Tagovailoa Era

Joe couldn't make the grade at OSU and chose to turn tail, like the yella bellied coward he is, to LSU and injury lucked his way into a NFL ready roster that chewed up future physicists and would have done so without him.  

Gimme the tide.  Saban forever. 

<<<<<<<Ninja goes here.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:28 PM, SF2 said:

I am trying out for ESPN. Working on my conspiracy theories. 

Is there a grassy knoll in Vegas?

Hey, maybe Burrow can be our "Magic Bullet" to get a playoff win.

8 hours ago, Jimmy D said:

Joe couldn't make the grade at OSU and chose to turn tail, like the yella bellied coward he is, to LSU and injury lucked his way into a NFL ready roster that chewed up future physicists and would have done so without him.  

image.png      <<<<<<<Ninja goes here.

8 hours ago, Jimmy D said:

<<<<<<<Ninja goes here.

LSU had a better OL than us last year

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

LSU had a better OL than us last year

Not really, Burrow was sacked a ton and had to scramble often. Their starting LT missed multiple games because of a suspension, they weren't considered a top unit. There's 3 LSU OL players in the draft, none of them are considered first round talents. 

12 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Not really, Burrow was sacked a ton and had to scramble often. Their starting LT missed multiple games because of a suspension, they weren't considered a top unit. There's 3 LSU OL players in the draft, none of them are considered first round talents. 

This.  They had a good O line, nothing more. Their skill position players were very good but not  as good as Alabama’s unit.  A healthy Joe Burrow verses a nicked up Tua was the deciding factor in that game.  Both QBs were exceptional college QBs.

6 minutes ago, SF2 said:

This.  They had a good O line, nothing more. Their skill position players were very good but not  as good as Alabama’s unit.  A healthy Joe Burrow verses a nicked up Tua was the deciding factor in that game.  Both QBs were exceptional college QBs.

Exactly. JB is a case of a QB making an Oline look better than it really was. Some around here think that is not possible.

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

So that's a no?  Some people act like he's the first quarterback to get away from a pass rusher that can't tackle.   :whistle:

Exactly. UGA defenders are known for their inability to tackle. It's either that or it could just maybe be this:

Joe Burrow loves for defenses to bring pressure against 5 man protection. He loves this because he prides himself on the presnap read and knowing where the pressure the opponent is bringing will create a lapse in coverage. He then manipulates the pocket to negate the pressure and take advantage of the coverage. This led to him being constantly pressured and making numerous plays like the one provided.

It's either that or UGA can't tackle. 

1 minute ago, bfine said:

Exactly. UGA defenders are known for their inability to tackle. It's either that or it could just maybe be this:

Joe Burrow loves for defenses to bring pressure against 5 man protection. He loves this because he prides himself on the presnap read and knowing where the pressure the opponent is bringing will create a lapse in coverage. He then manipulates the pocket to negate the pressure and take advantage of the coverage. This led to him being constantly pressured and making numerous plays like the one provided.

It's either that or UGA can't tackle. 

That's great but you were answering a question of whether he was sacked 48 times with a video of a QB scramble.  That's how many sacks the Bengals OL allowed last season.  

Just now, PatternMaster said:

He was sacked 69 times in 28 games, which is about 2.5 sacks per game. 

Considering the considerable difference in the level of competition I wouldn't say LSU's oline was stellar. 

That's still better than the Bengals OL. but god damn.. So that's our plan, let him get sacked 2-3 times a game because he's just so golly-gee awesome?

Really not looking forward to the fans turning on him when he can't magically fix this team single-handedly.  

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's great but you were answering a question of whether he was sacked 48 times with a video of a QB scramble.  That's how many sacks the Bengals OL allowed last season.  

I just want to make sure I understand your stance before I share the next bit of info with you. Are you suggesting sacks allowed are the primary stat we should when judging olines?

The clip provided was to illustrate the some QB can avoid sacks or even more importantly excel under pressure instead of folding like lawn furniture. But if you what to make it as simple as sacks. I fear you may not like the next thing I share. 

Just now, bfine said:

I just want to make sure I understand your stance before I share the next bit of info with you. Are you suggesting sacks allowed are the primary stat we should when judging olines?

I typically look at both sacks allowed & the team's YPC rushing.   What do you suggest, fuzzy math PFF numbers?

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I typically look at both sacks allowed & the team's YPC rushing.   What do you suggest, fuzzy math PFF numbers?

Nah, we can use your criteria (even if it's flawed). We finished 23 in sacks allowed and 25 in YPC, so we were around 24ish in the NFL. I can buy that. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

That's still better than the Bengals OL. but god damn.. So that's our plan, let him get sacked 2-3 times a game because he's just so golly-gee awesome?

Really not looking forward to the fans turning on him when he can't magically fix this team single-handedly.  

Who said that was the plan? Hopefully the oline will continue to improve like they did as the season progressed. 

The Bengals started Smith and Jerry at LT for the majority of the season, I doubt that will be the case for the upcoming season. I think the oline will be improved because of better talent and the coaching staff having more time to get guys who fit their system. 

There's plenty of things a team can do to cut down on the sacks allowed, having a mobile QB that has a great pocket presence is a start. 

Archived