Building the Oline.....

Two olinemen that really interest me at this point ..

Josh Jones probalbly wont be there but he'd be my pick..

Next is Isaiah and Ezra Cleveland..

We know the mannish boy is a road grader

vbut not quick footed due to his massive size but was eatching his kickout move and uts like watching a tree trunk coming out..youd damn near have to jump over it!.

I love this kid as a RT and have no problems drafting him at two...

Ezra Cleveland is a bit light in the ass at 6'6" 311lbs but he has quck feet and can

be valuable in a zone scheme..i see them adding 10 more lbs to his frame..

Either would be a good addition..

Its just who would fit best no?

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Two olinemen that really interest me at this point ..

Josh Jones probalbly wont be there but he'd be my pick..

Next is Isaiah and Ezra Cleveland..

We know the mannish boy is a road grader

vbut not quick footed due to his massive size but was eatching his kickout move and uts like watching a tree trunk coming out..youd damn near have to jump over it!.

I love this kid as a RT and have no problems drafting him at two...

Ezra Cleveland is a bit light in the ass at 6'6" 311lbs but he has quck feet and can

be valuable in a zone scheme..i see them adding 10 more lbs to his frame..

Either would be a good addition..

Its just who would fit best no?

Oh please let Josh Jones fall to #33. Bookend tackles for the next decade would be a nice insurance policy for our new QB.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:32 PM, claptonrocks said:

If WE traded for Trent Williams would make better sense..

What we would have to give up would be too much.  Any equivalent player creates a new hole of an equal amount.  Any draft pick could be used to acquire (next season's 1st Rd pick) as good, or better, of a LT at a salary 1/10th to 1/5th the cost, control of that player for 8-10 years, and a player who will be in tune with Burrow for all of Burrow's best years.

First of all the Bengals need to make a decision about Dalton they are currently 2.4 million over the cap. Sure they could restructure Dunlap or Geno or even cut Shawn William but the best move would be to get Dalton's 17.7 mil off the books.

After freeing up that 17mil I would sign Jason Peters to a 1 year 9 or 10 mil contract to play on the right side. Peters isnt the same as he was in his prime but he is still a good tackle that has played in the scheme they want to run. With Peters signing it wouldnt force them to go with either Hart, Johnson, or having 2 tackles that haven't taken a snap in the NFL. (Another way to go would be Kelvin Beachum.)

Then at pick #33 they should be targeting an interior offensive linemen. Cesar Ruiz is the guy if he's there but they could also trade back a few spots pick up an early 4th or late 3rd and take Lloyd Cushenberry. Ruiz or Cushenberry gives them a solid building block to go with Williams to protect their franchise QB.

At left guard Michael Jordan, Xavier Su'a-Filo, and possibly a late round or UDFA can all compete.

Current state of o-line:

C  Trey Hopkins

C  Billy Price

OG  Xavier Sua Filo 

OG  Michael Jordan 

OG  Alex Redmond

OG  O'Shea Dugas 

OT  Jonah Williams 

OT  Bobby Hart

OT  Fred Johnson 

OT  Isaiah Prince

Obviously, there are lots of question marks outside of Hopkins at center.  Williams is going to start at LT but he's basically a rookie.  Sua Filo was signed to replace Miller at RG, or at least compete for the job.  Jordan started 9 games last year at LG as a rookie and also missed 3 games.  By far, my biggest concerns remain Hart at RT and the overall depth at both tackle spots.  I know some are high on Johnson, but he's far from proven.  I'm expecting OT to be in strong consideration at #33.  WR is expected to be a strong area in this draft and I've seen mock drafts with as many as 8 receivers going in the first round.  Hopefully someone (OT or maybe LB) slides if there is a run at WR.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah he was a 6th overall pick and has been solidly average.  

Point being that a draft pick is just another chance to pull the lever.

At least he was solidly average.  Ced and Price have been nothing close to solid starters.  The "best" worst case scenario is always that your first round draft choice was only an OK starter.   A complete bust or marginal backup just SUCKS.  

