Ridiculous Dan Patrick BS

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think we have seen in the recent past that this team lacks the type of player that has to true desire to win. Too much complacency and lack of accountability. We need more players of the the Mixon Boyd type, I believe Burrows is one of those.  The large caveat will always be that even if the current personnel department wants to succeed, t is significantly undermanned by even average standards so the chance of success diminishes. 

Taylor has twice spoken about using FA more effectively to supplement the draft but ML said that his last few years as well. Actions speak louder than words. 

My point exactly.  For example talking a lot about "changing the culture" then everyone tumbles out of a clown car on game day.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:59 PM, BENGALS666 said:

Burrow using "leverage" to go elsewhere would be muy es bad for the league.
I assume the reason there hasn't been a rash of players pulling the Eli/Elway thing over the past 12 years is because there is no leverage.
No f'n way he sits a year.  Fuck the Palmers. Fuck Bartkowski and Fuck Hoosh if he's trying to put himself into this mess..

And if he somehow does end up balking - I hope its Miami.. That org is totally dysfunctional, fans are terrible and the stadium is a shithole.

Actually, the best thing that could happen for the league is for Burrow to go somewhere else.  They are 2 or 3 teams in the league nobody but die hard fans give a shit about. The Bengals are one of them. 

The league would love for Burrow to go to Miami over Cincinnati because Miami has WAY more national appeal and history.   Nobody from the national media wants to come here preseason and do stories on the New Look Bengals.  

Just now, SF2 said:

Actually, the best thing that could happen to the league is for Burrow to go somewhere else.  They are 2 or 3 teams in the league nobody but die hard fans give a shit about. The Bengals are one of them. 

The league would love for Burrow to go to Miami over Cincinnati because Miami has WAY more national appeal and history.   

I don't think he means it's bad for the bottom line/business of the league wrt Joe specfically, moreso it is a bad precedent for every team that players are dictating where they go.  Every team suddenly has to be scared of this hypothetical "leverage".  Like I and others have said before, if what's best for the bottom line of the league is going to be the top priority in all things, then they might as well just dictate where players go and tell the "forever bad" teams to suck it.  The NBA has very much veered in this direction.  Hell, today I saw a headline arguing how the Lakers can bring in Giannis next season.  I mean do people actually want that kind of horseshit to happen?

The reality is all leagues have created a sort of catch-22 for themselves, in that expanding your league to many (diluted) teams brings in more revenue, but then optimizing the revenue seems to tend toward "favouring" the teams that people spend the most money on.  It both demonstrates and spits in the face of the fact that a smaller, more talent-concentrated league is way better for the fans.

19 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I don't think he means it's bad for the bottom line/business of the league wrt Joe specfically, moreso it is a bad precedent for every team that players are dictating where they go.  Every team suddenly has to be scared of this hypothetical "leverage".  Like I and others have said before, if what's best for the bottom line of the league is going to be the top priority in all things, then they might as well just dictate where players go and tell the "forever bad" teams to suck it.  The NBA has very much veered in this direction.  Hell, today I saw a headline arguing how the Lakers can bring in Giannis next season.  I mean do people actually want that kind of horseshit to happen?

The reality is all leagues have created a sort of catch-22 for themselves, in that expanding your league to many (diluted) teams brings in more revenue, but then optimizing the revenue seems to tend toward "favouring" the teams that people spend the most money on.  It both demonstrates and spits in the face of the fact that a smaller, more talent-concentrated league is way better for the fans.

I agree but the issue with the Bengals has little to do with talent dilution. The hard salary cap and draft process should prevent what has happened with this club, Detroit and Cleveland the last 30 years. The club does little to sell the league to the public and the media, who spend billions on the NFL punishes them for it. 

Inept ownership from a football operations perspective and lack of marketable players  is why the Bengals are ill thought off.  The only time anyone gave us a second thought was when Chad and Burfict played here. The media cared more about Shake and Blake than Andy and AJ.   

