Building the Oline.....

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Is it?...show us something ....

The Oline should be better that last year but on paper it can’t hold a candle to the other AFCN’s Olines.   I wish it weren’t so.  New guys, some meh vets and Hopkins.   

17 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Is it?...show us something ....

Yes, our line is clearly the worst in the division. Not even close. Ravens have a couple of probowl tackles. Browns have recent probowlers at LG and RT and a top 10 rookie LT who may be better than our rookie LT. Stealers are getting long in the tooth but still have Pouncey and DeCastro. 

43 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, our line is clearly the worst in the division. Not even close. Ravens have a couple of probowl tackles. Browns have recent probowlers at LG and RT and a top 10 rookie LT who may be better than our rookie LT. Stealers are getting long in the tooth but still have Pouncey and DeCastro. 

Why is there top 10 rookie LT better than our top 11 rookie LT? Just because..Bengals?

Dave Lapham weighs in on the right tackle battle between Bobby Hart and Fred Johnson

Dave Lapham weighs in on the right tackle battle between Bobby Hart and Fred Johnson
James Rapien

Aug 30, 2020

CINCINNATI — The Bengals were expected to have a competition for the starting right tackle job, but that hasn't been the case in training camp

Bobby Hart has consistently worked with the first-team offense. Fred Johnson, who flashed his potential at the end of last season, doesn't appear to be a real threat to Hart. 

Johnson, 23, has played with the first-team, but mostly at right guard, not right tackle. Michael Jordan's first child was born last week, which meant the Bengals had multiple practices without their starting left guard. 

Bengals analyst Dave Lapham believes consistency and intelligence are two things the offensive line coach Jim Turner is looking for from the starting right tackle. 

"I think the tiebreaker right now is that Bobby's smart," Lapham said on the Bengals Booth Podcast. "Bobby's like Trey [Hopkins] in terms of football — making calls and stuff. That's a comforting feeling for a line coach when you got two guys out there that know every nuance of it. I don't think Fred's at that level in terms of the mental part of it. Unless he outright handles it physically, it's gotta be knockout. That's what he's looking at I think."

At 6-7, 326 pounds, Johnson certainly has the size required to be a starting NFL right tackle. 

"He's like, in my mind, all the offensive lineman, Dan. I watch him. Very inconsistent," Lapham said. "Got to show consistency. Got to show consistency as a group. All five guys have to play as a group.

"It can't be big ups and downs. Fred's had some really good showings and then he's had some head scratcher showings."

The projected starting line (from right to left) is Hart, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Trey Hopkins, Michael Jordan and Jonah Williams. Johnson will have to flash in Sunday's scrimmage to have a shot at supplanting Hart. 

"Fred has to realize Bobby's played quite a few games in the NFL," Lapham said. "Fred has to win it outright. And honestly, right now, I don't think the competition should be over."

Listen to Dan Hoard's entire conversation with Lapham below.

For more on the Bengals and the latest training camp news, go here!

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/dave-lapham-bengals-starting-right-tackle-battle

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Point taken...

On 8/31/2020 at 2:51 PM, spicoli said:

Why is there top 10 rookie LT better than our top 11 rookie LT? Just because..Bengals?

Because our LT missed an entire year and our left guard is only an OK at best second year guy. The Brown’s LG is a pro bowler which will be a huge help to their rookie.  JC Tretter is a very good center too. 

I almost forgot, Fuck the Browns. 

On 8/31/2020 at 2:51 PM, spicoli said:

No, because their top 10 rookie LT isn't coming off an injury. They played together on the same O-line in college. Wills protected Tua's blindside while Jonah was a strongside tackle for Bama his last year.

It's hard to argue the Bengals are better than 3rd in the division, more likely they're last.  Cleveland signed Conklin and drafted Wills to fix their problems at OT.  Pittsburgh is coming off a down year, but Pouncey and DeCastro are still better than anyone in the division at their positions.   Baltimore is losing a likely HOF player in Yanda, but they have the rest back and led the league in rushing.   Best case for Bengals is middle of the pack and I doubt the rest of the division will be worse than that.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

No, because their top 10 rookie LT isn't coming off an injury. They played together on the same O-line in college. Wills protected Tua's blindside while Jonah was a strongside tackle for Bama his last year.