On 4/9/2020 at 9:15 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Current state of o-line:

C  Trey Hopkins

C  Billy Price

OG  Xavier Sua Filo 

OG  Michael Jordan 

OG  Alex Redmond

OG  O'Shea Dugas 

OT  Jonah Williams 

OT  Bobby Hart

OT  Fred Johnson 

OT  Isaiah Prince

Obviously, there are lots of question marks outside of Hopkins at center.  Williams is going to start at LT but he's basically a rookie.  Sua Filo was signed to replace Miller at RG, or at least compete for the job.  Jordan started 9 games last year at LG as a rookie and also missed 3 games.  By far, my biggest concerns remain Hart at RT and the overall depth at both tackle spots.  I know some are high on Johnson, but he's far from proven.  I'm expecting OT to be in strong consideration at #33.  WR is expected to be a strong area in this draft and I've seen mock drafts with as many as 8 receivers going in the first round.  Hopefully someone (OT or maybe LB) slides if there is a run at WR.

Great comments..seriously!

I believe Jonah will play at a high level..

His quickiness instincts hand placement  and positioning is what made him the top olineman in the draft.. 

Michael Jordan had one of the worst beginnings as a 20yr old starter among any young linemen in the draft..

To have a 44 ppf for the season yet had a 75 pass protect and 60 run game in the final 6 games or so is mind boggling how much he improved with more snaps as the season wore on..

Hes been working with a boxing coach to improve quick hand placement to beat and control by using his long arms  on oppontents chestplate befor they do..

Itsa major adjustement in the pros..

Hopkins is allright..good at making calls and can hold up in pass protection..

They signed Solo  first and fiormost to Pass Proectect JB..

His 77.8 pass protection was very good..

Bobby Hart was a 7th round pick that excells at nothing..55 ppf run or protect..

Hes cheap at 2.85mil but thats what he gives you..

FredJohnson showed pass protection abilities and hes not soft in the run game.

Playing 150 snaps gives you an idea of his ability but youd have to see who he went up against when he played.. 

They need to build this unit now to ever be a contender..

Get a ROT very quickly..

Still think expecting a rookie that spent last year effectively on IR to immediately come in & lock down the LT position, protecting the blind side of the rookie franchise QB is incredibly stupid.  Of course that's what we all hope happens but to assume as much without any sort of insurance? Have they not seen where this "think happy thoughts" approach to building a roster has put them?

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Still think expecting a rookie that spent last year effectively on IR to immediately come in & lock down the LT position, protecting the blind side of the rookie franchise QB is incredibly stupid.  Of course that's what we all hope happens but to assume as much without any sort of insurance? Have they not seen where this "think happy thoughts" approach to building a roster has put them?

Who would you rather see starting at LT than Jonah?

I thought alot of teams start an OT when hes drafted number one...

Bengals should draft Isaiah Wilson in round 2 to start at RT. Release Hart and save the money. Fred Johnson is an ok backup option at RT. We need a vet backup LT though in case Jonah struggles or gets hurt again. I'd sign Donald Penn, he probably doesn't expect to start. Jason Peters or Kelvin Beachum would be ok but are probably looking for starter money.

48 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals should draft Isaiah Wilson in round 2 to start at RT. Release Hart and save the money. Fred Johnson is an ok backup option at RT. We need a vet backup LT though in case Jonah struggles or gets hurt again. I'd sign Donald Penn, he probably doesn't expect to start. Jason Peters or Kelvin Beachum would be ok but are probably looking for starter money.

Agree about Isaiah..Harts salary is only 2.85mil and 1mil of that was rister bonus by Mar 15...Hes stayin ..hopefully to backup..

Picking up a FA tackle is fine as a backup..

There will be be alot of players cut soon..

I suspect theyre waiting to make moves

after ridding Daltons 17.7 deal..

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Who would you rather see starting at LT than Jonah?

I thought alot of teams start an OT when hes drafted number one...

Huh? It's not about what I want to happen. I wanted him to start last year. He wasn't capable & the team had no other worthwhile option.  There isn't a single proven OT on the roster.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That's why only 2 Heisman QBs have ever won a Super Bowl. Because they get drafted #1 by the worst team in the league that's offense isn't ready for a rookie QB. And the 2 QBs were Plunkett and Staubach. Plunkett was a draft bust and ended up winning with Oakland as a retread. Staubach didn't play right away because he had the military commitment.  That's why Burrow will probably bust. The offense isn't ready for him. So they should try to get whatever they can in trade for him.

Archived