Ridiculous Dan Patrick BS

March 2017 the team famously tries to low ball Whitworth, then signs Dre Kirkpatrick to a contract worth over $50 million.   Whatever "philosophy" or "culture" was behind that decision process is the one that needs to change.  Everything else flows from that same source, the lack of a Ring of Honor or practice bubble down to sending season ticket holders stale bags of popcorn.  They simply don't know what makes a championship NFL franchise, let alone how to become one.  

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

March 2017 the team famously tries to low ball Whitworth, then signs Dre Kirkpatrick to a contract worth over $50 million.   Whatever "philosophy" or "culture" was behind that decision process is the one that needs to change.  Everything else flows from that same source, the lack of a Ring of Honor or practice bubble down to sending season ticket holders stale bags of popcorn.  They simply don't know what makes a championship NFL franchise, let alone how to become one.  

Someone gave the Brown family extremely bad advice as to the value of both players.  Maybe the O line coach who directed the team to pick two high round losers in the draft?  The same coach that had been there for years with little success to show for it?  The coach that Marvin Lewis finally convinced the Brown family to fire? 

Mike Brown runs the team the way his daddy did.  It was good enough in 1974 so it's good enough now.  :ninja:

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Someone gave the Brown family extremely bad advice as to the value of both players.  Maybe the O line coach who directed the team to pick two high round losers in the draft?  The same coach that had been there for years with little success to show for it?  The coach that Marvin Lewis finally convinced the Brown family to fire? 

Mike Brown runs the team the way his daddy did.  It was good enough in 1974 so it's good enough now.  :ninja:

Maybe, but the negotiations were with Troy Blackburn & I doubt the OL coach had anything to do with extending Pacman Jr.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe, but the negotiations were with Troy Blackburn & I doubt the OL coach had anything to do with extending Pacman Jr.

I seriously hope the Bengals don't let Troy Blackburn do anything for the organization other than being the coffee gopher.

But if Troy did the negotiations, that explains a lot.

Dre probably unleashed the one eye trouser snake and it was luv at first site for Troy.

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I seriously hope the Bengals don't let Troy Blackburn do anything for the organization other than being the coffee gopher.

But if Troy did the negotiations, that explains a lot.

. Andrew called Pat back at dinner that night and said, “I really don’t want to go anywhere else. I want to finish my career in Cincinnati, but their offer isn’t even competitive with the others. Can you reach out to them and see if they will increase their offer?” The answer hit us like a ton of bricks… “Andrew, here’s the text I just received from Troy Blackburn (one of the Bengals’ owners),” Pat’s text read. “I wanted you to read it for yourself. I’m sorry.” “We don’t have Andrew valued at that price,” Blackburn said. “He is an aging left tackle. Our offer stands. It will not increase. If he chooses to leave Cincinnati, all good things must come to an end, I guess.”

These clueless fucks couldn't pour piss out of a boot with picture instructions printed on the heel. 

Zac Taylor's changing the culture though   :lmao:

1 minute ago, thezerawkid said:

Can anyone find a link to the “leverage” quote? Like, coming out of his mouth? Cause, I cannot.

No, as far as I can tell he didn't actually say it the way it was eventually presented.  I linked to the video of the actual interview where the reporter was trying to get him to flat out say he didn't want to play for the Bengals.  If he had said it, then the reporter that wrote the original article would have included that as part of the video.  The original reporter mentioned that draft picks have no leverage and that if he didn't want to play for the Bengals then he needed to flat out say so and be prepared to look bad for a little while.  It was actually other reporters who were reporting on the original story that started the "I have leverage" BS.  Either the 2nd reporter from the Fort Worth Star Telegram (Drew Davison) or the dude from PFT (Charean Williams) that added that quote, not the original reporter from the Fort Worth Start Telegram (Mat Engel) because it's not in the original story.  Once it hit PFT though, everyone considered it the gospel truth because it fits the narrative that they want to push nationally.

