Best Bengal Linebacker

.........in recent history is back on the market:

https://news.yahoo.com/report-nfl-reinstates-lb-burfict-195327701.html

The NFL "quietly" reinstated linebacker Vontaze Burfict from suspension last month, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday......

Burfict's agent, Peter Schaffer, said the eight-year NFL veteran has been working out at his alma mater, Arizona State.

"Vontaze has spent the entire offseason studying and learning the proper code of conduct for participation in the NFL," Schaffer said, per Pelissero. "He has watched tape, talked with coaches and NFL experts doing everything he can to conform his passionate play to the rules of the NFL."

Interesting that he's working out at ASU. Anyone know a member of that defensive staff?

I'd take Burfict back in a second. Of course with 0 in guaranteed money, but a lot in incentives. 

1 hour ago, bfine said:

.........in recent history is back on the market:

https://news.yahoo.com/report-nfl-reinstates-lb-burfict-195327701.html

Interesting that he's working out at ASU. Anyone know a member of that defensive staff?

I'd take Burfict back in a second. Of course with 0 in guaranteed money, but a lot in incentives. 

Lmao...uh NO TKS...

Damn, I thought this was going to be a Ricky Hunley thread.   You may laugh but trading his rights to Denver because his contract demands were whack ( guy wanted expensive cars and real estate)  netted us Tim McGee (1986 first round pick), David Fulcher (1986 third round pick).

6 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

yeah.. I loved Burfict, but that ship has probably sailed.

A few reasons i have..

He cant conrol his emotions..

The days of 6'1 260lb backers are done..

New era of quickness at that position..

I still remember the end of the playoff game with the Stools..

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

A few reasons i have..

I agree on the speed aspect.  I watched a few Raider games and he was SLOOOOWWW.   That and almost every play he was around he was diving in with this helmet.  

How about bring back the LB from Kansas drafted in the second round behind Anthony Munoz who went in the first (duh)?

Kirby Criswell

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Kirby Lynn Criswell (born August 31, 1957) is a former linebacker for the St. Louis Cardinals in the NFL and a 2nd round draft pick in the 1980 NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals..

Football career[edit]

Criswell was born and raised in Grinnell, Iowa where he attended Grinnell High School. A standout in high school, Criswell was recruited to play collegiate football by several universities. He elected to play for the University of Kansas. The Jayhawks did not produce any strong teams during his time with them, but Criswell was noticed due to his passionate style of play. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round of the 1980 NFL draft.[1] Criswell, who sported a Mohawk hairstyle during training camp,[2] was waived by the Bengals before the start of 1980 football season but then signed by Green Bay.[3] Green Bay cut Criswell two days later.[4]

Less than a month after his signing, Criswell was arrested on federal drug charges.[8] On June 2, 1982, Criswell was found guilty by a federal jury of possessing marijuana and conspiring to manufacture and distribute methamphetamine.[9] He was subsequently sentenced to five years in prison.[10] After his sentencing, Criswell said a recently published Sports Illustrated article on Don Reese may have hurt his cause.[11]

Criswell never played in the NFL again.

(per Trumpy) Criswell was infamous for showing up to practice in Wilmington tripping on LSD.  Once was missing at dinner and a search party found him in the woods around the practice field grooving on the drug enchanted forest.  Mike Brown refused to sign Dan Marino because of reports that he used marijuana in college but was OK with Criswell because he had never heard of LSD.

Criswell has the distinction of being the highest drafted rookie to be cut in training camp.

He is on my All Bengals Team. 

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

A few reasons i have..

Of the 5 LBs that made All-Pro this past year; 4 were over 240. When did the age of the big LB end?

48 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

The recently departed Buckeye Bozo posted on his Facialbook page that he votes

for Steve Tovar.

& Bobbie Hart is a homophobic anti-vax Flat Earther.  I doubt I'd want to dig too deep into most NFL player personalities.   

11 hours ago, Jimmy D said:

Takeo Spikes in facts.  Pollack in hype.  

Loved TKO. but not sure 18 years ago is recent history. Poor TKO. he always had the ability to leave a team just before they made it to the playoffs

18 minutes ago, bfine said:

Loved TKO. but not sure 18 years ago is recent history. Poor TKO. he always had the ability to leave a team just before they made it to the playoffs

No kidding.  Guy never made it to the playoffs I don't think.  

Once more time, the best linebacker the Bengals ever drafted was Ricky Hunley.  Hands down the best LB pick ever.  His refusal to sign resulted in Denver giving us a 1 and 3 for the next season.  Those 2 players were 2 of the best players ever to wear stripes:  Tim Magee and David Fulcher. 

Honorable mention for Brian Simmons.   There were a few times he took over a game even playing on some really shaky defenses.  I wouldn't say best overall but he was definitely the best LB we had for a stretch.   Guess he's a regional scout for Jacksonville now.  Wonder what that's like...

Archived