Free Agency Thread

Super Bowl over, free agency gets into full swing.

Bengals in the cat bird seat for pecking order for waiver wire pick ups.

The NFL’s waiver system for the 2020 year resumes today.

All vested veterans (4+ accrued seasons) that are released become free agents right away, while all others are subject to the waiver wire.

The Bengals will have top priority on waivers all the way through Week 3.

https://sports.yahoo.com/falcons-wont-resign-vic-beasley-pushing-him-into-free-agency-191139036.html

Vic Beasley?

On the downside and aging but plays OLB, a position of dire need for the Stripes.

Does he become the latest in a long line of end of the line linebackers joining 

A.J. Hawk and Preston Brown?

I think a good possibility for a year or so and an upgrade from most of what we've got.

From the Bleacher Report

1. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints

2. Dak Prescott, QB, Dallas Cowboys

3. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots

4. Philip Rivers, QB, Los Angeles Chargers

5. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Tennessee Titans

6. Amari Cooper, WR, Dallas Cowboys

7. Chris Jones, DL, Kansas City Chiefs

8. Anthony Harris, DB, Minnesota Vikings

9. Byron Jones, DB, Dallas Cowboys

10. Chris Harris Jr., DB, Denver Broncos

11. A.J. Green, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

12. Jameis Winston, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

13. Jadeveon Clowney, EDGE, Seattle Seahawks

15. Hunter Henry, TE, Los Angeles Chargers

16. Cory Littleton, LB, Los Angeles Rams

17. Anthony Castonzo, OL, Indianapolis Colts

18. Robby Anderson, WR, New York Jets

19. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, New Orleans Saints

20. Justin Simmons, DB, Denver Broncos

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

You will get nothing and like it. 

Yeah, no kidding...I saw the thread title and chuckled...my first thought was that it belonged in the "Around the NFL" forum instead of Bengals Only.

I'm really trying to stay optimistic...especially with the catalyst that Joe Burrow *COULD* provide.  But I've also seen this movie too many times before.

Fingers still crossed that it will somehow be different this year.

The team starts about 48 mil under the cap but could easily clear another 40 mil in cap space. Our rookies will cost about 12 mil if we don't change any picks. 

The Bengals could easily afford 2 or 3 10+ million dollar players from other teams to provide upgrades plus re-sign Green, Dennard, Billings, and Eifert. And another half dozen lower priced veteran free agents. We could go into the draft with starting QB as our only need and able to take BPA. 

Does anyone here think the team will actually manage to achieve that?

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Agree.... did not know how to reduce the size.

I deleted it.  May or may not add something later.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Post the sig picture as a separate file when you respond to this note.  I'll resize it and repost it to you.  

16 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Yeah, no kidding...I saw the thread title and chuckled...my first thought was that it belonged in the "Around the NFL" forum instead of Bengals Only.

I'm really trying to stay optimistic...especially with the catalyst that Joe Burrow *COULD* provide.  But I've also seen this movie too many times before.

Fingers still crossed that it will somehow be different this year.

No reason to be optimistic UNTIL the team actually makes multiple moves in the FA market. If they don't it is just groundhog day with a new QB

11 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

that was actually an ok signing though

I'd say he had one "ok" season here, but for me it was emblematic of how the Bengals were getting "downside" players rather than "in their prime" players.  Maybe it's my fault for thinking we were getting "Pro Bowl" Kevin Hardy (a level to which he hadn't really played for years before coming here).

I think the whole point of bringing in Kevin Hardy was to be a stabilizing force in the locker room. It was Marvs first team and he desperately needed leaders in the locker room. To me, that’s what that signing was all about. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I think the whole point of bringing in Kevin Hardy was to be a stabilizing force in the locker room. It was Marvs first team and he desperately needed leaders in the locker room. To me, that’s what that signing was all about. 

Yeah I think Marvin said as much at the time.  He certainly lobbied to sign a lot of vets in those early days, and you can't really blame him.

Edit:  Keep in mind that I was responding to the post which said "a long line of end-of-the-line linebackers".  Hardy certainly qualifies.  

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

right

Archived