Ridiculous Dan Patrick BS

1 hour ago, crazycat said:

My understanding is the Burrow could not pull an Eli even if he wanted to. I believe that the NFL changed the rules so that if that is the case he would have to sit out the year and re-enter the draft next year. I cannot see ANYONE taking a complete year off and expecting the be a high draft pick, Kapernick the exception.

Burrow will be the next QB for Cincinnati or mickeyboy will have a full on riot on his hands at PBS. Even he isn't that stupid, I hope.

I don't think this is right. While he can sit out a year, his rights can also be traded. The catch is fitting his cap number (determined by going first overall) into the rookie pool of a team drafting later. There are various workarounds which make it possible.

1 hour ago, SouthPaw said:

Bingo Mr. Kiper you nailed it.  Ill say it again.  THERE IS ZERO CHANCE JOE BURROW ISNT DRAFTED BY THE CINCINNATI BENGALS.  THERE IS LESS THAT ZERO CHANCE THAT HE REFUSES TO PLAY FOR THEM.  WRITE THAT SHIT DOWN IN SHARPIE.  

Now that worries the crap out of me. Mel Kiper is wrong more times than he is right.

58 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think this is right. While he can sit out a year, his rights can also be traded. The catch is fitting his cap number (determined by going first overall) into the rookie pool of a team drafting later. There are various workarounds which make it possible.

Nope, his rights can not be traded the first year.   If the Bengals chose him he can ONLY  play for them his rookie year unless the Bengals flat out release him AFTER he has signed his contract and reported to the team.  Keep in mind that is a 4 year guaranteed contract so releasing him would be wicked expensive. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Nope, his rights can not be traded the first year.   If the Bengals chose him he can ONLY  play for them his rookie year unless the Bengals flat out release him AFTER he has signed his contract and reported to the team.  Keep in mind that is a 4 year guaranteed contract so releasing him would be wicked expensive. 

Could you cite the CBA provision that prevents trading player rights? The 2011 CBA changed rookie contracts significantly but I've seen no mention of provisions that would block another Eli Manning situation. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Could you cite the CBA provision that prevents trading player rights? The 2011 CBA changed rookie contracts significantly but I've seen no mention of provisions that would block another Eli Manning situation. 

Can you name 1 first round pick that has been traded in the last 15 years after being chosen?   You can’t because it hasn't happened. You can trade picks, you can’t trade players. 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:19 PM, saphead said:

Solomon Wil-cocks is another one that can go suck a big fat bag of goat dicks. Ooooh such hot takes! 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/02/06/solomon-wilcots-joe-burrow-bengals-culture-sucked-life-palmer/4683033002/

And again, no mention of the team not committed to winning going to the playoffs 5 straight years after Palmer and his wife left.

17 hours ago, crazycat said:

Now that worries the crap out of me. Mel Kiper is wrong more times than he is right.

Not the point.  He is basically saying what everyone knows to be true and essentially extinguishing this bullshit narrative being spun in the national media for a lack of anything better to do or talk about.  

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Can you name 1 first round pick that has been traded in the last 15 years after being chosen?   You can’t because it hasn't happened. You can trade picks, you can’t trade players. 

Most players don't have good alternatives, but it could have happened last year with Kyler Murray if he chose baseball after being drafted in the NFL. 

From what I have read the rules have not changed since '04 when Manning pulled his bullshit.  You can trade rookies, but you keep the cap hit from you original slot.  This makes it pretty rare to make this change, but in the case of Manning and Rivers it kind of worked.  Since Rivers was drafted fourth it wasn't that big of a deal.  Manning was also already very wealthy and threatened to sit out the year and go to law school.  I don't think you are going to see Joe Burrow doing that shit. as it doesn't appear that he has a famous daddy who will finance him. 

He will no doubt get a variety of opinions including both extremes. But this ALL about the team sending the right message to him - that they want to win and compete for championships and will do the things they have to in order to do that. I have said before if I am Burrow, I am asking pointed questions directly at the Inbreds about this, about scouting staff size about commitment to winning, about using FA, etc. I would sign but warn them that no second contract would be forthcoming unless the team was chasing the SB. Ans lastly I would tell them I would be happy to be the face of the winning team but if the management does not buy in then it will be known in the public domain.

While we are here,  On the national media stuff --- where are the national media attempts to get Chase Young (generational talent) to refuse to play for the Dan Snyders? Where are the nat'l media attempts to get Okudah to refuse to play in Detroit? To get Tua to refuse Miami? All of those teams as bad or worse than Cincy over last 20 years for sure. This just gets so old to see this as if 2011-15 didn't happen. Or 2009. Or 2005. The playoff losses sting, but they had good seasons to get in position to disappoint us all...

50 minutes ago, membengal said:

Sure. He can sit out a year , cost himself millions, go back into the draft approaching 25 and behind Lawrence and Fields, but, sure, leverage. Weird to think he would think about doing that to make Carson and PFT happy, but, you never know.

Elway and Eli got traded to their preferred teams either on draft day or shortly afterward. Burrow may well think that Mike Brown would rather get something than nothing for Burrow. We all think Brown is spiteful and stubborn enough to take nothing but not many people would actually do that. 

Just now, sparky151 said:

Elway and Eli got traded to their preferred teams either on draft day or shortly afterward. Burrow may well think that Mike Brown would rather get something than nothing for Burrow. We all think Brown is spiteful and stubborn enough to take nothing but not many people would actually do that. 

I would imagine Burrow is smarter than to underestimate Mike Brown. And Mike Brown should absolutely not be bullied into dealing Burrow.  Elway had the baseball threat to fall back on. Manning was...a Manning. Burrow could use the money and time is wasting. There's no leverage. 

If DP/Carson etc think MB doesn't care then he should acknowledge that they're really only hurting existing Bengals players, staff and fans.. 

I know Carson thinks negative of Bengals fans but only an idiot would think that behavior is exclusive to this team and not every other damn team in the NFL - except the towns that don't really support their home team..

It's all a bunch of nonsense.  Just sensationalized headlines to get clicks / attention / ratings which means more cash in the end.  There isn't anything else to debate with the 1st pick and the Bengals have too small of a market.  If nobody cares about the pick & team and they're unable to generate a bunch of hype about it, then there's no money to be made.  Nobody gives a shit if they stir the pot with a bunch of BS as long as it keeps people talking and generates revenue.  The people spreading the BS can do so because they will never be held accountable - they'll just move to the next talking point.  It's all a form of entertainment not much different than professional wrestling when it comes to reality.

The Bengals will draft Joe Burrow.  After his rookie contract, they will make him the highest paid NFL player in the league - just like they did with Palmer.  Bengal fans will be happy, Joe Burrow will be happy and everyone else will still hate Mike Brown and the Bengals.

Let's say they draft Burrow and the team fails to produce.  The next talking point will be about Joe Brady being hired to take over the reigns after Zac Taylor is fired.  Especially if the Panthers do anything offensively.

The words “I have leverage” came directly from Joe Burrow himself, not some squawking head trying to get clicks. The fact that he even said it means at the very least that he’s given it serious thought.  No matter how you spin that, it’s not a good sign. 

4 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

The article puts no actual context to those words. Why is this ominous?

Lol why else would he be saying those words? What context is needed? He could have easily said “I hope the Bengals pick me and we go on to win a SB together!” But instead he chose to say “I have leverage” if he doesn’t want to play here. Again, what context is needed? 

Archived