Building the Oline.....

3 minutes ago, gupps said:

If there's not a good OL prospect at 2, LB is about the only other position I'd want to draft. Can always trade down if neither are there.

Or they could take a safety or WR....you know, other positions of need.

37 minutes ago, gupps said:

If there's not a good OL prospect at 2, LB is about the only other position I'd want to draft. Can always trade down if neither are there.

Minor point: Not “always”.  There has to be at least one team looking to trade up...and agreeing to the terms.

Why do So many people believe wr is such a big need early in the draft.   We are drafting a franchise qb. It makes a lot more sense to protect him than give him another wr.  We already have plenty of  weapons for burrow   What we don’t have is nfl caliber offensive line. We currently have 2 starting caliber lineman and one has never played an NFL snap. With a franchise QB I’d much rather have a good oline with average wrs than a shit line with great wrs.  A WR shouldn’t even be considered until the 5th round 

9 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I did..i think hes in the mix with Cleveland and the others i mentioned..high to mid pick round 3...

I saw one mock that had the. Bengals landing Josh Jones which would be good .

Im thinking if the top 6 are gone Id be looking hard at backers or wr...

Some have us drafting Zach Braun or Laviska Shenault in round 2..

Like i said before some first round picks will likely drop and Bengals draft first there plus every other top pick in each round is a huge advantage..

Paul Alexander absolutely love Niang. States he reminds him of everything he saw in Whit when he was recruiting him. Points to the fact that he never allowed a sack in his college career. Unlike many NFL RT who played LT in college and had to move to the right side due to physical limitations. Niang has LT physical gifts who has played RT throughout his career. If the hip checks out I'd have 0 issue with him at 33. Would like him better at 66, but he wont make it

30 minutes ago, bengals7833 said:

Why do So many people believe wr is such a big need early in the draft.   We are drafting a franchise qb. It makes a lot more sense to protect him than give him another wr.  We already have plenty of  weapons for burrow   What we don’t have is nfl caliber offensive line. We currently have 2 starting caliber lineman and one has never played an NFL snap. With a franchise QB I’d much rather have a good oline with average wrs than a shit line with great wrs.  A WR shouldn’t even be considered until the 5th round 

It’s simple really. WR is a legit need and it’s likely the strongest position on the board when we get on the clock at 33. It’s not smart picking a worse player at a position of need when better players are on the board. It’s how you end up with Billy Price and Jake Fisher. Me personally, I would love a stud Safety at 33 but I doubt one falls, so if that’s the case, just give me the best player on the board...which will likely be a WR. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

It’s simple really. WR is a legit need and it’s likely the strongest position on the board when we get on the clock at 33. It’s not smart picking a worse player at a position of need when better players are on the board. It’s how you end up with Billy Price and Jake Fisher. Me personally, I would love a stud Safety at 33 but I doubt one falls, so if that’s the case, just give me the best player on the board...which will likely be a WR. 

I'd like it more if it meant moving AJ and/or Ross.  If not that's 2 1st round picks & a signficant chunk of salary invested in 2 WR's that have barely touched the field the last couple of years.  If that's still a position of need with those 2 guys on the roster plus Boyd & Tate there's a problem.  

2 hours ago, bengals7833 said:

This. Also an NFL caliber line gives Mixon some decent holes allowing the Bengals to run more and keep Burrow protected while he gets up to speed on the pro game.

Everyone knows we need more good o-lineman, the problem is though, reaching for one just because it’s a need is about the most counterproductive move you can make in the draft. It’s almost a sure fire way to end up with a bust....i.e. Billy Price, Jake Fisher, Cedric Ogb. 

BPA...that’s how you end up with difference makers.

Pick for need...that’s how you end up with Billy Price. 

Again, taking an average OL at 33 over a WR who is clearly the better overall player is about as counterproductive as you can get. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The problem wasn't using high draft picks on the O-line, it's that the guys they picked didn't develop into good players. 

Almost like the franchise is cursed.  

43 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Btw, Bengals were in on the Hopkins talks. How much you want to bet that they offered up pick 33? Whether it’s a vet or a rookie, that pick is almost certainly earmarked for a WR, IMO.  

Wideout. or linebacker ..

Cornerback maybe..

Theyre going to get a good player at 33...

8 hours ago, bengals7833 said:

👍

9 hours ago, bengals7833 said:

Understood your point..

There only shot at that is the draft now..the top four linemen will be long gone before 33...

Austin Jackson and JoshJones are next..

Maybe Jackson..

Jones and the rest left have some big issues in their games that may take a yr or two to work out...

Olinemen are a hot commodity since every team but a few have openings to upgrade...

I hate to say itbut if they let Hart walk there would be multiple teams calling his agent about a starting role..

On 3/20/2020 at 8:14 AM, bfine said:

Paul Alexander absolutely love Niang. 

He can whip open a bottle of ketchup and make a perfect pile for french fry dipping like nobody's business.

Archived