Jump to content

Backup 2020  

34 members have voted

  1. 1. Backup 2020



Recommended Posts

Well the Bolts and Rivers make it official:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/10/chargers-philip-rivers-announce-he-wont-be-back-in-2020/

 

The signs have been pointing toward Philip Rivers moving on from the Chargers if he wants to continue playing in the NFL and the two sides made it official on Monday.

Their backup is Tyrod Taylor; so Andy could be an option; especially in Miami takes Herbert. LAC would take Tua and he'll most likely need a red-shirt year. WTS, I can see Hawaii native (Mariota) heading to SoCal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this latest "person with knowledge" information makes it clear as mud:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101913/article/bengals-willing-to-work-with-andy-dalton-on-trade

 

"One thing that is very clear is how highly the

Bengals organization thinks of Andy Dalton; off the field, on the field, in the locker room, how he handled last year and everything. My understanding is, according to someone briefed of the team's plans, they're going to work with Andy Dalton to facilitate a trade out of Cincinnati when the time is right," Rapoport said. "Everyone assumes they're going to take Joe Burrow or at the very least a quarterback, and this is something that's been communicated to Dalton. It's also something that Duke Tobin told me on the RapSheet + Friends Podcast a couple of weeks ago. They value Dalton and they want to work with him and they're not going to do anything that puts him in a bad spot or that he does not agree with going forward."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ Mccarron. Bring him back to start for one year over Burrow, then at the end of the season if Mccarron did well keep him going for another year. Sorry.. I like AJ :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gary said:

AJ Mccarron. Bring him back to start for one year over Burrow, then at the end of the season if Mccarron did well keep him going for another year. Sorry.. I like AJ :)

Maybe Joe could Burrow his wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 4:37 PM, bfine said:

Well the Bolts and Rivers make it official:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/10/chargers-philip-rivers-announce-he-wont-be-back-in-2020/

 

 

Their backup is Tyrod Taylor; so Andy could be an option; especially in Miami takes Herbert. LAC would take Tua and he'll most likely need a red-shirt year. WTS, I can see Hawaii native (Mariota) heading to SoCal. 

I keep thinking the Bolts would definitely want to make a splash this year to try and build a little fan loyalty,  Tua would help.  I don't buy into the Tom Brady nonsense but you never know.

 

Do you think Miami would take Herbert over Tua?  Honest question.  Will a team will try and trade with the Lions or Giants for that 3rd or 4th pick to try and pass Miami for Tua?  More likely the Panthers or Bolts.  Heck, maybe Miami does it to prevent someone jumping over them.   I could even see something crazy like the Raiders trying to get that 3rd pick assuming Washington takes Young. 

 

I think there is a sizable gap between Tua and Herbert but you never know. 

 

Mariota is an interesting player.  Guy was extraordinary in college and has shown flashes of brilliance but constant changes (OCs) in Tenn kind of doomed him.  It can't help having Tannehill step in and play far better than him for his confidence either.  Watching him lead what was your team to the AFC Championship had to hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I keep thinking the Bolts would definitely want to make a splash this year to try and build a little fan loyalty,  Tua would help.  I don't buy into the Tom Brady nonsense but you never know.

 

Do you think Miami would take Herbert over Tua?  Honest question.  Will a team will try and trade with the Lions or Giants for that 3rd or 4th pick to try and pass Miami for Tua?  More likely the Panthers or Bolts.  Heck, maybe Miami does it to prevent someone jumping over them.   I could even see something crazy like the Raiders trying to get that 3rd pick assuming Washington takes Young. 

 

I think there is a sizable gap between Tua and Herbert but you never know. 

 

Mariota is an interesting player.  Guy was extraordinary in college and has shown flashes of brilliance but constant changes (OCs) in Tenn kind of doomed him.  It can't help having Tannehill step in and play far better than him for his confidence either.  Watching him lead what was your team to the AFC Championship had to hurt. 

If Tua checks out medically at the combine then my money is on the Fins taking him and red-shirting him. But if Miami has any doubts they may role with Herbert. If the Fins take Tua then the Bolts should take Herbert and will look to start him. Of course there's a chance LA takes the LT and signs a "big name" (Winston, Newton, Mariota) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bfine said:

If Tua checks out medically at the combine then my money is on the Fins taking him and red-shirting him. But if Miami has any doubts they may role with Herbert. If the Fins take Tua then the Bolts should take Herbert and will look to start him. Of course there's a chance LA takes the LT and signs a "big name" (Winston, Newton, Mariota) 

I don’t know about Newton. I think the running and injuries has caught up with him and he isn’t very accurate.  Without his legs I think he is a backup QB.  
 

Winston is the real crap shoot. Guy reminds me of early career Peyton Manning.  He can make all kinds of throws but man, some of his ints are Palmeresque. People forget about all the ints Peyton threw early on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat Kirwan was on the radio with the Chin today and the Chin is with my way of thinking. Andy is more valuable to this team as a backup to Burrow more than he is a pick unless that pick is a 1st rounder or high 2nd. And that ain't happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bfine said:

Pat Kirwan was on the radio with the Chin today and the Chin is with my way of thinking. Andy is more valuable to this team as a backup to Burrow more than he is a pick unless that pick is a 1st rounder or high 2nd. And that ain't happening. 

