Building the Oline.....

On 2/23/2020 at 1:30 PM, T-Dub said:

I wouldn't say he's shitty, he's at least average.. when he plays. We can't keep carrying these guys that work maybe half a season, or ok 10 games if we're lucky. 

It's not about Glenn specifically anyway. Changing the culture means recognizing who they can count on every day.  It means recognizing who is good at playing NFL-level football right now, not in some ideal future.  I think they lack the ability & will to do that consistently or reliably & this offensive line shows it.

eta: If they want a team that plays with pride, a starter position needs to be something they fought for and earned, not handed to them because of draft position or money or what they did back in 2000-dickety-when

In a perfect world, we'd have five Pro Bowl starters a long the offensive line, with 4 talented young'uns in reserve nipping at their heels, but it isn't and we don't.  If Cordy Glenn is still around and is our best option at LG or RT, then i'm fine with that.  If he only gives you 8-10 games , I'll take it, and try to have Jordan, Johnson or maybe an early round RT ready to step up if he falters.  If they can come up with a 9 or 10-man group that is better w/o Glenn in it, then I'm fine with that too..

They're not getting the OL group fully to the place it needs to be  long term in one offseason.  Go with (C) Hopkins, (LT) Williams, (RT) Hart, Jordan and Johnson as a base. Hopefully, spend on a solid FA (Glasgow?) and an early-round RT to eventually push Hart. 

That would fill 7 of the 9 slots, leaving an opening at LG and an interior reserve spot.  Chance of signing another OL FA in their prime are slim.  I want to put the best nine guys on the Opening Game rosters as I possibly can.  If that means going out and finding a 36+ y.o. and plugging them in at LG (if they think they're an upgrade, then I'm all for it).  Glenn, a waiver pickup, a vet FA down to his last season?  I don't care, just as long as he can improve over the dross we've had in that room in recent seasons.  Get a stopgap year, allow the young reserves a year to grow/step up and address the spot on a more permanent basis next year.

They'll probably carry 10 O-linemen, assuming the new CBA is approved. It allows 2 extra players (one of whom must be an O-lineman) to be active on gamedays and expands the roster to 55 players. 

I'm fine with moving on from Glenn but we should wait until we have his replacement signed. 

Right from Hob Slob over on bengals.com

"It's believed the Bengals are going to move on from veteran left tackle Cordy Glenn. The fate of 2018 first-round center Billy Price is not as clear given that Trey Hopkins inked a three-year deal late last season to play the middle"

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-bengals-in-all-out-player-hunt-no-panic-on-o-line-fewer-snaps-for-gen

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think that they believe that OL and backup QB are not priorities. That's frustrating. 

Maybe not exactly "not priorities" but "more pressing needs elsewhere".

Can't wait for the whole draft.  Not just the first pick but all the rest.

Some really interesting guys will go lower.

I so don't want them to do the usual Bengal thing and pick a bunch of chumps

with so much talent that will undoubtedly fall into the second and third round.

Be great to pick up an extra second rounder for Andy and dump Glenn and perhaps Dre

for some extra gelt down the line.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

perhaps Dre

for some extra gelt down the line.

Underperforming, overpaid, afraid to tackle, undisciplined, constantly trying to call attention to himself...  Supposed to be one of the team vets but falls for any play fake or double move he sees. He's All-Pro on his Twitter page. Dre's the exact opposite of the kind of player they should be building around.  Changing the culture means dumping guys like him.

19 hours ago, Griever said:

Right from Hob Slob over on bengals.com

"It's believed the Bengals are going to move on from veteran left tackle Cordy Glenn. The fate of 2018 first-round center Billy Price is not as clear given that Trey Hopkins inked a three-year deal late last season to play the middle"

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-bengals-in-all-out-player-hunt-no-panic-on-o-line-fewer-snaps-for-gen

I see no scenario where we part ways with Price. His entire contract would be dead money. Now if a team thinks they can do something with him and are willing to trade, then OK.

