Ridiculous Dan Patrick BS

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Lol why else would he be saying those words? What context is needed? He could have easily said “I hope the Bengals pick me and we go on to win a SB together!” But instead he chose to say “I have leverage” if he doesn’t want to play here. Again, what context is needed? 

I don’t see anything referencing the bold content in the article. I understand why you might be inclined to assume this, but I don’t think that’s the only possible explanation. “Leverage” can refer to a lot of things, especially when it’s blurted by a draft prospect being asked a question about “leverage”. Burrow referenced his tape as leverage that “he doesn’t have to prove himself” at scouting days or the combine. That’s not about the Bengals. Maybe the question he was asked, which I don’t see clearly stated unless I missed it, was about the Bengals. But he mentioned pre-draft events with regard to his need to show himself as a #1 overall candidate.

If they pick me they pick me. *If the Bengals feel I am worthy of the selection, they will make the selection.* Presuming the choice with that enthusiasm you demand is a display of hubris, and it’s probably contrary to agent advice (and possibly even gray area with league rules about tampering et al).

This whole thing is bullshit.  If the media drumming up clicks and these old nothings (Bartkowski? when's the last time anyone gave two shits about that guy?) drives some sort of narrative into reality, I'm done.  In the same article, and the Ringer article you have them engineering a trade to Miami like its some glorious organization.  Miami sucks and has sucked for a long time.  Stephen Ross blows.

I'm gonna tune this crap out for now, let's wait until Taylor and the organization at least talks to Burrow.  Won't stop these honks from throwing crap to the wall creating a narrative.  But I've decided I'd leave the entire NFL behind if they drive this to fruition.  Eff this garbage.  Never seen anything quite like this. 

5 minutes ago, BurnsBengal said:

This whole thing is bullshit.  If the media drumming up clicks and these old nothings (Bartkowski? when's the last time anyone gave two shits about that guy?) drives some sort of narrative into reality, I'm done.  In the same article, and the Ringer article you have them engineering a trade to Miami like its some glorious organization.  Miami sucks and has sucked for a long time.  Stephen Ross blows.

I'm gonna tune this crap out for now, let's wait until Taylor and the organization at least talks to Burrow.  Won't stop these honks from throwing crap to the wall creating a narrative.  But I've decided I'd leave the entire NFL behind if they drive this to fruition.  Eff this garbage.  Never seen anything quite like this. 

This is where I have gotten, to a “T”.

I almost went looking for an email address for Ben Baby today, after he regurgitated this worn out narrative. Then I thought better of it. I trust in Burrow’s integrity. 

I want to extract the rest of the quote from the PFT thing just so what minimal context we're given is readily visible. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/17/former-no-1-overall-pick-advises-joe-burrow-to-pull-an-eli-manning/

But Burrow also acknowledged he has “leverage” as the Heisman Trophy winner and best player in the draft.

“I do have leverage,” Burrow said. “They have their process and I have my process. We haven’t even gotten to the Combine yet. There’s a lot of things that happen leading up to the draft and a lot of information gathered.

“Right now, I’m focused on being the best football player I can be. I’m in this unique spot. You can go watch my film. I don’t have to prove myself at pro day and at the Combine, so I’m in a unique spot where I can focus on getting ready for the year.”

The word "leverage" here does not have to be about Burrow's desire or non-desire to play in Cincinnati. That is just not in this quote. It can be inferred if someone wants to reach for that inference by force (as sports media like PFT are obviously going to do), but it's not even strongly implied.

Burrow is being bombarded constantly with two narratives, both of which must annoy the piss out of him:

1) You're the guaranteed, no-doubt, obvious, #1 overall pick.

He doesn't know this to be true, and it would probably feel premature and foolish to just jump in with that assumption. He is still working to be the best he can be for next year. He has the leverage to use his current position ("unique spot") to his greatest advantage by doing the work necessary to best prepare himself. And if after that work, they pick me, then they pick me. Until that moment, no assumption a good assumption.

2) You clearly don't want to play for the BENGALS do you???

What is he even supposed to do with this bullshit? He has pooh-poohed it, he has ignored it, he has deflected from it. He has even overtly stated that he would be happy to play for whoever is willing to pay him money. Nothing Joe Burrow says will shut this shit up, and he has probably realized that by now.

17 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

This is where I have gotten, to a “T”.