Kirwan is assuming Dalton will gleefully accept his new position as Burrow’s ball washer.  Not sure why people think Dalton is some weak ass pussy. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalton absolutely will not be on this team this season. No way, no how. You know nothing about this FO if you really believe they’re going to force him into a bench roll. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Dalton absolutely will not be on this team this season. No way, no how. You know nothing about this FO if you really believe they’re going to force him into a bench roll. 

spacer.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Kirwan is assuming Dalton will gleefully accept his new position as Burrow’s ball washer.  Not sure why people think Dalton is some weak ass pussy. 

Actually it was the Chin that said he would keep Dalton, but I agree many are slurring Andy's character. Believe it or not, there are folks that think he cannot stay here and act professionally during the transition. Now someone that couldn't do that while making $17 Mil would be a "weak ass pussy" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Dalton absolutely will not be on this team this season. No way, no how. You know nothing about this FO if you really believe they’re going to force him into a bench roll. 

Is that another "guarantee" from you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SF2 said:

I don’t know about Newton. I think the running and injuries has caught up with him and he isn’t very accurate.  Without his legs I think he is a backup QB.  
 

Winston is the real crap shoot. Guy reminds me of early career Peyton Manning.  He can make all kinds of throws but man, some of his ints are Palmeresque. People forget about all the ints Peyton threw early on. 

 

Let's just say Jameis is a wee bit less cerebral than Peyton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bfine said:

Is that another "guarantee" from you? 

Sure. I guarantee that if the Bengals draft Joe Burrow, Andy Dalton absolutely will not be on this team for the 2020 season. 100%.  

This isn't that hard. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

 

Let's just say Jameis is a wee bit less cerebral than Peyton.

What leads you to believe that? There was a 1 point difference in their Wonderlic score. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bfine said:

What leads you to believe that? There was a 1 point difference in their Wonderlic score. 

 

You could judge them by their off field behavior or watch their interviews or the fact that Manning didn't throw 30 picks in his 5th season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

 

You could judge them by their off field behavior or watch their interviews or the fact that Manning didn't throw 30 picks in his 5th season. 

But he threw 23 in his 4th and had 1000 less yards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bfine said:

Actually it was the Chin that said he would keep Dalton, but I agree many are slurring Andy's character. Believe it or not, there are folks that think he cannot stay here and act professionally during the transition. Now someone that couldn't do that while making $17 Mil would be a "weak ass pussy" 

Dalton doesn’t want to sit on the bench and wet nurse his replacement, he wants to be a starter.  People who think a guy that has been an NFL starting QB for 9 years would be fine doing that just because of the money are terribly mistaken. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Dalton doesn’t want to sit on the bench and wet nurse his replacement, he wants to be a starter.  People who think a guy that has been an NFL starting QB for 9 years would be fine doing that just because of the money are terribly mistaken. 

Hell, Eli did it just fine and he has 2 Superbowl Rings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bfine said:

Hell, Eli did it just fine and he has 2 Superbowl Rings. 

Eli was 38, the starter, was benched and then retired all in the same season.  If you think he was fine with being benched you are wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Eli was 38, the starter, was benched and then retired all in the same season.  If you think he was fine with being benched you are wrong. 

No QB in the NFL wants to be benched; however. Eli acted professionally and did what was required to help his team. You don't think Andy would do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully they don't pick Burrow. 2 Heisman QBs have won a SB. Only a couple more have played in one. Out of 24? At least half of them were flat out busts. It probably has to do with the bad teams that picked first in the draft that weren't ready for a rookie QB. And unfortunately, the Bengals will be the next to fall into that trap if they succomb to the pressure from all of the talking heads and draft "experts". There seems to be a rule that a QB has to be the first pick. 

 

But to play along with the thread topic, it should be Dalton unless they get a really good trade offer for him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, SF2 said:

I don’t know about Newton. I think the running and injuries has caught up with him and he isn’t very accurate.  Without his legs I think he is a backup QB.  
 

Winston is the real crap shoot. Guy reminds me of early career Peyton Manning.  He can make all kinds of throws but man, some of his ints are Palmeresque. People forget about all the ints Peyton threw early on. 

I just remember the ones in the playoffs.  The Mannings are the most overrated QBs ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Hopefully they don't pick Burrow. 2 Heisman QBs have won a SB. Only a couple more have played in one. Out of 24? At least half of them were flat out busts. It probably has to do with the bad teams that picked first in the draft that weren't ready for a rookie QB. And unfortunately, the Bengals will be the next to fall into that trap if they succomb to the pressure from all of the talking heads and draft "experts". There seems to be a rule that a QB has to be the first pick. 

 

But to play along with the thread topic, it should be Dalton unless they get a really good trade offer for him.

WTF?  By all accounts Burrow is the best available player at a position of need and you think the FO should bag it because of some stupid statistic?  If the Bengals are going to suck they aren't going to suck more with Burrow at QB.  Taking a lesser player would make them more likely to suck more, which is what you are suggesting.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...