Building the Oline.....

“I think I can do a better job of making one or two guys miss in the pocket,” Burrow said.

That quote should be read over and over and over again to the offensive line. Each and every day.

That's shameful, that Burrow has to say that. Beyond unreasonable. I mean, good on Burrow for trying to protect his line (better than they protect him) - but needing to make "1 or 2 guys miss in the pocket" on the regular is NOT reasonable to put on any human's shoulders. 

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

To my eye it looked like Billy Price was an improvement over ol' Fred. I'd say start Billy at RG next Sunday and insert Redmond if he sucks. These guys gotta realize it's a performance business

Ehhh Billy was getting tossed around like a child, got the crucial false start and the crucial hold.  If we're going to say anything positive about his play it's that he didn't actually hold the guy, he got screwed by the ref who allowed the player to call his own penalty after tripping on Hopkins' foot.  The downside of that, of course, is that Billy got beat as clean as a baby's powdered bottom, and wasn't even in position to commit a hold.

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

To my eye it looked like Billy Price was an improvement over ol' Fred. I'd say start Billy at RG next Sunday and insert Redmond if he sucks. These guys gotta realize it's a performance business

Billy Price should not be in the NFL based on his body of work. 

He sucks, he should not be on the team. Fred Johnson isn't much better, he's more physically gifted.

3 hours ago, membengal said:

That quote should be read over and over and over again to the offensive line. Each and every day.

That's shameful, that Burrow has to say that. Beyond unreasonable. I mean, good on Burrow for trying to protect his line (better than they protect him) - but needing to make "1 or 2 guys miss in the pocket" on the regular is NOT reasonable to put on any human's shoulders. 

Yeah that quote by JB says it all..

Jordan Johnson and Price played terrible as they have all season..

Jonah gave up a sack and probably a hit as well..

Bobby Hart may have had his best performance to date and he gave up a sack and hits as well!!

U fear is there will be a time when someone unloads again on JB and bury that right shoulder in the ground.

Its sick to watch those guys underperform..

26 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Mikey is one messed up old f*ck - how can you love having a 'bell cow' QB but not protect him? Makes zero sense. 

I dont get it either..

This sounds petty but who the fuck has guards at 6'6 and 6'7??

Apparently they dont realize leverage 

in the interior trenches is huge...

I dont know what to make of it..

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I dont get it either..

This sounds petty but who the fuck has guards at 6'6 and 6'7??

Apparently they dont realize leverage 

in the interior trenches is huge...

I dont know what to make of it..

If you have weak scouts and then you ask your bad OL coach to help scout, chances are you will draft bad players

22 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

If you have weak scouts and then you ask your bad OL coach to help scout, chances are you will draft bad players

Ive come to hate drafting Ohio St olinemen..

Looking around the league atcother ISU linemen..they arent any better..

Wyatt Davis is a highly favored olineme at guard!!

Very leery of him now..

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Mikey is one messed up old f*ck - how can you love having a 'bell cow' QB but not protect him? Makes zero sense. 

Just because he has no O line is no excuse to not draft Joe Burrow when you have the chance. MB has made plenty of mistakes but I'm glad his screw ups on the O line didn't keep him from drafting JB. As for this year's draft, it's looking like Tee Higgins was the right choice at #2

1 minute ago, Sea Ray said:

Just because he has no O line is no excuse to not draft Joe Burrow when you have the chance. MB has made plenty of mistakes but I'm glad his screw ups on the O line didn't keep him from drafting JB. As for this year's draft, it's looking like Tee Higgins was the right choice at #2

Not disagreeing with JB pick or Higgens - but we spent loads of FA money on D (and good for the team at least doing that) when clearly it should have focused on the OL FIRST. 

yeah, if we'd signed say Bryan Bulaga or Jack Conklin in free agency instead of Trae Waynes, we'd be a lot closer to a complete football team. The O-line would only be a little below average instead of at the bottom of the league. Burrow could work with just below average and we'd see the signs of an offensive powerhouse while the defense continued to struggle. 

The Bengals today have waived OL Shaq Calhoun. In a corresponding move, they’ve signed OL Keaton Sutherland from the practice squad. 

After the initial 53-man roster was set earlier this month, the Bengals made Calhoun, a second-year player, their only claim off of the waiver wire. He spent the first three weeks on the active roster but never played a down for the team.

Calhoun was originally waived by the Miami Dolphins during final cuts, as was Sutherland. A second-year player out of Texas A&M, Sutherland was originally a college free agent signee of the Bengals in 2019 and made the team’s practice squad for the first two weeks of that season. He was elevated for Week 3 and subsequently waived, giving Miami the chance to claim him. He spent the remainder of the year with the Dolphins.