I almost went looking for an email address for Ben Baby today, after he regurgitated this worn out narrative. Then I thought better of it. I trust in Burrow’s integrity. 

The thing is too, did we ever hear any of this from the media when the Browns were taking one of their 8 million high draft picks since they've been back?  Was one word uttered about Mayfield/Manziel/Couch not going to the Browns as they continued their reign of terror of murdering potential QB's?  No, not a word.  And not a word about any of their other high picks who were destined for the gutter.  The league and media has some weird semi-Chubb (see what I did there) for that flaccid nightmare of an org.  The Bengals have had like 3 QB's since Palmer (who I think I hate now).  They stick with QB's to a fault.  This narrative they are trying to drive really is bullshit and they apparently have Burrow's ear a bit, feeding him their wanna-be story. 

I mean, dammit, this is the only time of year when its fun to be a long suffering fan.  We gots hope.  And they are effing it all up for clicks, rat-bastards.  I gotta step away until March.  Lolz

4 minutes ago, BurnsBengal said:

The thing is too, did we ever hear any of this from the media when the Browns were taking one of their 8 million high draft picks since they've been back?  Was one word uttered about Mayfield/Manziel/Couch not going to the Browns as they continued their reign of terror of murdering potential QB's?  No, not a word.  And not a word about any of their other high picks who were destined for the gutter.  The league and media has some weird semi-Chubb (see what I did there) for that flaccid nightmare of an org.  The Bengals have had like 3 QB's since Palmer (who I think I hate now).  They stick with QB's to a fault.  This narrative they are trying to drive really is bullshit and they apparently have Burrow's ear a bit, feeding him their wanna-be story.  I gotta step away until March.  Lolz

Cleveland may be a gongshow of a franchise, but they have one of the best fan bases in the NFL.  The Bengals front office isn't much better and has one of the smallest fan bases in football.  TV Networks want ratings.  An all-pro QB gets better ratings almost anywhere but Cincinnati.  It's not hard to understand this stuff if you consider why they would do it.  They need content.  They want ratings.  Stirring the pot on the best QB prospect in years is one way to do that. 

What you can do is stop watching these stupid shows. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

The words “I have leverage” came directly from Joe Burrow himself, not some squawking head trying to get clicks. The fact that he even said it means at the very least that he’s given it serious thought.  No matter how you spin that, it’s not a good sign. 

I'm not convinced he did say that.  The video of those interview questions is shown here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article240363256.html.  I haven't seen any quote about the leverage he has that is actually attributed to him directly saying it - just that he has leverage put into quotes.  It's not even the reporter that did the interview that stuck the word leverage in quotes with regards to the interview and he makes it very obvious that he, as a fan of Joe Burrow, doesn't want him playing for the Bengals because they don't deserve him.

The reporter was trying to lead him to say something about not wanting to be picked by the Bengals.  If he had said that, or anything even close to it, then they would have included it in the video since that is exactly what they were trying to get from him.  His answer was the correct one to give in his position.  He's controlling what he can control (his workouts and training) and the Bengals and other teams will work through the process from their side of it.  What if the Bengals do choose someone else - he'd look like a dumbass for saying things about how the Bengals are where he wants to be more than anywhere else and then have to answer questions later on about it if they actually pass on him.  He's not a dumbass, he's not falling for the trap questions, but people are still acting like they know that he doesn't want to play for the Bengals.  His own parents keep saying they don't know where it's coming from because it's not coming from him or from them.

You have to realize that people are being vague about the "leverage" bit because it fits an agenda that they want to push.  Someone summarized his feelings about the whole thing as he has "leverage" and now they're all just repeating it over and over without any clarification.  It's how they can stir the pot and generate a bunch of fake hype to drive attention and get people to watch / discuss / etc... without doing any real work, or verifying what he actually did say.  It's lazy reporting from a bunch of attention whores working in the media.  Nobody will ever come back and call them out for it afterwards because it's all about the moment and preening for the cameras, driving the twitter rep, etc...  It's all a bunch of BS.  It's no longer news but entertainment.  Telling the truth in this case is boring, so they're making shit up and running with it.

3 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Um, yes. He'll sign endorsement deals before the draft and even more if he doesn't sign since he'll have more free time. He won't make a power play with the Bengals until after free agency and the week of the draft. 