7 hours ago, BBR said:

No, as far as I can tell he didn't actually say it the way it was eventually presented.  I linked to the video of the actual interview where the reporter was trying to get him to flat out say he didn't want to play for the Bengals.  If he had said it, then the reporter that wrote the original article would have included that as part of the video.  The original reporter mentioned that draft picks have no leverage and that if he didn't want to play for the Bengals then he needed to flat out say so and be prepared to look bad for a little while.  It was actually other reporters who were reporting on the original story that started the "I have leverage" BS.  Either the 2nd reporter from the Fort Worth Star Telegram (Drew Davison) or the dude from PFT (Charean Williams) that added that quote, not the original reporter from the Fort Worth Start Telegram (Mat Engel) because it's not in the original story.  Once it hit PFT though, everyone considered it the gospel truth because it fits the narrative that they want to push nationally.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I have read the quote, “‘I do have leverage,’ Burrow told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. ‘They have their process and I have my process. We haven't even gotten to the (NFL Scouting) Combine yet. There's a lot of things that happen leading up to the draft and a lot of information gathered.’”

I have also watched the clip, and, you can clearly watch/hear him say everything FROM “They have their process...”, but he says it in direct response to the interviewer’s question. Unless the video was meticulously edited to exclude that comment, or, unless they asked the question again, without cameras rolling, there is some serious explaining to be done.

The way this story has unfolded, as a ridiculous and unfounded hit job, the national sports journalists’ wet dream that it is, I wouldn’t doubt something so egregious as an entirely fabricated quote.

8 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Can anyone find a link to the “leverage” quote? Like, coming out of his mouth? Cause, I cannot.

Here's the rest of the leverage quote:

“Right now, I’m focused on being the best player I can be. I’m in this unique spot. You can go watch my film. I don’t have to prove myself at pro day & at the combine, so I’m in a unique spot where I can focus on getting ready for the year.”

Leverage in the context of his answer was him saying that he didn't have to do all the drills etc at combine. Media ran with that in an entirely different direction to suit their needs and narrative. 

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Leverage in the context of his answer was him saying that he didn't have to do all the drills etc at combine. Media ran with that in an entirely different direction to suit their needs and narrative. 

Oh, okay. But, interestingly, I still don't see the word "leverage" come out of his mouth. So, I totally see and buy the intimation, but I don't see any proof Joe Burrow ever said "I do have leverage."

4 hours ago, membengal said:

Journalistic integri-what now?  Pushing a damned narrative is right.  Sweet, sweet sports journo tears.  So delicious yew guise

The more shit they talk the more I love the pick.  I hope he's a good player & stuff.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

He said it before that. 

He didn’t say it in the video used as the basis for the original article. 

The original journalist that did the interview did not mention him saying that exact quote. 

It was only said in those exact words and attributed to Joe Burrow by reporters that were basing their stories off of the original interview. An interview which they weren’t present for and was conducted by someone unaffiliated with them or their organizations. 

The original journalist made it very clear that he did not want Joe to play for the Bengals. If he had actually said it, he would have used it in his original story. 

When you look at all of those things together, you can see how all of this just a bunch of BS. 

7 minutes ago, BBR said:

He didn’t say it in the video used as the basis for the original article. 

The original journalist that did the interview did not mention him saying that exact quote. 

It was only said in those exact words and attributed to Joe Burrow by reporters that were basing their stories off of the original interview. An interview which they weren’t present for and was conducted by someone unaffiliated with them or their organizations. 

The original journalist made it very clear that he did not want Joe to play for the Bengals. If he had actually said it, he would have used it in his original story. 

When you look at all of those things together, you can see how all of this just a bunch of BS. 

What all this should be telling our FO is that they better make damned sure they protect him, because the league's zebras definitely won't.  They'd like nothing more than to blame the Bengals for ruining him jUsT lIkE pOoR cArSoN pAlMeR!!1  :cry-min:   

Our two Joes need to become superbest friends.  If I'm Burrow I'd be finding out what Mixon drinks and shipping him a case.

