Building the Oline.....

I think a lot of you guys are ignoring an important thing: the o-line, as offensive as it was last season, got better WITHOUT Williams as guys were shuffled, settled into roles and found a spot. It literally improved. I could SEE it.

Mixon's games in the latter half of the season reflect that.  Other than Hart we don't have any BAD players that we're aware of, and I honestly will be surprised if Hart is even starting this season. He'll be a vet backup, which is where he belongs. 

Plus we DO get Williams back and we drafted that dude from K-State that can ball. I actually for once have confidence in the direction of the team, etc. Seriously!

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I think a lot of you guys are ignoring an important thing: the o-line, as offensive as it was last season, got better WITHOUT Williams as guys were shuffled, settled into roles and found a spot. It literally improved. I could SEE it.

Mixon's games in the latter half of the season reflect that.  Other than Hart we don't have any BAD players that we're aware of, and I honestly will be surprised if Hart is even starting this season. He'll be a vet backup, which is where he belongs. 

Plus we DO get Williams back and we drafted that dude from K-State that can ball. I actually for once have confidence in the direction of the team, etc. Seriously!

Truth to that..

Well said..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably in the minority but I am still a big Billy Price fan and hoping he can come into his own this year and light 'em up.

He would make an excellent addition at Guard and paired with Jonah... get rid of the ass hat ORT and it would be very nice, indeed.

Is this the year Billy Price hits his stride?

The former Ohio State center gets another shot, this time at guard.

By Dadio Makdook@dadiodefacto  Aug 7, 2020, 9:00am EDT  

NFL: NOV 10 Ravens at BengalsPhoto by Ian Johnson/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Billy Price’s career has not gone as planned so far. 

Drafted to be the Bengals’ starting center in 2018, Price has been plagued with injuries and moved to guard following the emergence of Trey Hopkins. But Price’s fortunes should be changing very soon. 

In January, Price went to Dallas, Texas to work with offensive line guru Duke Mayweather, who gave him a full evaluation. 

“Within a week and a half, my back was fixed,” Price said in our interview with him earlier this offseason. In fact, it appears it was not even a back injury but rather hip tightness. He’s now doing what he calls “preventative maintenance” to avoid another foot injury. He said his feet and his mental health are now “fantastic.”

Price showcased some growing pains whilst playing guard last year. He should be much improved in his second year at the position, especially considering the Bengals’ 

Billy Price

Height: 6-4

Weight: 310 lbs

College: Ohio State

Hometown: Austintown, Ohio

Experience: 3 years

Cap Status

Price is in the third year of his rookie deal. In 2020, he’ll have a base salary of $1.5 million and a cap hit of $3.2 million. Most significantly, his dead cap hit would be $4.8 million, making it highly unlikely the Bengals cut ties with him this year.

Background

Very rarely do collegiate offensive linemen start anywhere near 50 games for their school. Price started 55 games—to be exact—for Ohio State, which is every game he could’ve possibly played in. Price was counted on from day one and never missed a single game for the Scarlet and Gray. 

By his senior year, Price had made the transition from guard to center and was earning praise from scouts and draft analysts. The tenacious blocker had a knack for being a road grader in the running game and keeping pockets clean in pass protection. Due to a pectoral injury he suffered during the NFL combine, we were unable to see Price perform in the athleticism testing drills. This did not stop the Bengals from selecting him with the 21st overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, one pick after the Detroit Lions made Frank Ragnow the first center taken. 

Ever since the combine, injuries have followed Price. A foot strain derailed his rookie season, in which he started 10 games, and plantar fasciitis nixed the beginning of last year for him. He was beaten out by Hopkins for the starting job at center during the preseason and assumed the role as the primary backup for all three interior spots on the line. He went on to make eight starts at guard. 

Price received the benefit of doubt early in his career due to his draft position, but he now has to prove his worth. Offensive coordinator Brian Callahan stated as much back in February. That means Price will be in the guard rotation and get the opportunity to earn a starting spot, most likely at right guard. 

Outlook for 2020

An injury to Xavier Su’a-Filo gives Price yet another opportunity to demonstrate his worth. The day after Su’a-Filo was placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list, Price was seen starting at right guard in practice. Sure, it’s very early, but Su’a-Filo’s injury could give Price enough time to show just how far he’s come. 

It’s just not financially wise to cut Price loose just yet. He’s an ideal backup at guard and center, and now he’s playing with added motivation as a backup. Expect Price to get some snaps at both guard positions, even if he does not start. In fact, the entire right side of the Bengals’ line could change from game to game as a result of a lack of clear-cut starters. 

Roster odds: 90%

33 minutes ago, membengal said:

I think Jonah Williams is a massive improvement. So, yeah, him being healthy is a step forward.

Man, if we're relying on him to solve everything...  At best he's an unproven rookie, but these guys that get hurt their first 5 minutes in camp, IDK.  Maybe it's the last significant injury he has for the next 10 years but from what I've seen that's rarely the case.   At the very least I'd be looking for another Winston type at the end of their career to come in and mentor the guy, split a few reps when the predictable newbie struggles happen, because they will. At worst they are good for 1/2 a season in relief if it comes to that.

People tend to think I'm bashing Williams or Burrow, but it's not about the individuals.   Bad teams rely on rookies.  Good teams make them earn their starts.  Doesn't mean they are bad players, they just lack experience - but the team can't even pretend to have other options on this roster.

I've never had any faith in Turner but I really think mixing him with Bobby Shart is going to poison the entire OL.  Turner publicly went all-in on an objectively awful player and given his nature, I expect he will blame everyone else for Hart's failings.

