Ridiculous Dan Patrick BS

"Leverage" implies that there's some kind of negotiation to be had, but there isn't.  I'm sure the team would tell him whatever he wants to hear but that has no bearing on what they actually do in the end.  He can choose to believe the happy horseshit or he can throw away millions.  Any noise he makes outside of that is meaningless. 

55 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

"Leverage" implies that there's some kind of negotiation to be had, but there isn't.  I'm sure the team would tell him whatever he wants to hear but that has no bearing on what they actually do in the end.  He can choose to believe the happy horseshit or he can throw away millions.  Any noise he makes outside of that is meaningless. 

I am not as certain as that on this matter, this team has been at times an outright embarrassment and if for some reason. Turow decides not to sign or to take his sweet time about it I think pressure would mount on the Tree Sloth and possibly from the league itself

14 hours ago, sparky151 said:

No, they'll be contingent on Burrow showing up to shoot the commercial. He's already coming off the best season in college football history. He's a hot item for advertisers and can be picky. That may change if he publicly has a fight with the Bengals but the public at large isn't going to side with Mike Brown over Joe Burrow, even in Cincinnati.

You do realize this is 2020?  Endorsement deals are more than showing up and shooting a commercial.  These guys are expected to be brand ambassadors if they want the big bucks.  Social media stuff, show up for appearances, etc.  He's getting none of that if he is not playing.

No way to know where this kid's head is. Who's pressuring him to go Cincy vs who's pressuring him to opt out.

The NFL has huge stakes in the draft circus. Players taking control of their cash cow can't be to their liking.. Right now it's free attention but if it actually happens its gotta be a bit of black eye to the league. 

The kid has to have a "favorite team" - anyone know who that is?

From a Athletic article this morning:

Why does the national media seem to think the Bengals are the worst landing spot possible for Joe Burrow, yet they’ve outperformed half the league over the last decade, Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton had a lot of success, and while they don’t sign big-name free agents, they spend tons of money to retain their own. Is the narrative fair? — Eric S.

It’s not just the media who act like the Bengals are some sort of NFL outlier. That’s the feeling from many people in the league, from agents to executives who deal with the Bengals. Cincinnati just operates differently than most teams; its scouting staff is small and it doesn’t engage in free agency in the same way most teams do. Marvin Lewis performed a miracle to make that team relevant for as long as he did, and Zac Taylor inherited a pretty bad situation in his first year as a head coach. I don’t want to write off Taylor yet, but I believe Burrow (an Ohio native) sees those things and is hearing those things, which would explain his lukewarm reaction to questions about the Bengals.

13 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

From a Athletic article this morning:

Why does the national media seem to think the Bengals are the worst landing spot possible for Joe Burrow, yet they’ve outperformed half the league over the last decade, Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton had a lot of success, and while they don’t sign big-name free agents, they spend tons of money to retain their own. Is the narrative fair? — Eric S.

It’s not just the media who act like the Bengals are some sort of NFL outlier. That’s the feeling from many people in the league, from agents to executives who deal with the Bengals. Cincinnati just operates differently than most teams; its scouting staff is small and it doesn’t engage in free agency in the same way most teams do. Marvin Lewis performed a miracle to make that team relevant for as long as he did, and Zac Taylor inherited a pretty bad situation in his first year as a head coach. I don’t want to write off Taylor yet, but I believe Burrow (an Ohio native) sees those things and is hearing those things, which would explain his lukewarm reaction to questions about the Bengals.

While it is a bit more carefully reasoned than a lot of the other dreck being peddled, it is still a whole lot of conjecture. 

Any reasonable time looking deeply at these things tells us we shouldn't pay any attention to the national media on this issue. He is friends with Sam Hubbard, he is from Ohio and his family is excited about him playing nearby, his GF lives nearby and one of his coaches from college is on the Bengals staff. www.bengals.com/team/coaches-roster/brad-kragthorpe. AND somehow another team that would pick him in the top ten is a great organization? Why in the world does Miami get credit for trading away 2 young quality players at 2 of the most important positions of need in the league to acquire draft picks that are very likely to be nowhere near as good as the players they traded. The National media is awful.

24 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Any reasonable time looking deeply at these things tells us we shouldn't pay any attention to the national media on this issue. He is friends with Sam Hubbard, he is from Ohio and his family is excited about him playing nearby, his GF lives nearby and one of his coaches from college is on the Bengals staff. www.bengals.com/team/coaches-roster/brad-kragthorpe. AND somehow another team that would pick him in the top ten is a great organization? Why in the world does Miami get credit for trading away 2 young quality players at 2 of the most important positions of need in the league to acquire draft picks that are very likely to be nowhere near as good as the players they traded. The National media is awful.

Thank you!  This is what gets lost in the narrative that Miami is in this incredible power position to rebuild, and are some kind of genius org because they have all these picks.  Guys, they traded away a young top-shelf safety and a good, young starting LT for those picks.  Both of them went and played fantastically for their new teams.  Miami simply traded away two sure things for a handful of yanks at the slot machine.  Will it pay off?  Maybe.  Was it in any way shrewd?  Hell no.

Bengals are perpetually midlevel spenders anymore.. I'm sure Bobby Hart's agent must be over the moon w Cincy.

Carson got a monster contract in what 05 or 06?. They even brought in his brother.

Dalton gets to pick his next team.

Remind me again about the commitment to not spending. Fuck Palmer.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a blatant hit job in my entire life.

At the same time though, I absolutely love all of the negative attention MB is getting on the national level right now.

Not to mention, I could definitely get on board with going ahead and taking the first 3 rounds of Miami's draft off of their hands for them. I'd just draft Tua and keep Dalton for one last year. 

I don't know if I've ever been this ambivalent about the Bengals in my entire life lol.

Good times right now!

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a blatant hit job in my entire life.

At the same time though, I absolutely love all of the negative attention MB is getting on the national level right now.

Not to mention, I could definitely get on board with going ahead and taking the first 3 rounds of Miami's draft off of their hands for them. I'd just draft Tua and keep Dalton for one last year. 

I don't know if I've ever been this ambivalent about the Bengals in my entire life lol.

Good times right now!

With any luck the team will take it personally 

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

With any luck the team will take it personally 

They f'ing should! Every single player on that team should be taking it personally and speaking out right now. So far I've only seen Boyd and Mixon. That needs to change. 

11 minutes ago, spicoli said:

They f'ing should! Every single player on that team should be taking it personally and speaking out right now. So far I've only seen Boyd and Mixon. That needs to change. 

Meh, talk is cheap.  I mean on the field. Their spicy takes on Twitter or whatever don't mean shit.

22 hours ago, membengal said:

Execs and agents. Execs will be salty because the Bengals drive a hard line in trade deals, and agents - who obviously have an axe to grind over the team's approach to not paying any sort of premium in FA. 

They don't have an axe to grind, they have their own interests in mind.  A superstar in Cincinnati is much less valuable to the league and an agent than in a big market.  I'm sure none of them like Mike Brown, but who does?  I'm sure there are plenty of other jackwagon GMs that drive agents crazy.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Meh, talk is cheap.  I mean on the field. Their spicy takes on Twitter or whatever don't mean shit.

I think we have seen in the recent past that this team lacks the type of player that has to true desire to win. Too much complacency and lack of accountability. We need more players of the the Mixon Boyd type, I believe Burrows is one of those.  The large caveat will always be that even if the current personnel department wants to succeed, t is significantly undermanned by even average standards so the chance of success diminishes. 

Taylor has twice spoken about using FA more effectively to supplement the draft but ML said that his last few years as well. Actions speak louder than words. 

Archived