If Joe has no exposure at all because, you know, he's not doing anything of note, those endorsements will be gone.  You really think people will give a shit about Joe while he's doing the media rounds as a regular citizen?  Do you think these hypothetical endorsers will be fine if they have nothing to market him with?  "Hey everybody, it's Joe!  Joe, what do you like to eat on Sundays?  [Joe]: Welp, I like Doritos, because when I'm on the couch stuffing my fat face while I watch football just like everyone else, Doritos really hit the spot!"

At best he'll be doing car commercials in Lousiana and doing guest commentary on LSU games.  If that gives him leverage then we have very different ideas of what leverage is.

36 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

I mean, if Burrow literally does mean "leverage" in reference to playing or not playing for the Bengals, then I'd have to question his basic understanding of the draft process.

Because there is no such leverage.

He actually has considerable leverage. The whole off-season for Cincinnati revolves around starting the Joe Burrow era. But that requires his cooperation. 

Suppose the Bengals let Dalton go to another team, tag Green, re-sign most of our free agents, sign some uninspiring 3rd tier free agents. In other words about what the pessimists expect.

Then draft week comes and Burrow quietly tells the Bengals he doesn't want to come here and would prefer they trade the pick or select someone else. It would be a big PR blow if the Bengals kept the top pick but used it on someone else. They may not get an offer they like for the top pick that would keep them in range of Tua or Herbert. If they stay in the top 10 and get one of them, they could claim their draft process led to that pick. If they still pick Burrow, then it's a matter of who is more stubborn. Burrow only has to sit 12 months and he'll go back into the draft and likely be picked later by a better team. His rookie deal would be smaller but he may well have more career success and earnings. Maybe the Saints or Stealers trade up for him.

Meanwhile in Cincinnati, the team is likely heading for the top pick again. Without trying to tank, they will have a shot at Lawrence or Fields. They would have wasted their chance at Burrow and gotten nothing for it. Maybe Lawrence or Fields does the same thing or stays in school. 

Burrow using "leverage" to go elsewhere would be muy es bad for the league.
I assume the reason there hasn't been a rash of players pulling the Eli/Elway thing over the past 12 years is because there is no leverage.
No f'n way he sits a year.  Fuck the Palmers. Fuck Bartkowski and Fuck Hoosh if he's trying to put himself into this mess..

And if he somehow does end up balking - I hope its Miami.. That org is totally dysfunctional, fans are terrible and the stadium is a shithole.

6 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

If Joe has no exposure at all because, you know, he's not doing anything of note, those endorsements will be gone.  You really think people will give a shit about Joe while he's doing the media rounds as a regular citizen?  Do you think these hypothetical endorsers will be fine if they have nothing to market him with?  "Hey everybody, it's Joe!  Joe, what do you like to eat on Sundays?  [Joe]: Welp, I like Doritos, because when I'm on the couch stuffing my fat face while I watch football just like everyone else, Doritos really hit the spot!"

At best he'll be doing car commercials in Lousiana and doing guest commentary on LSU games.  If that gives him leverage then we have very different ideas of what leverage is.

That's why he'll privately ask the Bengals not to pick him. If they do pick him anyway and he doesn't want to play in Cincinnati, he'll still sign endorsement deals. What's the team going to do, leak that he doesn't want to be here? He'll simply not accept their offered contract. Until training camp starts, it won't be very noticeable. He may even participate in rookie camp and have offseason workouts with Bengal receivers. 

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

That's why he'll privately ask the Bengals not to pick him. If they do pick him anyway and he doesn't want to play in Cincinnati, he'll still sign endorsement deals. What's the team going to do, leak that he doesn't want to be here? He'll simply not accept their offered contract. Until training camp starts, it won't be very noticeable. He may even participate in rookie camp and have offseason workouts with Bengal receivers. 

Eh, the contract is slotted, there's nothing for him to reject.  There is no "leak".  If he doesn't play, it's because he doesn't want to be there, period.  This is not a winning path for him.  And to the idea that he "will just sit 12 months, so what?"... that's 12 months of not playing at all.  If Joe is comfortable doing that, his value will plummet because no team really wants a guy who will fuck over another team that badly, to their and *his* detriment.  As 666 said, players having that much sway over their own draft position has major implications for the entire league.  Who's to say Tua suddenly doesn't want to play in Miami?  Maybe he wants Dallas or bust?  "Fuck Miami, I'm not playing until the league makes me an FA or Miami trades my rights in 3 years!"

