Building the Oline.....

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Except it seems to be a weak draft in terms of LB, at least at the top half of the draft

There are only 3 first round guys, but there were a few more who tested well at the combine.  Unfortunately one of the better guys out of round 1 had character issues.  

4 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Except it seems to be a weak draft in terms of LB, at least at the top half of the draft

I'm hoping Murray or Queen last til 33 tho I wouldn't bet the house on it.

I mean it absolutely is a legit need and there's a really good chance that a WR is going to be the BPA at 33, so..

Not every single one of their needs can be filled through the draft. They're absolutely going to have to use FA this year to plug some of these holes. They really don't have any choice if they want to at least be competitive this season. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I mean it absolutely is a legit need and there's a really good chance that a WR is going to be the BPA at 33, so..

Not every single one of their needs can be filled through the draft. They're absolutely going to have to use FA this year to plug some of these holes. They really don't have any choice if they want to at least be competitive this season. 

Yep.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I get that, & if they were honestly looking only at production and immediate value of draft picks before taking a WR I'd be fine with it.

We both know that's not the case.  They focus on offensive skill players with flashy measurables.  They don't have any scouts & many of the position coaches they rely on to do that stuff instead literally just walked in the door to interview last year's class. 

More to OP's point, even when we hit on those picks (AJ, Mixon, Eifert)  we don't have the OL we need for them to reach their full potential.  

The OL is an immediate need.  It's the #1 reason why we're in this hole.  Continue to settle for the Bobbie Harts & Cordy Glenns of the NFL and this is where we'll stay.

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

They're absolutely going to have to use FA this year to plug some of these holes. They really don't have any choice if they want to at least be competitive this season. 

See the source image

It's the same thing every year and I don't expect any changes this year. I don't care what Duke Tobin says.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The OL is an immediate need.  It's the #1 reason why we're in this hole.  Continue to settle for the Bobbie Harts & Cordy Glenns of the NFL and this is where we'll stay.

We draft Mims and he can be wide open in the secondary waving his arms while Joe Burrow is getting his face pushed into the dirt by whatever Dlineman blew past the turnstiles on the offensive line. You HAVE to have a good oline to compete and we are lacking in that department.

47 minutes ago, gupps said:

It's the same thing every year and I don't expect any changes this year. I don't care what Duke Tobin says.

We draft Mims and he can be wide open in the secondary waving his arms while Joe Burrow is getting his face pushed into the dirt by whatever Dlineman blew past the turnstiles on the offensive line. You HAVE to have a good oline to compete and we are lacking in that department.

No faith in Tobin here but it sounds like they want to move on from Glenn at least.  Hart might be an okay backup player but they can't be counting on him & a recovered J. Williams, that was the plan last year & there were no other options.  I think Fred J. deserves Bobbie's money.  Look at his social media, the guy's a total jackass that would only appeal to a like-minded jackass in Turner. Gonna change the team's character with AFAIK still the only NFL coach suspended for stalking.  Hart is the new Richie Incognito suck-up only without the ability or attitude,

And now that I think about it, Turner is also the OL scout.

2rrFBbH.gif

Hart isn't an ok backup player because he still isn't any good when he's on the field and he's paid 5 mil. Fred is fine as a backup but we need a starting quality RT. Just bite the bullet, sign Conklin for a huge amount and draft Miller's replacement in the 3rd or 4th round. 

there are guys who grew during the season, guys coming back from onjury during season and guys (williams) coming back from not playing.

so honestly i think we will have 3 improved spots just from health and gained experience. so even adding 1 key piece to the line in FA or draft would be solid improvement. 

what ever happened to the rookie whitworth scenario of taking a solid tackle and putting them at guard? great for young guys who arent ready to be on an island on the ends, typically stronger bigger guys, but not having to chase speed rushers is a bonus inside...i feel like average tackles would make solid guards .

is it just they arent willing to move inside due to potential pay drops?

****** my opinion on guys having grown a bit in play during season is based on a few media guys i listen to. i only watched a finley game or two all season..

This teams reluctance to go out and sign a top FA is puzzling to say the least. If either of Fischer or Ogbuehi had turned into an All PRO or near that level we would now either (a) be paying them $15+M per year or (b) letting them walk because we are 'tight to the cap' or some other lame reason. 

This obsession with only paying 'your own' really has to stop. What difference does it make? You  pay for the player regardless of where they came from - 1st round, 7th round or free agent. You dont want to overpay for an average guy but if the guy is good and we have a hole to fill sign him up. 

3 hours ago, GoBengals said:

there are guys who grew during the season, guys coming back from onjury during season and guys (williams) coming back from not playing.

Was he back practicing with the team? I didn't see an announcement but I was pretty tuned out there at the end.  Either way I'd like to see him survive a training camp before we go counting on him as the franchise LT again.  We need a healthy starting-caliber OT in the worst way, I don't care where we get one.  No one but Hopkins should be feeling at all comfortable on the OL.   At least create some competition.

Of interest but with a grain of salt:

The Ketchup Whisperer was just on Sirius NFL radio and he said the good teams in the league sign their elite players regardless of position whereas other teams will only sign elite level players if they play at an 'elite' position. He said the Bengals were the latter and as a result refused to pony up to sign guards like Steinbach and Zeitler and in his words 'it cost us dearly'. 

28 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Of interest but with a grain of salt:

The Ketchup Whisperer was just on Sirius NFL radio and he said the good teams in the league sign their elite players regardless of position whereas other teams will only sign elite level players if they play at an 'elite' position. He said the Bengals were the latter and as a result refused to pony up to sign guards like Steinbach and Zeitler and in his words 'it cost us dearly'. 

Cant argue that...

To their credit they have drafted olineman in very early rounds that didnt work out..

Hopefully Taylor's era of olinemen will become a strength soon...

19 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Cant argue that...

To their credit they have drafted olineman in very early rounds that didnt work out..

Hopefully Taylor's era of olinemen will become a strength soon...

Letting Zeitler go made zero sense. The case for letting Whit go was legitimate IF either Cedric or Fisher were even decent.  That wasn’t the case. 

9 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Indeed they don't so then why did they draft a player in that position in the first round?

Oh they’re great when they’re playing on rookie contracts. When it comes time to up the ante on that second contract though, that’s where things go south. 

On 3/8/2020 at 4:56 PM, gupps said:

See the source image

There are going to be very strong receiver prospects throughout round two in most every draft.  With Green back, our need at the WR spot is not as immediate.  Our need at LB is dire and quality candidates in the draft are thin.  We likely need to sign an OL and a LB fairly early as well as signing one each in FA.  A quality CB is also a must in either the draft,

I know, I know, BPA over need!  And I agree to a large extent, BUT...in the first or second round you should  be able to find a regular.  If you get to 33, there is a WR that you have at 21 on your big board with an OL at 36 and a LB at 38, you most likely go with the WR.  If however, there is a WR @33, OL @36 & LB @38, but you need is greater at OL and you think the lineman can settle in an be a 10yr. starter @RT, then I go with him, address the immediate headache and grab a WR early next year.

Archived