Building the Oline.....

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Man as much as I want to improve that OL in the draft, I would absolutely kill to get a difference-maker in the front 7 on defense. One guy that scares the shit out of every OC in the league. When is the last time we’ve had that here? Not sure if that guy even exists at this point but they're trending toward the D needing a lot more help than the O when it’s all said and done, IMO..

GENO.. he was a top player in the NFL for a few years.

But I agree..we need a new dude like that 

9 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Or someone like Burfict that is not a head case

How was Burfict a head case? I don't remember him getting in trouble off the field even once.

I will forever believe that Burfict's greatest crime was daring to give the Stealers a taste of their own medicine. Those bitches cry-bullied him right out of the division. 

10 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Why do they have to be better? Other than Williams, the rest are a raving band of average to below average inconsistent wann-a-bees. I think we would all like to see a new OL coach next season but regardless if they go to camp again with the 'we like where we are' it will be another failure. 

The KEY to young players progressing is good coaching and that needs to be addressed first (in more than the OL area).

That’s what I meant to say lol..this line will be better next season with the experience of this year and yes, better coaching..Covid 19 hurt this team especially with no training camp, or offseason workout with Burrow

He was a pipe dream but the Ravens locked up Ronnie Stanley with a mega deal. One thing that hasn't changed about the game over the years is that good lines win football games. There are obviously a lot of holes to fill on this team but the offensive and defensive lines need to be the priority.  

19 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:
One thing that hasn't changed about the game over the years is that good lines win football games. 

I'm not a coach, or a professional scout / talent evaluator by any stretch of the imagination - but I can't understand why any coach does not start with this., That would be the first thing I would do if I was a coach. Of course, you need competent position coaches, but what you said is absolutely correct. With a good o-line, you can win a championship with mediocre QB's. I think that Mike Brown is obsessed with getting that diamond in the rough (ie budget players), and it fails *almost* every time.

35 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I'm thrilled with this signing. When Dunlap started whining and I heard Spain was on the outs in Buffalo, I was cool with a straight up swap. In the end they get Spain along with Finney and a 7th round pick in the last week. I am good with that. By no stretch do I think Spain is the next big thing but I think he's a sizeable upgrade to our currently rostered OGs. He's solid in pass protection so I'm hoping he can help Joe stay clean.

I'm assuming he's signed to the practice squad from a numbers perspective where he will be protected like a rostered player and can be called up to the active roster. My understanding is he will be active on Sunday.

17 minutes ago, Cricket said:

...will Covid-19 protocol allow that, or is there a quarantine period?

May be mistaken but I thought the delay in signing him was he was serving it

or waiting for the test results to come in.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

The Bengals signed free agent G Quinton Spain to the practice squad. To make room for Spain, the team released DE Kendall Futrell from the practice squad.

:::::::::

Wonder what numbers he and BJ Finney will have.

Maybe they can issue BJ number 69. :ninja:

29 minutes ago, Cricket said:

...will Covid-19 protocol allow that, or is there a quarantine period?

As Harry noted, the delay in signing was him clearing the waiting period. A player coming in from another team must, by rule, undergo a full battery of COVID-19 testing by his new team before he can enter the building. That means five consecutive days of negative tests and then a negative point-of-care test on the morning of the sixth day. He apparently arrived on Monday to begin the process. Finney, on the other hand, will not be available.

3 hours ago, Cat said:

I'm not a coach, or a professional scout / talent evaluator by any stretch of the imagination - but I can't understand why any coach does not start with this., That would be the first thing I would do if I was a coach. Of course, you need competent position coaches, but what you said is absolutely correct. With a good o-line, you can win a championship with mediocre QB's. I think that Mike Brown is obsessed with getting that diamond in the rough (ie budget players), and it fails *almost* every time.

Winning teams know the lines are crucial. They also know that guards and tackles don't carry much star power so some owners fall for that. Mikey remains an enigma because PB was a huge proponent of solid trenches.

Just another example of the difference between teams that WANT to win compered to those that HOPE to win. 

We keep hearing Mikey wants to win, but he doesn't because he won't change his business model. He hopes to win and if he does not, oh well, the team still made money.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

How was Burfict a head case? I don't remember him getting in trouble off the field even once.

I will forever believe that Burfict's greatest crime was daring to give the Stealers a taste of their own medicine. Those bitches cry-bullied him right out of the division. 

Agree that Burfict wasnt a head case

off the field..

He was a head case ON the field..

He along with Jones cost the team a playoff win..

A talented WLB with absolutely NO self control ...

4 hours ago, Cat said:

Stealers are proof of this.

Their philosophy is build a good Oline 

and front 7...

It works for them..why not us??

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

off the field..

I had a lot of trouble with Burfict's antics and inability to stay on the field due to suspensions and the obvious penalties that came with his lunacy BUT I will argue that Vontaze Burfict WON that game for the Bengals. He intercepted Roethlisberger at the Stealers 26 with 1:43 left in the game. If Jeremy Hill doesn't fumble, there's a chance Burfict never sees the field again in that game and the Bengals win. Jeremy Hill lost that game, not Vontaze Burfict.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

off the field..

If he did the same shit but for Pittsburgh he would've been celebreated for it.  Hell, Ryan Shazier did do the same shit & was celebrated for it, to the point of being hailed as some kind of hero for not quite paralyzing himself on yet another dirty hit.

41 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I had a lot of trouble with Burfict's antics and inability to stay on the field due to suspensions and the obvious penalties that came with his lunacy BUT I will argue that Vontaze Burfict WON that game for the Bengals. He intercepted Roethlisberger at the Stealers 26 with 1:43 left in the game. If Jeremy Hill doesn't fumble, there's a chance Burfict never sees the field again in that game and the Bengals win. Jeremy Hill lost that game, not Vontaze Burfict.

Good point...

Oh the good and bad about his playing style..

You could jump for joy at his good plays and go out if your mind with his penalties..

Archived