At the very best I'd see Joe being openly discouraged by being picked by the Bengals, and his handlers making up some sob story to try and save face, a la Steve Francis and the (then) Vancouver Grizzlies.  Thus, they'd try to force a trade after the fact.  The Bengals have no incentive to trade the pick - we the fans want Joe, period.  There is no level of propaganda that will convince any of us that the Bengals "just felt Tua/Herbert/Chase were 'better'".  There is no way for either side to save face and make it look natural.  You think if it's known Joe is trying to force his way out that the Bengals will get a fair deal for the pick?  Fuck no, it will be obvious they're getting shafted.  The thing we have to fear most is the league stepping in - this hasn't been a spot they've been able to exert much force up to now, but remember when Vick was apparently going to sign here and Goodell himself supposedly stepped in and stopped it?  For "the good of the league"?  I will not be surprised if that starts with draft picks, and the Bengals would be an obvious team to start it with.  I'm just not convinced we're there yet.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28726662/joe-burrow-says-bengals-no-1-draft-pick-leverage

Burrow, who grew up in Athens, Ohio, less than three hours east of Cincinnati, was intrigued by the idea of playing in the state where his parents still reside.

"It's an interesting [thought], going back home to Ohio," Burrow told KTCK-AM. "It would be a lot of fun. It would."

Burrow said being the No. 1 draft pick will be a "dream come true," but demurred when asked if he wants to go to the city that currently holds the top overall pick.

"I'd like to play football," Burrow said at a news conference. "So whoever takes me -- I'm a ballplayer, I'm gonna play."

Shut this bullshit down.

All he has to do is say one single time “I do not want to play for Cincinnati” and it’s all over with. 

He went from saying nothing, letting his dad speak for him, to now “I have leverage.” Any guesses to where this is heading?

He’s certainly not there yet but he’s closer to it than he was a week ago. One time is all it’ll take to burst everyone’s bubbles...because once he says it, there’s no going back. 

2 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

I want to extract the rest of the quote from the PFT thing just so what minimal context we're given is readily visible. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/17/former-no-1-overall-pick-advises-joe-burrow-to-pull-an-eli-manning/

The word "leverage" here does not have to be about Burrow's desire or non-desire to play in Cincinnati. That is just not in this quote. It can be inferred if someone wants to reach for that inference by force (as sports media like PFT are obviously going to do), but it's not even strongly implied.

Burrow is being bombarded constantly with two narratives, both of which must annoy the piss out of him:

1) You're the guaranteed, no-doubt, obvious, #1 overall pick.

He doesn't know this to be true, and it would probably feel premature and foolish to just jump in with that assumption. He is still working to be the best he can be for next year. He has the leverage to use his current position ("unique spot") to his greatest advantage by doing the work necessary to best prepare himself. And if after that work, they pick me, then they pick me. Until that moment, no assumption a good assumption.

2) You clearly don't want to play for the BENGALS do you???

What is he even supposed to do with this bullshit? He has pooh-poohed it, he has ignored it, he has deflected from it. He has even overtly stated that he would be happy to play for whoever is willing to pay him money. Nothing Joe Burrow says will shut this shit up, and he has probably realized that by now.

In fact, the use of "leverage" more closely refers to that he doesn't have to do the Combine or the Pro Day if he doesn't want to. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Um, yes. He'll sign endorsement deals before the draft and even more if he doesn't sign since he'll have more free time. He won't make a power play with the Bengals until after free agency and the week of the draft. 

Those deals will be contingent on him playing in the NFL, not sitting on his couch. 

Last year's #1 pick got a $23M signing bonus.  Joe Burrow staying home and doing ads for LSU fans might net him $100K.  No national company is going to ink him if he isn't playing and aren't stupid enough not to have conditions in their contracts.  If he refuses to play in "X" city there will be many who will despise him for doing it.  It would probably hurt his earning power forever.  Yes, he has some leverage.  He could screw himself and refuse to sign giving up a ton of money.  These guys only have so many years to play and pissing away somewhere between $10 and $20M one year is dumb as hell. 

4 hours ago, BurnsBengal said:

About the same length of time anyone gave two shits about Mike Brown.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Those deals will be contingent on him playing in the NFL, not sitting on his couch. 

No, they'll be contingent on Burrow showing up to shoot the commercial. He's already coming off the best season in college football history. He's a hot item for advertisers and can be picky. That may change if he publicly has a fight with the Bengals but the public at large isn't going to side with Mike Brown over Joe Burrow, even in Cincinnati.

Archived