Building the Oline.....

10 minutes ago, snarkster said:

With Green back, our need at the WR spot is not as immediate

So we’re supposed to be counting on a guy that’s barely played in two years? And even if he manages to be decent this year he’s only here for 2020, not beyond. Then who steps into that role, John Ross?? I know everyone wants OL and LB but it’s pretty naive to think that the need at WR isn’t right there with them. 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:56 PM, gupps said:

See the source image

It's the same thing every year and I don't expect any changes this year. I don't care what Duke Tobin says.

This team has talked about being more active in FA for several years and then when they have to pull the cheque book out the literally rolls themselves up in into a corner in the fetal position. 

37 minutes ago, spicoli said:

So we’re supposed to be counting on a guy that’s barely played in two years? And even if he manages to be decent this year he’s only here for 2020, not beyond. Then who steps into that role, John Ross?? I know everyone wants OL and LB but it’s pretty naive to think that the need at WR isn’t right there with them. 

For 2020, WR isn't a big need. This might be Green's last season with the team but he's not really looking to leave and would like a multi-year deal. If he shows at mini-camp that he is still a good player he will get a deal. This is most likely Ross's last year in Cincinnat. They won't pick up his 15 mil year 5 contract option. So we need a replacement for Ross. Depending on what happens in free agency, it could come as early as pick 33 but it doesn't need to be a priority. 

How can anyone at this point have any faith whatsover that Green can even make it out of TC without re-injuring that foot again? These are chronic issues he's having, they're likely not going away.

I'll be surprised if he makes it out of OTA's to be honest...if he even shows up. 

Denzel Mims @ 33.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

How can anyone at this point have any faith whatsover that Green can even make it out of TC without re-injuring that foot again? These are chronic issues he's having, they're likely not going away.

I'll be surprised if he makes it out of OTA's to be honest...if he even shows up. 

Denzel Mims @ 33.

I think your right about his feet and ankles.

Its a show me one year deal with him..

Thing about 1st pick in each round is that theyre many top players bypassed to choose from...

Every round for them will be that way..

Good thing that is...

5 hours ago, snarkster said:

I know, I know, BPA over need! 

Call me stupid, but I don't like BPA for a bad team (like we are) until the late rounds. The OL and LBs are dumpster fires and picking a WR that slipped out of the 1st round will do nothing to fix it. Granted, they COULD sign a couple quality FAs to open up the draft but I'll believe that when I see it. (will happily eat crow if they do)

18 minutes ago, gupps said:

Call me stupid, but I don't like BPA for a bad team (like we are) until the late rounds.

Why not? Every position on the team is one of need with the possible exception of RB and Mixon is a free agent next year.

30 minutes ago, gupps said:

Call me stupid, but I don't like BPA for a bad team (like we are) until the late rounds. The OL and LBs are dumpster fires and picking a WR that slipped out of the 1st round will do nothing to fix it. Granted, they COULD sign a couple quality FAs to open up the draft but I'll believe that when I see it. (will happily eat crow if they do)

Stupid

28 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

yep....

after we pick Burrow at 1.... everything but QB is a choice at 33.... we aren't the best at anything 

Protecting him has go to be the priority.  We've got Happy Thoughts at LT and a RT whose main qualification is laughing at all his coach's jokes. 

4 hours ago, spicoli said:

Denzel Mims @ 33.

Green has missed a lot of games but his 2019 injury was unrelated to his 2018 injury.  If he shows at mini-camp that he is healthy and still a high level player, then the club will likely extend him for multiple years. It's easy enough to structure such a deal to protect both parties. 

20 hours ago, bfine said:

Stupid

OK, I asked for that.  :24:

But seriously, I'm going under the assumption that the Bengals will do their usual in free agency (sign their own people and maybe a marginal  player or 2 from another team). How does that help the oline and improve the linebackers? The team  doesn't have holes there they have craters. People here would go ape-shit if we ignore the oline and ,say,Watt comes unmolested into the backfield and crushes Burrow. This board would spontaneously combust in hours.  Two last thoughts

Some people say that the oline and WR groups are very deep and we could wait and get a quality tackle/guard in the later rounds. Why doesn't that also apply to WRs?

"You miss half the shots you take and all the shots you don't take" (Micheal Jordon supposedly). You can't expect  the oline to improve if you don't put some some draft capital into it.

On 3/8/2020 at 3:56 PM, gupps said:

See the source image

It's the same thing every year and I don't expect any changes this year. I don't care what Duke Tobin

Duke Tobin is a puppet.  However, I do expect change on the Offensive line.  I'm just not sure if it will be enough to help  Burrow survive and thrive.

FWIW, it will be near instantaneous and not hours before this board implodes should Burrow get injured.  You've ran the chat long enough to know that is just a simple fact.

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

Duke Tobin is a puppet.  However, I do expect change on the Offensive line.  I'm just not sure if it will be enough to help  Burrow survive and thrive.

FWIW, it will be near instantaneous and not hours before this board implodes should Burrow get injured.  You've ran the chat long enough to know that is just a simple fact.

Well of course it would take the wind out of the sails if he were injured.

In actuality every team faces that dilemma no?

Protecting him is the main priority isnt it?

Was looking at 2019 PFF grades 

for all the olinemen..then looked at the whole team..

W

Obvious why they lost...

A decent to good lineman should have a 70 rating...around 80 you have a very good one...

Glenn.........64.

Jordan........43.

Hopkins......62.

Miller..........58

Hart............54

Price........ ..41

Johnson.......71

Long way to improve no?

15 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Well of course it would take the wind out of the sails if he were injured.

In actuality every team faces that dilemma no?

Protecting him is the main priority isnt it?

I guess I didn't explain what I meant very well. What I meant was can you imagine the Bengals waiting til the 5/6/7 round to draft olineman and then Burrow getting crushed repeatedly?

If we can get a 3rd for Dalton, use that pick to get your WR.

4 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Top 5 ? LOL

He’s pretty f’ing good. Those PFF numbers don’t tell the full story. It’s hard to grade out well when you’re playing with turnstiles on either side of ya.  

38 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Grades for free agent olineman..

Jack Conkin....78 

Brian Bulaga....77

Conklin will command a fortune..

Bulaga has some injuries ..

Hes 30 and will command alot less..

I shoot for Bulaga at RT...

I'd rather have a 50-ish rated guy that's healthy.  Gonna keep saying it but we need to sign players that actually play.  Radical concept for the Bengals but it works for other teams.  Why not give it a try, see how things go?

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

I'd rather have a 50-ish rated guy that's healthy.  Gonna keep saying it but we need to sign players that actually play.  Radical concept for the Bengals but it works for other teams.  Why not give it a try, see how things go?

A fiftyish guy like Bobby Hart at 54?

Lookin at the league a 60 is meh....

Archived