Building the Oline.....

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

I think you leave Michael Jordan at LG and don’t look back. I believe he going to lock down that spot for the next 5 years. He started off rough last year and got benched but when he came back you could tell the lightbulb came on for him and he started showing out. They’re in a good spot left to center, IMO.

Hes 21 so id say 10yrs at LG..

Hes workef very hard on Quicker hand placement even using a boxing coach..

He ll be bigger. stronger and having so many reps last yr hes experienced ..

RG is up in the air..

I like Adeniji winning that spot..

Hopefully Ole Fred can hold down RT unless they give us another present in Jason Peters....

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think Williams is promising too but some of y'all are giving a whole lot of credit to a guy that has yet to take an NFL snap.  

The question remains; if he can't go or just sucks, who plays LT this year? 

He ll go and be valuable..

Hes faced alot of DEs that play pro now in the SEC and was extremely effective ..

On 5/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, claptonrocks said:

RG is up in the air..

Hopefully Ole Fred can hold down RT unless they give us another present in Jason Peters....

Unless he plays himself out of our guard price range.

I bet teams are waiting to see what happens with the preseason, if they have injuries during camp, etc... before looking at the older vets that are still on the market.  They'll probably be scooped up after the 1st week of the season once their salaries are no longer guaranteed.  I wouldn't be surprised if their agents might already have informal deals worked out with multiple teams and it's just a matter of waiting for the players and teams.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, claptonrocks said:

RG is up in the air..

Though I am not a fan of the "standing pat on the OL from here" strategy, one thing about it is we will find out some answers.

Was the late season Jordan/Hart improvement real or more of a schedule mirage? Is Jonah the real deal? Is XSF a starter quality player? Is Fred Johnson legit? Will Price turn into a player now that he is healthy?

Problem is, if some of those questions get answered in the negative, we are gonna suck. I prefer a vet security blanket. Joe is too valuable.

Of course, if none of the vet lineman want to come here....then there is nothing we can do.

On 5/5/2020 at 9:54 AM, BBR said:

I bet teams are waiting to see what happens with the preseason, if they have injuries during camp, etc... before looking at the older vets that are still on the market.  They'll probably be scooped up after the 1st week of the season once their salaries are no longer guaranteed.  I wouldn't be surprised if their agents might already have informal deals worked out with multiple teams and it's just a matter of waiting for the players and teams.

That...

Williams is going to play LT if healthy.  I doubt he gets benched even if he struggles, but other options at LT would be Johnson (who started last season's finale at LT) and Adeniji (who started every game of his college career at LT).  Adeniji could also line up at guard, which he did at the Senior Bowl.

Taylor has said Sua'Filo was signed to compete at RG and he would be the leading candidate at this point.  He has 53 career starts and was a replacement starter for Dallas the last two years.  Redmond and Price would also be in the mix at RG, with Price as the backup center as well.  Hopkins and Jordan will start at C and LG if healthy.  

Callahan has said the RT job will be an open competition and count me in the camp hoping Johnson takes the job and runs with it.  Hart is a liability even if he played somewhat better down the stretch last year.  I also hope Isaiah Prince outplays Hart for the backup RT job.

36 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

This is the exact kind of player I wish we'd jump on:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/08/saints-release-larry-warford/

Been a pro bowler the last 3 season. The Saint's O-line is just that loaded. Could probably learn a thing or two from them on that as well.

I was thinking the same.  They drafted an OL in the 1st round and seemed to be strictly a cap relief move.

4 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

This is the exact kind of player I wish we'd jump on:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/08/saints-release-larry-warford/

Been a pro bowler the last 3 season. The Saint's O-line is just that loaded. Could probably learn a thing or two from them on that as well.

Larry Warfird is called a mass with ass..

Hes a road grader on run plays..

Backs averaged 4.8 running in back of him..

His role took a tole on him later in the season as they asked him to pull more and more..think they wore him down hence his ppf suffered..

Hes 28.yrs old which means hes in his prime years..

Saints save total of 9mil cap space..

They drafted Chico Ruiz so they plugged another in his spot..

Talks with his agent should be imperative!

Texans and Bears are already after Warford. Bengals should have offered Saints a late round pick swap for a guy everyone knew they were going to release. Bengals should definitely pursue Warford but he might cost more on the open market than his 7.75 mil contract number with the Saints.

FWIW, Dan Hoard had an interview with Jonah Williams on the Bengals Booth podcast back around the draft.  He said he's 100% ready to go and will have zero limitations whenever things start back up.  He also said his training and workouts are showing he's coming back stronger than he was prior to surgery.  Sounded very motivated to prove himself and justify the team's investment. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:22 PM, claptonrocks said:

Larry Warfird is called a mass with ass..

Hes a road grader on run plays..

Backs averaged 4.8 running in back of him..

His role took a tole on him later in the season as they asked him to pull more and more..think they wore him down hence his ppf suffered..

Hes 28.yrs old which means hes in his prime years..

Saints save total of 9mil cap space..

They drafted Chico Ruiz so they plugged another in his spot..

Talks with his agent should be imperative!

wow.. I would love it if we signed him.

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

FWIW, Dan Hoard had an interview with Jonah Williams on the Bengals Booth podcast back around the draft.  He said he's 100% ready to go and will have zero limitations whenever things start back up.  He also said his training and workouts are showing he's coming back stronger than he was prior to surgery.  Sounded very motivated to prove himself and justify the team's investment. 

hope he is the beast they thought they drafted    

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

We all do, but we can't start Hope at LT if he's not.. You know?

I guess you can say the same thing about what the Eagles are doing with LT.  They're handing the job to last year's first round pick and letting Peters walk.  Is it a risk?  No doubt about it.  I guess you have to trust your evaluation of the player and get lucky with health.

56 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I guess you can say the same thing about what the Eagles are doing with LT.  They're handing the job to last year's first round pick and letting Peters walk.  Is it a risk?  No doubt about it.  I guess you have to trust your evaluation of the player and get lucky with health.

Without looking at their depth chart I bet their first back-up OT could start for us.

12 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Without looking at their depth chart I bet their first back-up OT could start for us.

The Eagles top backup OT the last several years, Vaitai, signed a big deal with Detroit.  So their depth is not great either.  

Also, Peters wants to continue playing but he wants to play LT for a contender.  That's not likely to happen here.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We all do, but we can't start Hope at LT if he's not.. You know?

Lol it's not like the guy had his arm ripped off in a farming accident and then reattached. What is it that's got you so worried...that he'll be a bust or that he can't come back from injury?

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Eagles top backup OT the last several years, Vaitai, signed a big deal with Detroit.  So their depth is not great either.  

Also, Peters wants to continue playing but he wants to play LT for a contender.  That's not likely to happen here.

Quote I heard was that he was willing to play RT and mentor.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/03/jason-peters-open-to-playing-rt

Plus, most contenders are already set at LT, if not all of them, now that Williams is a 49er.

As for Warford, he graded out as the 7th best run blocking G in the league, but also allowed a team high 32 QB pressures.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2020-nfl-free-agency/2020/5/8/21252864/2020-nfl-free-agency-rumors-texans-reportedly-interested-in-larry-warford

Either is still an upgrade for us, though I'd prefer Peters. He graded higher last year (82 to 73), likely comes cheaper and on a shorter term deal, and we are thinner at T than G.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

I thought the goal was to protect Burrow?

Su’a Filo graded out much higher as a pass blocker than Warford did. 

Would "slightly higher" be more correct? Also, that was at left guard and we're projecting to install him at RG, where he doesn't seem to be much of a match. So given that, why are we even considering his performance level at a totally different position?

Archived