Read where Browns rook Willis is struggling with pass protection to the point they may flip Conklin over there and move him to RT...

Just read updated preseason ratings for

both lines..

The top tem offensive lines features Baltimore at 5 Cleveland at 6 and the Stealers at 10...

Bengals are ranked 30th...

Defensive lines have them 10 ...

Oline must perform above expectations..

If they do this will be Coach Turners greatest accomplisment in his career..

JB may lift them to play to their maximum effort and abilities....

Going to be interesting to watch this unit thruout the season..

Hart on his social media posts - his English is as 'goodly' as his OL play:

ESPN’s Ben Baby asked Hart about his social media presence, and the offensive lineman offered a response.

“I don’t mean to offend nobody,” said Hart. “I don’t discriminate against nobody. I know that everyone thinks differently and I know that I have a platform that sometimes people can see things and take it a certain way and I’m definitely aware of that. As you mature and grow I talked to the players, coaches, and things like that.

“I don’t discriminate or feel no type of way about nobody. I treat everybody the same. Just because you have different thoughts and different beliefs, that don’t mean anything. I feel like that’s one the most beautiful things about his world, about this team, about places. People come from different backgrounds and have different beliefs can come together and come to common goals and achievements.”

9 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Hart on his social media posts - his English is as 'goodly' as his OL play:

ESPN’s Ben Baby asked Hart about his social media presence, and the offensive lineman offered a response.

“I don’t mean to offend nobody,” said Hart. “I don’t discriminate against nobody. I know that everyone thinks differently and I know that I have a platform that sometimes people can see things and take it a certain way and I’m definitely aware of that. As you mature and grow I talked to the players, coaches, and things like that.

“I don’t discriminate or feel no type of way about nobody. I treat everybody the same. Just because you have different thoughts and different beliefs, that don’t mean anything. I feel like that’s one the most beautiful things about his world, about this team, about places. People come from different backgrounds and have different beliefs can come together and come to common goals and achievements.”

Just block effectively Bobby..

Let your play do the talking...

14 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Just block effectively Bobby..

Let your play do the talking...

He's already shown he can't do that.  Then he spent the offseason posting homophobic and antisemitic bullshit (among all kinds of other ignorant trash).

He's a shitty player and a shittier person.  I can't take any of this talk about character or winning seriously with him somehow still on the team.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

He's already shown he can't do that.  Then he spent the offseason posting homophobic and antisemitic bullshit (among all kinds of other ignorant trash).

He's a shitty player and a shittier person.  I can't take any of this talk about character or winning seriously with him somehow still on the team.

Lets just see what he brings to the Oline this year..

If hes still as bad then give  Fred Johnson or Adenijji his reps...

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Listening to pregame podcasts and radio today, apparently Bobby Hart has changed his body somewhat and should be quicker.

Ive seen him listed previously at 330 but recent articles have him at 310..

H'es supposed to go up against Melvin Ingram..

He better be quicker cuz Ingram is a quick load to deal with...

Heres the Olines challenge...

Chargers have Bosa Joseph Jones and Ingram up front..

Weak link is Jones...

XSF Will have to move him.and thats not his strength......hes a pass protector..77pff grade..

Mixon is going to have to Earn every yard...

Play action would work on Chargers if JB is good at it...???

Think of all the options hed have..

Tannehill has become a very good QB playing off Derek Henry...

He can handoff pass or run..

Hes good at it especially with Henry..

If JB puts this in his arsenal with Mixon the possibilities of big gains are limitless..

Oline has to perform well for this to happen..

Can Turner set their assess on fire beyond norm?? He better....

The Athletic's Ross Tucker rates the O-lines of the NFL. Bengals are last, Chargers are 31st.

• Last, and least, are the Bengals. The early reports on rookie quarterback Joe Burrow have been good. He’ll be trying to play behind a line that has plenty of questions but should at least be a little bit better with the return of left tackle Jonah Williams, a first-round pick in 2019 who missed last season with a shoulder injury.

https://theathletic.com/2066002/2020/09/16/tucker-evaluating-each-nfl-teams-offensive-line-with-the-season-underway/

Archived