The other issue is what Eli and Elway did was absolutely the best decision for them AND the league. NYG won 2 Super Bowls while San Diego now plays 16 away games. The Broncos were a powerhouse with Elway while Balt Colts sucked, moved to Indy and became irrelevant.  Both teams are huge media darlings and the teams they rebuked still suck. 

I am sure if you asked everyone associated with reporting on, selling, broadcasting, and working in and around the league who they would rather see win a Super Bowl first, 90% plus would pick Miami or Detroit over Cincy. The Brown family is not liked among those who market and sell the league. 

20 hours ago, SF2 said:

Actually, the best thing that could happen for the league is for Burrow to go somewhere else.  They are 2 or 3 teams in the league nobody but die hard fans give a shit about. The Bengals are one of them. 

The league would love for Burrow to go to Miami over Cincinnati because Miami has WAY more national appeal and history.   Nobody from the national media wants to come here preseason and do stories on the New Look Bengals.  

I lived in Miami for 25 years. Talk about a place where the fans simply don't care. That stadium is typically filled up half or more with fans of the opposing team. That history is of the ancient variety. None of those people remember the undefeated season. Yeah the town is a vacation spot but that team is hardly a national concern. Probably just a few more fans than Cincy and much more of the fairweather variety..

12 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

I lived in Miami for 25 years. Talk about a place where the fans simply don't care. That stadium is typically filled up half or more with fans of the opposing team. That history is of the ancient variety. None of those people remember the undefeated season. Yeah the town is a vacation spot but that team is hardly a national concern. Probably just a few more fans than Cincy and much more of the fairweather variety..

They sold 97% of their tickets in a season everyone knew they were tanking compared to Cincy’s 72%. It’s a huge market. They outdrew Cincy by 16,000 per game. 

You are right they have ancient history. 2 Super Bowl wins, 4 appearances and 20 playoff wins.  That is infinitely better than ours. The Bengal don’t have any history other than being the 49ers bitch twice. 5 playoff wins in 52 years.  Only 3 seasons with a playoff win all 30 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

They sold 97% of their tickets in a season everyone knew they were tanking compared to Cincy’s 72%. It’s a huge market. They outdrew Cincy by 16,000 per game. 

You are right they have ancient history. 2 Super Bowl wins, 4 appearances and 20 playoff wins.  That is infinitely better than ours. The Bengal don’t have any history other than being the 49ers bitch twice. 5 playoff wins in 52 years.  Only 3 seasons with a playoff win all 30 years ago. 

Yeah, i remember a long long while back on this forum, i mentioned that the Bengals have zero history to speak of and someone responded to me like i slapped their mother.  There is simply is simply nothing good to to note about this franchise.  There is an obvious problem with ownership.  Now, not only do the fans know it, but everyone else does as well.  Would be great to see the league force a sale of this team.   

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I agree but the issue with the Bengals has little to do with talent dilution. The hard salary cap and draft process should prevent what has happened with this club, Detroit and Cleveland the last 30 years. The club does little to sell the league to the public and the media, who spend billions on the NFL punishes them for it. 

Inept ownership from a football operations perspective and lack of marketable players  is why the Bengals are ill thought off.  The only time anyone gave us a second thought was when Chad and Burfict played here. The media cared more about Shake and Blake than Andy and AJ.   

The other issue is what Eli and Elway did was absolutely the best decision for them AND the league. NYG won 2 Super Bowls while San Diego now plays 16 away games. The Broncos were a powerhouse with Elway while Balt Colts sucked, moved to Indy and became irrelevant.  Both teams are huge media darlings and the teams they rebuked still suck. 

I am sure if you asked everyone associated with reporting on, selling, broadcasting, and working in and around the league who they would rather see win a Super Bowl first, 90% plus would pick Miami or Detroit over Cincy. The Brown family is not liked among those who market and sell the league. 

