and his arms terrible?

I wouldn't say he was great, slightly above average is more accurate. The speed of regular season games are much greater than CFB and preseason games.

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Also why not look at the XFL for a guy?

I loved Ta'Amu when he was coming out and he has looked solid. Can run a bit I think which for me is super important for guys who we want to come in and get first downs for a few games. Phillip Walker and Josh Johnson have both looked great. Johnson played here before. Looking outside the roster should be a no brainer. 

The XFL has a huge drop off in talent from the NFL. Guys who couldn't get on the field in the NFL look like HOF'ers in the XFL. Josh Johnson, Walker, Tamu, etc...

I think you are severely underestimating the talent level in the NFL. If these guys had the talent to play in the NFL they would be in the NFL.

10 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I wouldn't say he was great, slightly above average is more accurate. The speed of regular season games are much greater than CFB and preseason games.

The XFL has a huge drop off in talent from the NFL. Guys who couldn't get on the field in the NFL look like HOF'ers in the XFL. Josh Johnson, Walker, Tamu, etc...

I think you are severely underestimating the talent level in the NFL. If these guys had the talent to play in the NFL they would be in the NFL.

Exactly.  It’s like comparing Alabama’s starters to Div III champion North Central Illinois. Everyone on NC would rather be playing for Saban. 

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

While I think that's usually true, these secondary leagues always seem to discover 1-2 guys that can play in the NFL.   Given the recent talent evaluation around here it's not hard for me to imagine there are XFL players that could help us.  

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

While I think that's usually true, these secondary leagues always seem to discover 1-2 guys that can play in the NFL.   Given the recent talent evaluation around here it's not hard for me to imagine there are XFL players that could help us.  

There may be a few XFL players who are better than what we currently have at certain positions.  That said we are picking first for a reason. 

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

There may be a few XFL players who are better than what we currently have at certain positions.  That said we are picking first for a reason. 

Yeah..  The guy who called Hart "phenomenal" is now in charge of scouting OL prospects.   I really hoped they'd replace him & Anawhoknows too, maybe even bring in a real OC but they didn't do much of anything with the coaching staff.   The talk last year was that they didn't have time to really build a staff the way they wanted, but now that they have an entire offseason to work with they're all on the Mike Brown Tenure Program & untouchable.  

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah..  The guy who called Hart "phenomenal" is now in charge of scouting OL prospects.   I really hoped they'd replace him & Anawhoknows too, maybe even bring in a real OC but they didn't do much of anything with the coaching staff.   The talk last year was that they didn't have time to really build a staff the way they wanted, but now that they have an entire offseason to work with they're all on the Mike Brown Tenure Program & untouchable.  

This whiny crybaby post is actually correct. That sucks. 

23 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I would bet all 4 of those guys are in the NFL next year. Johnson was offered a contract last year but couldn't take it because of his XFL contract. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived