Building the Oline.....

25 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Why would they hang the entire franchise on one unknown player like that, yet again?  At the very least a backup option would be competition for Hart.  

So what, sign a starter in FA and put Williams on the bench? I mean his arm wasn't mangled in an industrial accident, why exactly shouldn't they count on such a highly touted player if he's checked out healthy? Should they pay out a bunch of unnecessary money for a good back up? What about Fred Johnson? Is it crazy to think he might be a good player? Inquiring minds want to know.

Just now, spicoli said:

So what, sign a starter in FA and put Williams on the bench? I mean his arm wasn't mangled in an industrial accident, why exactly shouldn't they count on such a highly touted player if he's checked out healthy? Are they supposed to spend a bunch of money or a backup? Fred Johnson doesn't get a chance to show out? 

So what, they should set him on fire and launch him into space and tear down the stadium and we should all march into the river hand in hand?

Uh.. no,  Maybe they should do what they do for other positions and try to create some depth and competition for the OT spots.  If Williams locks down LT then the other guy can replace Hart.  If he's not good enough to replace Hart, well..  Somebody fucked up & that's a different problem.

Seems obvious to me but this franchise would rather double down on a bad bet almost every time.

They wanted a LT that was smart new angles like a carpenter and didnt give up sacks..

They choose him..

To take an opportunity by drafting the best offensive lineman in the draft at that position was a no brainer.

Joe Cool and his blindside bodyguard are going to be a beautuful thing ..

14 minutes ago, spicoli said:

So what, sign a starter in FA and put Williams on the bench? I mean his arm wasn't mangled in an industrial accident, why exactly shouldn't they count on such a highly touted player if he's checked out healthy? Should they pay out a bunch of unnecessary money for a good back up? What about Fred Johnson? Is it crazy to think he might be a good player? Inquiring minds want to know.

Freddy maybe ready for a significant role... 

I was unaware that that our head coach's father in law was Mike Sherman..A 30 year Oline coch and former head coach of the Packers..

Jim Turner and Sherman go back a long way..

Together they'll give Taylor thoughts on linemen they feel will strengthen the front wall for Burtow..

I really want Andrew Dickinson from Findlay. He will be a Guard in the NFL. He is my wifes cousin and was our ring bearer at our wedding. Great kid with good head on his shoulders. All of my wifes family is Browns fans so what would be better him getting drafted by the Bengals late in the draft. He was given a 5th round evaluation.  He may or may not get drafted I would love to see him in a Bengals uniform whether it drafted or FA. The D2 works against him but he was a man among boys there. He would be a development player.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/09/offensive-line/

Andrew Dickinson, OL, Findlay – We are going to keep it going down. Let’s talk about a D2 prospect that will get a shot in the NFL. Dickinson is an OG at the next level but man is he a solid blocker. The starting guard has started in almost every game since entering college in 2015, after sitting a year.  He is an All-American with a mean streak. He is a straight mauler and a player I love on film. Both he and his teammate Logan Bailey will bring NFL teams in.  He has ability and is a solid player.

Twitter rumor that Glenn is being shopped.  I don't see anyone paying him $9M to show up for 5-6 games next year if he feels like it but who knows.. Somebody may be even more desperate than we were when we traded for the bum. 

More importantly maybe this means they stop giving away roster spots just because they owe someone too much money.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Twitter rumor that Glenn is being shopped.  I don't see anyone paying him $9M to show up for 5-6 games next year if he feels like it but who knows.. Somebody may be even more desperate than we were when we traded for the bum. 

More importantly maybe this means they stop giving away roster spots just because they owe someone too much money.

Anything they get is gravy. He has 0 dead cap space left.  They could release him for nothing. Totally agree he needs to be gone. 

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Anything they get is gravy. He has 0 dead cap space left.  They could release him for nothing. Totally agree he needs to be gone. 

If they'd also get rid of Pacman Jr & trade AJ that'd be awesome.  Paying franchise tag money for a guy who hasn't really played football in 2 years seems like a bad idea but I understand they want to get something out of him.  Point being I don't think any of these guys we're talking about really want to be here.

47 minutes ago, bfine said:

Parting ways with Cordy Glenn does nothing to improve this oline. Now trading for Trai Turner would, It appears the Panthers are shopping him. 

I assume they would replace him with someone else, a mid-round draft pick.  Why not pull the lever.  

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I don't mind moving on from Glenn but he has some trade value. When he plays, he's at least NFL average and there are some needy teams out there. 

He's quit on 2 teams now though.  That will impact his trade value a LOT.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

He's quit on 2 teams now though.  That will impact his trade value a LOT.

As will his age and the fact he's only under contract for 1 more season. All that said, he showed when he was on the field, he was the Bengals best O-lineman last season and is a ready to go option for teams which miss on the top tackles in the draft and don't want their QB getting beat up while a later drafted rookie gets up to speed. 

I would hold on to Glenn as long as possible in case of injury.  Another team might get desperate and the Bengals owe him nothing after what he did last year.  I doubt he'll get much as trade bait, but he's under contract and plays an important position so there's nothing to lose by holding on to see what happens elsewhere.

Hart obviously should be replaced and at a minimum I'm hoping to see a free agent or early pick (Day 2) at OT, possibly both.  Depth was a huge issue last year and hopefully they learned a lesson that shouldn't be repeated.  Hoping for injury luck is not a strategy and you need to invest.

The interior line is unsettled outside Hopkins.  Price is disappointing, Miller was hurt and not very effective, and Jordan looked raw.  More competition is needed and nobody besides Hopkins should feel safe.

22 hours ago, bfine said:

Parting ways with Cordy Glenn does nothing to improve this oline. Now trading for Trai Turner would, It appears the Panthers are shopping him. 

I don't agree with this, at least not in a definitive way.  We simply don't know how much Cordy negatively affects this line, especially off the field.  If he suddenly had an epiphany and was gung-ho to play LG, ok, then he's likely better than the alternatives we know about.  But all of the evidence suggests he a) doesn't want to play LG, b) has a negative outlook on the team and/or coaches and possibly even c) doesn't really have much passion for football at all.  If you believe in Taylor's purported goal to "change the culture", then you can't really argue with getting rid of a guy they had to fine internally and performs below his contract.  Better for us is to hope the team does a better job filling the roster with players who buy in rather than hope that those who have already shown to be below par will maintain our status quo of "barely cutting it".

I’m all about loading up on OL but anyone that thinks WR isn’t a serious need right now is absolutely crazy. This team literally has one WR that they can fully count on right now in Tyler Boyd, every other guy in the group is a huge question mark. Even if Green stays healthy this year and returns to form he’ll likely never sign a long term deal here after being franchised, so it’s going to be important to get someone on the roster that can step into that role as soon as next year. I honestly don’t see how they can pass on the position at 33 with the talent that’s likely still going to be sitting there. Seems like a perfect match to me. 

35 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I’m all about loading up on OL but anyone that thinks WR isn’t a serious need right now is absolutely crazy. This team literally has one WR that they can fully count on right now in Tyler Boyd, every other guy in the group is a huge question mark. Even if Green stays healthy this year and returns to form he’ll likely never sign a long term deal here after being franchised, so it’s going to be important to get someone on the roster that can step into that role as soon as next year. I honestly don’t see how they can pass on the position at 33 with the talent that’s likely still going to be sitting there. Seems like a perfect match to me. 

I agree, I actually meant to say we should load up on OL and WR. 

Archived