Everything you say here is true, but one thing the NFL has going for them is they dominate the players.  The last thing the NFL wants is for players to have more "leverage" negotiating with teams.  Yes, short-term everyone would like to see Burrow somewhere other than Cincinnati.  Long-term players having the ability to screw with the system is bad for the NFL.

40 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Yeah, i remember a long long while back on this forum, i mentioned that the Bengals have zero history to speak of and someone responded to me like i slapped their mother.  There is simply is simply nothing good to to note about this franchise.  There is an obvious problem with ownership.  Now, not only do the fans know it, but everyone else does as well.  Would be great to see the league force a sale of this team.   

We drafted the best Offensive lineman in the history of the game.

We were founded by an NFL legend and innovative genius

We created the genius of Bill Walsh

We invented the muddle-huddle

We have the best uniforms in the NFL

21 hours ago, SF2 said:

Just look at the location of the most recent Super Bowl, the NFL is in business with the city of Miami....not so much for Cincy, the Brown family won't even invest in a practice bubble to protect the players from the weather. 

I am skeptical that Burrow will try to force his way out of being a Bengal for several reasons.  Nearly all of the chatter is coming from either national media folks who want him to do it or from people with axes to grind (Palmer, etc.).  I don't believe the league wants players dictating where they go in the draft and the odds of forgoing a huge payday to sit out a whole year are slim.  Trying to convince Mike Brown not to take him would probably be futile.  More likely he'd be looking at a draft and trade scenario, which also faces long odds since the Bengals are not easy trade partners and he could get shipped somewhere he also doesn't like.  I just don't see it being worth the effort or cost for Burrow to make the move.  

I have mixed emotions.  On one hand, I am all for Mike Brown being embarrassed, as he is the worst owner in professional sports.  On the other hand, Cincy put together enough good drafts to win with Carson Palmer at qb.  Yes, the injury sucked, but he can't say he didn't have an opportunity to win.  HE squandered that chance and he should probably just shut the hell up.  Same with TJ.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

You know those Bengals home games when its the end of the season, they have 5 wins and The Stealers in town and their asshole fans have taken over the stadium? That's Miami all season long. 

1 hour ago, BENGALS666 said:

You know those Bengals home games when its the end of the season, they have 5 wins and The Stealers in town and their asshole fans have taken over the stadium? That's Miami all season long. 

I don't disagree with you about the current state of the Dolphins but winning could change all that and it is a HUGE market for the NFL compared to Cincy.   From a marketing standpoint a good team in South Beach with a marketable star is way more desirable for the league. 

I seriously doubt Burrow will pull any shit to avoid being a Bengals to be quite honest, I think it is just wishful thinking by everyone that doesn't like the Brown family to include most of the owners who had to be happy he voted no on the new CBA. 

7 hours ago, bfine said:

We drafted the best Offensive lineman in the history of the game.

We were founded by an NFL legend and innovative genius

We created the genius of Bill Walsh

We invented the muddle-huddle

We have the best uniforms in the NFL

This question was just answered well by Dehner in the Athletic:

Here we go.

qB5B9e--_bigger.jpeg

All right #Bengals fans, it's been quite a week.

You've probably got questions and need a release or distraction or maybe 157 pounds of marijuana.

Either way, drop some questions on me and I'll put together a mailbag answering as many as I can.

What is the one philosophical change you'd push for with both the staff and front office?

Love this question, John. Of the 65 I received, this is my favorite. I have no reward other than kudos in print, but kudos nonetheless.

It’s hard to pick just one specific philosophical change because there are several I’d like to alter, but I have to say a change to the approach of how they create pride in the organization. This branches out to relationships with former players, current players, fans and gameday environment.

You look right down the road at the Reds. Baseball is different. Even when the team loses, you drink a couple beers and have a great time at the ballpark. In football, if the team loses, it ruins the experience. On-field is the defining element in football. Baseball is much more defined by off-field. That said, the Reds have been a worse team on the field than the Bengals in this town over the last few decades, but you would never know it by the way people view them, talk about them or support them. That comes from the sense of community they create through things like the caravan, Redsfest, the community fund events, the Hall of Fame, celebrating club history and constant thought and money poured into making the customer experience great when people come to games.

