Matt Miller: It's Burrow

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2876125-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-bengals-set-on-joe-burrow-so-whats-next

The Cincinnati Bengals own the No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft and have numerous strong options for how to use the selection, but sources connected to both college football and the NFL say the team has already decided who the pick will be.

LSU's Joe Burrow.

Over the last two weeks in various conversations with coaches at LSU, scouts, decision-makers across the NFL and agents who represent top quarterbacks, it has become quite clear that Burrow will be the selection.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

They are taking Burrow for sure? Good, then they aren’t complete idiots. :lol: 

I mean, Miller did leave open the door a crack if they get some kind of crazy offer - but he also sourced this to LSU coaches who, I assume,  have talked to Bengals coaches already about Burrow. Based on how we are seeing Hobson write about Burrow, and Lap/Hoard talk about Burrow, this just confirms what we all should already know. Barring some crazy offer or, god forbid, an injury/tragedy, it will be Burrow. As it should be.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

I mean, Miller did leave open the door a crack if they get some kind of crazy offer - but he also sourced this to LSU coaches who, I assume,  have talked to Bengals coaches already about Burrow. Based on how we are seeing Hobson write about Burrow, and Lap/Hoard talk about Burrow, this just confirms what we all should already know. Barring some crazy offer or, god forbid, an injury/tragedy, it will be Burrow. As it should be.

In doing their due diligence, the Bengals SHOULD leave the door open.  You never know what kind of offer may come down the track. 

Historically, however, the Bengal's M.O. is to make a decision on a player...and convince themselves that "he is the one" and "we must have him."  They render themselves unable to recognize the potential for a shrewd decision if it hit them in the face (See Akili Smith).

16 hours ago, Jason said:

They are taking Burrow for sure? Good, then they aren’t complete idiots. :lol: 

They'll be idiots if they pick him and he's a total bust at the NFL level. Which would be just dandy for the bengal hating sports pundits since they will say it's obviously be the Bengals' fault. Everybody is jacking off over the shiny new toy while our defense needs a lot of help and the OL isn't ready for a new franchise QB. It sucks that they don't have a choice with this pick. Let's talk in a couple of years when we're looking for a new QB.

Burrow should be the pick. This offseason should be about making sure he's successful from the start. That means upgrading the O-line. The defense could also be fixed this year too but that's probably too much to expect from a team run by the Brown family. At the very least they should make sure the O-line moves up to average and avoid getting Burrow Klinglerized. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Burrow should be the pick. This offseason should be about making sure he's successful from the start. That means upgrading the O-line. The defense could also be fixed this year too but that's probably too much to expect from a team run by the Brown family. At the very least they should make sure the O-line moves up to average and avoid getting Burrow Klinglerized. 

Exactly. Dufus Tobin has already said “the roster needs help” but I have little confidence they will make the necessary moves in free agency to make an impact. They always fall back to their own draft and FA scraps. BUT they could at least build an OL to help the new QB

Most recent Ross Tucker pod is well worth a listen - he had Greg Cosell on and entire pod was discussion of Burrow, Tua and Herbert with some dalton talk as a bonus. Let’s just say after listening to that I am even more reticent about idea of trading back.

Listen to it - but upshot is that even if Tua were healthy Cosell’s opinion after film review is that Burrow is qb1 easily, the comp is Brady if he hits his high end potential, and the flags he raises over Herbert make me itchy if god forbid we traded back and took him.

13 hours ago, membengal said:

Most recent Ross Tucker pod is well worth a listen - he had Greg Cosell on and entire pod was discussion of Burrow, Tua and Herbert with some dalton talk as a bonus. Let’s just say after listening to that I am even more reticent about idea of trading back.

Listen to it - but upshot is that even if Tua were healthy Cosell’s opinion after film review is that Burrow is qb1 easily, the comp is Brady if he hits his high end potential, and the flags he raises over Herbert make me itchy if god forbid we traded back and took him.

I think a lot of pundits are just groupthinking on two points:

1.) If Tua was healthy, he'd be at Burrow's level.

2.) Burrow is the #1 pick, but Chase Young is the #1 prospect.

I think both of those things are wrong. Any team in the top five (including NYG and WAS with their recent first round QBs) who would pass on Burrow given the opportunity would be very foolish.

Archived