Noooobody is against the Bengals intentionally when football games are played.  The media, however, is definitely on a crusade and it has become en vogue to crack on the Bengals.  This is despite plenty of evidence, that on the field over the past 10-15 years, they have been far far from the worst team.  There have been plenty of talking heads (Chris Broussard, Kiper, Prisco, Peter King) that have explained this.  There are far more though, that cant wait to get on that hate train.  Draft Burrow, win big time games, and give them a big fat middle finger fuck you salute.  Thats the only way it changes.    

23 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Noooobody is against the Bengals intentionally when football games are played. 

Maybe not but those guys watch ESPN too & I'd bet most have a negative opinion of the Bengals.  Whether that opinion is deserved or not, everyone is subject to confirmation bias. 

No question the team has done very little as of late to change that perception outside a coaching change that has yet to show for anything.  

I think they should target their favorite A/B-list free agent and pull out all the stops, at least make it a close race with any other interested teams.  They don't need to sign the guy so much as they need to be seen making a no-shit best effort to compete.  I don't think they understand the necessity of dipping into the FA pool when a team gets in a hole like this one?  Building through the draft only works when you have consistently average or better drafts. 

To the same end, rolling out the red carpet for Burrow would go a long way towards helping their image.

33 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe not but those guys watch ESPN too & I'd bet most have a negative opinion of the Bengals.  Whether that opinion is deserved or not, everyone is subject to confirmation bias. 

No question the team has done very little as of late to change that perception outside a coaching change that has yet to show for anything.  

I think they should target their favorite A/B-list free agent and pull out all the stops, at least make it a close race with any other interested teams.  They don't need to sign the guy so much as they need to be seen making a no-shit best effort to compete.  I don't think they understand the necessity of dipping into the FA pool when a team gets in a hole like this one?  Building through the draft only works when you have consistently average or better drafts. 

To the same end, rolling out the red carpet for Burrow would go a long way towards helping their image.

Doug Gottlieb, who i really can give or take, essentially said the same thing.  Free Agency "fails" roughly 66% percent of the time.  Its not about that though, its about showing the effort.  He was specifically referencing the Bengals and Burrow during that segment.  I totally agree and think you are spot on.  

As far as the media's love affair with the Bengals is concerned the real issue is MOST of the owners simply do not like Mike Brown and company.  Most of the media members have very close relationships with with the teams they report on or most teams in general when it comes to national media and announcers.  The owners not only think he is a grifter, he is an annoying know it all as well.  He was one of the only owners to vote no on the new CBA according to some Kat that used to work in Cincinnati.  I wonder who told her?  (hint: she owns the Saints)

You know its bad when Collinsworth, who is genuinely one of the nicest guys I have ever met and played in both Cincy Superbowls , barely mentions the club. 

The Bengals will never get any respect until they win.  Even though the Browns suck worse, they look like they are trying and Haslam has spent a lot of his money on the club and his alma mater Tennessee.  

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

As far as the media's love affair with the Bengals is concerned the real issue is MOST of the owners simply do not like Mike Brown and company.  Most of the media members have very close relationships with with the teams they report on or most teams in general when it comes to national media and announcers.  The owners not only think he is a grifter, he is an annoying know it all as well.  He was one of the only owners to vote no on the new CBA according to some Kat that used to work in Cincinnati.  I wonder who told her?  (hint: she owns the Saints)

You know its bad when Collinsworth, who is genuinely one of the nicest guys I have ever met and played in both Cincy Superbowls , barely mentions the club. 

The Bengals will never get any respect until they win.  Even though the Browns suck worse, they look like they are trying and Haslam has spent a lot of his money on the club and his alma mater Tennessee.  

No doubt. They must win to change the narrative. 

Now, maybe some will look for something else to fabricate:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/25/joe-burrow-says-he-will-play-for-the-bengals-if-they-draft-him/

Joe Burrow had danced around the question for weeks, mainly because no one had ever asked him directly about playing for the Bengals. He was asked THE question Tuesday during the media interviews at the Combine:

If the Bengals draft you, will you play for them?

“Yeah, I mean I’m not going to not play,” Burrow said. “I’m a ball player. Whoever picks me, I’m going to go show up.”

Archived