The Bengals lack greatly in every single one of those areas and it creates an adversarial relationship with the fan base, specifically when the team is just OK or not winning.

Their philosophy is that if the team wins, the fans will come. That’s inherently true. But if they cared more about the customer they are trying to draw in, they’d also have more support when the team loses.

This stuff takes time to create – decades even – it can be generational. But spending more time marketing your star players, putting on fun events the community loves, spending your own money more often to improve PBS, regularly bringing out a former player on gameday, celebrating current players with huge posters on/around the stadium and, yes, adding a Hall of Fame or Ring of Honor.

This would all create more of a sense of pride and community with the Bengals being in this together and being a better corporate citizen, a criticism often deservedly levied against them in recent years.

I don’t have much problem with who they have been on the field. They haven’t won enough, but as many have pointed out to national folks this week, they’ve been in the mix and a break or play away from making a serious run that significantly alters the perception of them.

They could be better on the field. But they need to be significantly better off of it. That goes back to philosophy.

53 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This question was just answered well by Dehner in the Athletic:

Here we go.

qB5B9e--_bigger.jpeg

All right #Bengals fans, it's been quite a week.

You've probably got questions and need a release or distraction or maybe 157 pounds of marijuana.

Either way, drop some questions on me and I'll put together a mailbag answering as many as I can.

What is the one philosophical change you'd push for with both the staff and front office?

Love this question, John. Of the 65 I received, this is my favorite. I have no reward other than kudos in print, but kudos nonetheless.

It’s hard to pick just one specific philosophical change because there are several I’d like to alter, but I have to say a change to the approach of how they create pride in the organization. This branches out to relationships with former players, current players, fans and gameday environment.

You look right down the road at the Reds. Baseball is different. Even when the team loses, you drink a couple beers and have a great time at the ballpark. In football, if the team loses, it ruins the experience. On-field is the defining element in football. Baseball is much more defined by off-field. That said, the Reds have been a worse team on the field than the Bengals in this town over the last few decades, but you would never know it by the way people view them, talk about them or support them. That comes from the sense of community they create through things like the caravan, Redsfest, the community fund events, the Hall of Fame, celebrating club history and constant thought and money poured into making the customer experience great when people come to games.

The Bengals lack greatly in every single one of those areas and it creates an adversarial relationship with the fan base, specifically when the team is just OK or not winning.

Their philosophy is that if the team wins, the fans will come. That’s inherently true. But if they cared more about the customer they are trying to draw in, they’d also have more support when the team loses.

This stuff takes time to create – decades even – it can be generational. But spending more time marketing your star players, putting on fun events the community loves, spending your own money more often to improve PBS, regularly bringing out a former player on gameday, celebrating current players with huge posters on/around the stadium and, yes, adding a Hall of Fame or Ring of Honor.

This would all create more of a sense of pride and community with the Bengals being in this together and being a better corporate citizen, a criticism often deservedly levied against them in recent years.

I don’t have much problem with who they have been on the field. They haven’t won enough, but as many have pointed out to national folks this week, they’ve been in the mix and a break or play away from making a serious run that significantly alters the perception of them.

They could be better on the field. But they need to be significantly better off of it. That goes back to philosophy.

Solid points but: I don't need Paul Dehner to tell me what the one change the Bengals need to make; as I'm sure I've followed this team longer and closer than he has and my "insight" is not dependent on how many reads I can get.

The biggest problem is we run a "mom and pop" organization. The fact that we do not have an indoor practice facility is ridiculous. The fact that Mikey screwed the city on the concessions deal is criminal. The fact that we do not treat everyone of our players as champions is petty. But none of that changes the fact that when folks assert the organization has done "nothing" is out right wrong. 

Archived