15 minutes ago, bfine said:

I see no scenario where we part ways with Price. His entire contract would be dead money. Now if a team thinks they can do something with him and are willing to trade, then OK.

Yeah me neither, was surprised to see him sort of lumped in with Glenn in the quote. But yeah Price has been such a disappointment, dude is a human turnstyle.

On 2/23/2020 at 7:17 PM, gupps said:

This X2. I've posted I'd be happy if the draft went Burrow/OL/OL or Burrow/LB/OL/OL, but I expect to be disappointed with something like Burrow/WR/BPA or some such nonsense.

A couple of observations/quetions

I don't expect the Bengals to sign any blue chip (or red chip) players in free agency. I hope I'm wrong and will happily eat crow if I am.

Fixing the Oline not only helps Burrow but Mixon. If Mixon can be a workhorse back Burrow isn't dropping back as much reducing the risk of injury  and giving him time to get up to NFL speed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Williams also projected as a kick ass guard? If a top LT drops to 33, do you take him and move Williams inside?

I read somewhere that Stenberg sucked at pulling. If he can't pull does that kick him off the board?

I don't think a tackle better than Williams will make it to 33.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I don't think a tackle better than Williams will make it to 33.

As I stated earlier in this thread. The folks at PFF but Williams in their top 2 of LT prospects they've ever graded.

As to RT: The Wilson kid from UGA weighed in at 6'6" 350 and put up 26 reps with arms just a hair from 36".

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Yeah me neither, was surprised to see him sort of lumped in with Glenn in the quote. But yeah Price has been such a disappointment, dude is a human turnstyle.

Yeah, for better or worse Billy the Bust is ours until his rookie contract.

6 minutes ago, bfine said:

As I stated earlier in this thread. The folks at PFF but Williams in their top 2 of LT prospects they've ever graded.

As to RT: The Wilson kid from UGA weighed in at 6'6" 350 and put up 26 reps with arms just a hair from 36".

Now thats my kinda RT sizewise..

36 length??...wow be hard to grab on to him and if so what? Gonna overpower him? No...

Whats his weaknesses?

7 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Now thats my kinda RT sizewise..

36 length??...wow be hard to grab on to him and if so what? Gonna overpower him? No...

Whats his weaknesses?

Raw.

"He's only played two years of football so he's still in a learning process from a fundamental standpoint," Zierlein said. "He's really big and long and that's what you want in terms of projectable physical traits. He's got the look of a Phil Loadholt-type. But he'll need to get the footwork fixed, and he'll need to learn to play lower, with better leverage."

5 hours ago, bfine said:

Raw.

"He's only played two years of football so he's still in a learning process from a fundamental standpoint," Zierlein said. "He's really big and long and that's what you want in terms of projectable physical traits. He's got the look of a Phil Loadholt-type. But he'll need to get the footwork fixed, and he'll need to learn to play lower, with better leverage."

Tks.......i read that he said his hand placement improved during tge season..

Yeah he's young and raw ...

His engie runs so high that he lunges more than youd like..

Im intrigued by him..

Hes not a draft and put into the starters but hes promising...

6 hours ago, bfine said:

Yeah, Wilson has caught my eye.  At 350, he doesn't look fat at all.  He's a Jim Turner kind of guy for sure.

14 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

That applies to half the team..

How so? Most of these guys have played in live games or at least been on the scout team all year.  We don't know any more about Williams than we did last year other than that he's been hurt.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

How so? Most of these guys have played in live games or at least been on the scout team all year.  We don't know any more about Williams than we did last year other than that he's been hurt.

True..weve hade linemen that were totaal busts but werent ranked as the best limeman in the draft...

Just sayin.

11 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

True..weve hade linemen that were totaal busts but werent ranked as the best limeman in the draft...

Just sayin.

Oh man I'm thrilled that this guy wasn't picked by Ketchup Whisperer.  My thinking is if he can't play though (for whatever reason) we're looking at another lost season right now.  Why would they hang the entire franchise on one unknown player like that, yet again?  At the very least a backup option would be competition for Hart.  

Archived