If I'm being completely honest I think our coaching/FO are full of shit.  Taylor so far to me looks like someone doing a good impression of an NFL coach.  He says all the right stuff, he sounds enthusiastic (which is a nice change I admit) but he fielded a team last year that didn't even know how to block or tackle.  Compounded by a minimal TC and no preseason, I am very skeptical of his ability to instill these fundamentals in a group so lacking in vocal veteran leaders.

This was the worst team in the NFL last year but they're acting like they lost another WC game or some shit.  From where I'm sitting, they're not close.  I'm just hoping they can not give up another 50 sacks & maybe flirt with 8-8.   That would be a successful season to me but the fanbase seems to be expecting a miracle.

/rant

I don't think most of Bengaldom is expecting a Super Bowl or even playoffs this year.  It's Year 2 of a major overhaul and we just picked first overall.  Last year was a disaster on multiple fronts and certainly the o-line deserves blame for the offensive struggles.   Injuries and inexperience had a hand in it, but so did flat out poor play.  Most teams are going to struggle starting John Jerry and Bobby Hart at OT and it is not a coincidence that we saw improvement down the stretch with better health and experience.  If the unit can avoid being decimated by injury, I am optimistic we will see improvement.   They showed it in the second half last season and there is room for more with young talent like Williams, Jordan,  and Johnson.  It sucks Williams had surgery for a pre existing injury but continuing to whine about it does nothing at this point.   He has no greater risk for other injuries than anyone else and by all accounts he' s coming back jacked and motivated to atone.  Besides if it hadn't happened we almost certainly don't get Burrow at #1 to build around.  

The Bengals should be better at every position on the OL but RT.  I agree that was a huge miss in the offseason, but the unit should be better.  Williams at LT should be an improvement over bad players there.  He doesn't have to be an all-pro to be an improvement.  Average would be an improvement.  Michael Jordan and Trey Hopkins should be better just from a year of experience.  Hoping Sua'-Filo is an upgrade at RG. 

Expectations are a bit high.  I think the Bengals will improve, it would be hard not to, but 8-8 would be a solid step forward.  Forrest Gregg's first season in 1980 after the disaster of Homer Rice was an improvement from 4-12 to 6-10.  Doesn't sound like much, but we all know what happened in 1981.  Give the kid a year to learn how to play NFL QB before expecting miracles.

Yeah, 5 or 6 wins seems likely. We'll probably finish 4th in the division again this year and might only win 1 or 2 games vs AFCN. But if Burrow gets his rookie mistakes out of the way and some of the younger players develop, then 2021 could be a playoff year. That's even if AJ or WJ3 leave. Bengals went on a free agent spending spree this year but we will have the 3rd most cap room in the league in 2021 and with a reduction in the cap likely, there should be plenty of talent available to go with a top 10 pick.

The O-line improved when Cordy Glenn took the field. He's not here now. It's reasonable to expect improvement from Jordan and Fred Johnson. Maybe Hopkins but probably not. Jonah Williams might be better than Glenn was but he might not be, at least as a rookie. Hart is what he is and XSF is playing a new position. The coach is unlikely to have become better during the offseason.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:00 PM, sparky151 said:

The O-line improved when Cordy Glenn took the field. He's not here now. It's reasonable to expect improvement from Jordan and Fred Johnson. Maybe Hopkins but probably not. Jonah Williams might be better than Glenn was but he might not be, at least as a rookie. Hart is what he is and XSF is playing a new position. The coach is unlikely to have become better during the offseason.

I am thinking about a 1 day ban for mentioning Corey Glenn. I was so close to forgetting that bum. 

14 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Billy Price is now a power guard...

His weight is up to 330 ..

Hes a hardnose player who may be healthy for the first time..

A line of. Jonah, Jordan,  Hopkins, Price and Johnson would be my guess for opening day.. I feel good about that unit..

...how much longer did his arms get?😒

[Asking for a friend.]

He’s supposedly held up really well in camp so far. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up the starter at RG before it’s over with. The dude was always rock solid up in Columbus and was very well coached. There’s no real reason why he shouldn’t at least be a starting caliber OL in the NFL. 

17 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Perfect player under the ML regime

Man, that "just cashing checks" culture does NOT come from Marvin Lewis.   The just-enough-to-get-by attitude is 100% coming from the top.

All you folks that want to think everything bad left with Marvin & Andy are kidding yourselves.  This organization failed them much more than the other way around.  The people who signed off on all those bad decisions are still running the team.  Again, it starts at the top.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Man, that "just cashing checks" culture does NOT come from Marvin Lewis.   The just-enough-to-get-by attitude is 100% coming from the top.

All you folks that want to think everything bad left with Marvin & Andy are kidding yourselves.  This organization failed them much more than the other way around.  The people who signed off on all those bad decisions are still running the team.  Again, it starts at the top.

I agree but ML failed to change in the culture enough or nearly enough on my mind. He ended up part of the problem not the solution. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I can’t really disagree with this, but Marvin “clap, clap, clap” Lewis was never able to motivate his teams.  Of course, that task would be easier if you have the Ray Lewis type of players on your roster that are good at motivating their teammates, 

And while it is true  that Zac Taylor “motivated” his team only to a 2-14 record last year, you cannot deny that this past off-season has been like no other...in a good way.  And that includes the character and leadership of the players being brought in through free-agency and the draft.

So, I believe that there is definitely a culture shift happening...even with “the people who signed off on all those bad decisions still running the team.”  I am excited about that culture shift and hope that is enough to overcome the the ones “at the top.” 

Don’t rain on my parade.

🦗

Archived