Because he was signed from the practice squad, Sutherland must remain on the Bengals’ roster for at least the next three weeks. Considering the Bengals don’t have a definitive answer at the right guard position while Xavier Su’a-Filo recovers from an ankle injury, Sutherland could be whom they turn to next. As a reminder, he did play under Jim Turner at Texas A&M.

11 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

The Bengals today have waived OL Shaq Calhoun. In a corresponding move, they’ve signed OL Keaton Sutherland from the practice squad. 

After the initial 53-man roster was set earlier this month, the Bengals made Calhoun, a second-year player, their only claim off of the waiver wire. He spent the first three weeks on the active roster but never played a down for the team.

Calhoun was originally waived by the Miami Dolphins during final cuts, as was Sutherland. A second-year player out of Texas A&M, Sutherland was originally a college free agent signee of the Bengals in 2019 and made the team’s practice squad for the first two weeks of that season. He was elevated for Week 3 and subsequently waived, giving Miami the chance to claim him. He spent the remainder of the year with the Dolphins.

Because he was signed from the practice squad, Sutherland must remain on the Bengals’ roster for at least the next three weeks. Considering the Bengals don’t have a definitive answer at the right guard position while Xavier Su’a-Filo recovers from an ankle injury, Sutherland could be whom they turn to next. As a reminder, he did play under Jim Turner at Texas A&M.

Oh hell why not..

He could be bad and still be no worse than what we have..

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

IMHO this is another negative indicator of our coaching and scouting departments.  So they could have had either of these guys on the active roster from the beginning of the season and they picked Calhoun...that obviously didn't work out like they hoped, so now they're going to flip the coin to the "other guy".

I'm also thinking this doesn't bode well for XSF coming back anytime soon.

I know quality OLine personnel don't grow on trees, but this just screams failure and desperation to me.

I guess we all should feel honored that the team is at least doing something related to the OLine though, right?

It's really sad...I'm usually optimistic about the Bengals...overly optimistic actually...especially this early in the year.  But with a talent like JB just needing an extra 1/2 second, I can't help but be soured on the team for allowing the best player on the team (JB) to get broken.  They knew what that had in a pathetic OLine (gawd I hope they did anyway), they had opportunities to get JB some better protection, and chose to do almost nothing.  And now they are playing some meaningless shell game with practice squad level players?  I wish they'd do something drastic...like make a stunning trade that nobody would expect.  Holding my breath.

6 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

And sign your bell cow RB to a new deal and not have guys who can run block. 

They should call Cordy Glenn and have him play Guard. I know he quit on the team last year, but the Bengals should be desperate.  He knows the system. 

the line improved 1000x when he came back last year.  Every cent you pay him saves your franchise qb from getting killed. 

As if it wasn’t weird enough for Bengals players and coaches trying to figure out how to deal with a rare tie, things got stranger Monday afternoon.

Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan was on a conference call with reporters going over the options at the problem spot of right guard when he was asked about Shaq Calhoun, a second-year player the Bengals claimed off waivers from the Dolphins earlier this month.

Just as Callahan was finishing his comments on Calhoun, saying what he likes about him and how he’s in the mix, the Bengals sent out a press release that they had waived him.

“Apparently you just waived him,” a reporter informed Callahan.

“Did we? There’s your answer,” a bemused Callahan said. “Is there anybody else out there getting released that I didn’t know about?”

13 hours ago, SF2 said:

And sign your bell cow RB to a new deal and not have guys who can run block. 

It's simple, people like Mixon.  Fans are excited about drafting Burrow.  

The Brown family were literally on vacation in the Alps at the trade deadline last year.   IDK how much louder they can tell us they DGAF without hanging a banner on the stadium.

Their income is roughly the same whether they overpay for a last-minute replacement OT or they don't.  Why spend the extra money when they can just let Burrow get sacked 50 times?

Building a winning football team is hard you guys!

13 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

As if it wasn’t weird enough for Bengals players and coaches trying to figure out how to deal with a rare tie, things got stranger Monday afternoon.

Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan was on a conference call with reporters going over the options at the problem spot of right guard when he was asked about Shaq Calhoun, a second-year player the Bengals claimed off waivers from the Dolphins earlier this month.

Just as Callahan was finishing his comments on Calhoun, saying what he likes about him and how he’s in the mix, the Bengals sent out a press release that they had waived him.

“Did we? There’s your answer,” a bemused Callahan said. “Is there anybody else out there getting released that I didn’t know about?”

Jesus Christ. That's just piss poor. What an embarrassment.

17 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

JFC!!!   I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

DBcUtoo.png?fb

46 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Mike Brown ladies and gentlemen...Mike Brown!

Archived